SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Danielle G.

Danielle G.

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 23, 2024
AIBU 16.08.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Top-Customer7417:

Am I being unreasonable for not paying for the funeral of my neighbour's dog?

'About two weeks ago, my neighbour's dog ran into the road while I was backing out to leave for work and he ran behind my car.'

'I did not see the dog nor was the dog on a leash. The dog was killed by my vehicle and now, they want me to pay and supply a funeral for the dog.'

'I reluctantly agreed, feeling bad for the situation even though I am not the one at fault.'

'However, when I was told that it would cost $20,000, I refused. I thought it would be maybe a few hundred, just to have a small ceremony for the family, only to find out they have already made plans to book an entire venue with catering.'

'The worst part is they also want me to pay for a casket for the dog.'

'After refusing this, they said that they would be contacting a lawyer, as would I.'

'I don't see any reason why they would need this for a dog, and why I should be the one to pay for it. Am I being unreasonable?'

I think that is ridiculous to expect you to at for this, that’s far more than an impressive funeral for a person costs. Your neighbour is preying on your good nature and sympathy. He should not have had his dog out without a leash. I would say after considering the matter you have decided it was a sad accident and since the dog should not have been running without supervision you are declining such an unreasonable settlement. (We buried our darling dog in our back garden and then planted a rose on her grave). Impressive funerals don’t indicate the value of a person anyway

I think that is ridiculous . They are preying on your guilt and sympathy. A persons funeral doesn’t cost that much. And the cost of it proves nothing. We buried our darling dog in the back garden and planted a rose on her grave. Say on reflection you are not going to foot the bill. Since you say he threatened getting advice from a lawyer obviously he’s ready for a fight and not being very nice about it. Tell him to go ahead and you will defend it because the dog should have been supervised. It must have been an awful accident but that is what it was.

Are these people for REAL. Who spends $20,000 for a funeral for a animal. I'm a lover of dogs, but I wouldn't spend that much. You can get a animal cremated for a lot lot lot less and can also attend the cremation. You are not in the wrong for refusing. Sorry the dog died but it's their fault not having the dog secured in their yard.

Reactions: Littleboy8