SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 19.07.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Sensitive-Cloud-1489:

Am I being unreasonable for telling my vegan sister to serve me meat?

'My vegan sister bought a house that needs a lot of work. I agreed to help if she provided food and materials.

I’m anemic and fainted a lot as a kid. Most of my meals have meat or are high in protein. The vegan meals my sister serves leave me hungry and lightheaded. The work is tough, and working from morning to late afternoon makes me feel awful by the end of the day.

I brought my own food one day, and it was fine. So, I asked her to make heavier, protein-rich meals, but it hasn't been working.

Yesterday, I fainted and told her I needed meals with meat or I couldn't continue the remodelling. She thinks I’m a huge jerk, but I’m standing firm. I won’t bring my own food since I’m already doing her a huge favour.'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she is being a jerk. Protein has nothing to do with low iron. Meat has nothing to do with low iron. Just as many meat eaters have anemia as non-meat eaters. A balanced diet is what decides whether you have anaemia and faint or not. Maybe she should get over herself, and eat a balanced diet and she would not have the problems she is having.

I sympathize with your dilemma but whatever else you do, you must stay firm about the diet you need.
I am tired of being informed by people, who have been invited for a meal, that they are either vegetarian or vegan. I have always catered to their preferences but sadly have never had the same kindness in return, so in my house now it's, if you don't like it don't come.
Maybe you should take your own food and ask for payment for services rendered.

Yes, she is being a jerk. Protein has nothing to do with low iron. Meat has nothing to do with low iron. Just as many meat eaters have anemia as non-meat eaters. A balanced diet is what decides whether you have anaemia and faint or not. Maybe she should get over herself, and eat a balanced diet and she would not have the problems she is having.
red meat is a source of iron.

I sympathize with your dilemma but whatever else you do, you must stay firm about the diet you need.
I am tired of being informed by people, who have been invited for a meal, that they are either vegetarian or vegan. I have always catered to their preferences but sadly have never had the same kindness in return, so in my house now it's, if you don't like it don't come.
Maybe you should take your own food and ask for payment for services rendered.
It is nice of you to cater for them. It is also easy, you leave the meat off their plate and give them more veggies. You can buy a vegetarian protein alternative. But, that is irrelevant if you have cooked a legume. Legumes are high in protein.

It is a known fact that some meat has a higher iron content than others do.

Reactions: Bridgit
From what I understand is - meat contains haem iron which is easier to absorb. Whereas, plant based foods are non haem iron and harder to absorb so you need to eat greater quantities of these foods.
I would bring my own food and help my sister, as it's not worth the ill effects and angst.

Reactions: natalielocket
Your sister because of your HISTORY of being sick and fainting most definitely should be serving you YOUR diet, I dare say your serve HER VEGAN at your place so she should do that as well. SHE IS WHAT SHE EATS A VEG HEAD NO FEELINGS NO BRAINS.

Reactions: Bridgit
Im sure this person is on medication for low iron so not being served meat should not be such a problem. Packing some meat into a container and take it along wouldn't be such a hard task to keep the peace. Think the main issue here she doesn't like vegan food. Go buy a burger on the way home.

Reactions: Chays
Im sure this person is on medication for low iron so not being served meat should not be such a problem. Packing some meat into a container and take it along wouldn't be such a hard task to keep the peace. Think the main issue here she doesn't like vegan food. Go buy a burger on the way home.
Better still - don't go and work your guts out for someone who wants freebies!

From what I understand is - meat contains haem iron which is easier to absorb. Whereas, plant based foods are non haem iron and harder to absorb so you need to eat greater quantities of these foods.
I would bring my own food and help my sister, as it's not worth the ill effects and angst.
Research indicates that high heme intake is associated with an increased risk of several cancers, including colorectal cancer, pancreatic cancer and lung cancer.
I will take my chances with the harder-to-absorb plant-based non-haem iron.

Yep, like so many people they are anti vegan and must have their meat. The world would be healthier if less meat was eaten.

Research indicates that high heme intake is associated with an increased risk of several cancers, including colorectal cancer, pancreatic cancer and lung cancer.
I will take my chances with the harder-to-absorb plant-based non-haem iron.
I agree. Eating a huge amount of any source of food isn't a good idea. I personally knew a young mother who was vegan and she died of breast cancer. It was very sad. Food isn't the holy grail imo -if it was Oncologists would be out of a job.

Yep, like so many people they are anti vegan and must have their meat. The world would be healthier if less meat was eaten.
OH! go away. meat has been eaten much longer than this vegan rubbish in fact since time was born.. what will you do when your iron levels drop? Please do not tell me you would take a iron tablet. All these stupid fads give me the s....a

OH! go away. meat has been eaten much longer than this vegan rubbish in fact since time was born.. what will you do when your iron levels drop? Please do not tell me you would take a iron tablet. All these stupid fads give me the s....a
Yep go away, when you are all dead from no iron in your body we will have the last laugh. Every Vegan I know has had to have a trip to HOSPITAL because they DESPERATELY NEEDED IRON, they can't even get their own diet right.

• Haha
Reactions: Jest