Aged home faces $66,000 worth of fines after negligence resulting in fatality

Disclaimer: This article discusses distressing topics about death. Reader discretion is advised.

Aged homes are spaces meant to be a safe sanctuary for some elders.

As these homes take residents in, they must be following safety protocols and procedures.

However, one aged home failed to take safety into account and is now facing hefty fines due to one tragic mistake.

The Broadmeadows Magistrates Court fined the Blue Cross Community Care Services $66,000 after a death happened in one of their homes.

In 2021, a 90-year-old man went out of his private bedroom at Blue Cross Glenroy and rested his feet against a hydronic heater mounted on the wall.

The prolonged contact resulted in severe burns on both of his feet.

compressed-shutterstock_emergency room.jpeg
The Blue Cross Community Services are now required to pay $66,000 in fines after the death of a resident. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Adam Calaitzis

The Royal Melbourne Hospital turned the man away due to the aged-care home's COVID-19 status.

Instead, he was given in-home treatment by the hospital.

The man's condition deteriorated over the following weeks and forced the medical team to amputate four toes from his left foot.

They also performed a skin graft on his right foot.

These measures were not enough, and the patient succumbed to sepsis in March 2022.

The incident raised questions about the room layouts and the placement of potentially dangerous fixtures in the aged home.

A WorkSafe inspector issued an improvement notice on the home in December 2021, highlighting the risks posed by hydronic heaters in such environments.

Several advisories from the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission also pointed out the risks associated with furniture placement, room layouts, and the vulnerabilities of residents.

'There was a risk of serious injury arising from residents coming into prolonged contact with hydronic wall heaters in resident's rooms,' the WorkSafe statement wrote.

'There were 90 hydronic heaters located in residents' rooms at the workplace. The offender knew or ought to have known of the risk to its residents.'

Blue Cross Community Care Group Services Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to a single offence after failing to eliminate the risk of serious injuries.

Apart from the $66,000 fine, they paid $4,132 in costs.

Had the company not pleaded guilty, the aged home could have been sentenced with conviction and a $200,000 fine.

This incident is a wake-up call for all aged-care facilities to assess potential hazards within their homes rigorously.

It is also a reminder to be vigilant and advocate for the safety and dignity of those in aged homes.
Key Takeaways

• An elderly resident at a Blue Cross Community Care Services aged facility died from burns sustained from a hydronic heater.
  • Blue Cross Community Care Services was fined $66,000 for not reducing risks of serious injury.
  • The risk from hydronic heaters had been identified within the aged care industry, with advisories issued on the potential danger.
  • Blue Cross pleaded guilty to the charge, avoiding a higher fine and a conviction.
Have you or a loved one encountered safety issues in an aged care facility? How was it addressed? Share your insights and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Was the heater a safety issue? I'm wondering how the man's feet were actually against the heater for so long. If he could walk, then how didn't he move his feet away unless he had dementia or something.

I would think the heater was safer on the wall than the floor.

I think the hospital also needed to take responsibility, if not more, for turning him away just because of covid. Sounds like he should have been admitted unless the age care place didn't manage his recovery enough.

I think there is so much more to this story . There are a lot of blanks

Last edited:
I had to look up what a hydronic heater was! A quick lookup states that such heaters run at a maximum of 60 deg C, hardly a temperature to cause severe burns on both of this man's feet.

It seems to me that the heater malfunctioned, resulting in a much higher temperature or the heater was incorrectly installed. The manufacturer's or installer's fault, not the aged care facility, in my view.

I had to look up what a hydronic heater was! A quick lookup states that such heaters run at a maximum of 60 deg C, hardly a temperature to cause severe burns on both of this man's feet.

It seems to me that the heater malfunctioned, resulting in a much higher temperature or the heater was incorrectly installed. The manufacturer's or installer's fault, not the aged care facility, in my view.
Maybe not. If he had age related issues and his feet were on it for some time it could burn. Obviously he was not supervised. That is the big issue.

I would wonder why they use these types of heaters. Cost me thinks. Reverse cycle aircon would be the most effective and much less dangerous. For the most part there is not sufficient supervision of people in aged care homes. They are just after the money for the most part. Hoping I never have to go into one

What I don't understand is, it says he went out of is room. He was mobile so why did he leave his feet long enough to be burnt. Having worked in aged care during Covid all our residents were confined to their rooms for infection control. Surely someone saw him sitting with his feet on the heater.
Are they the same heaters they had in schools.

I think it can Veggiepatch, water out of the hot water tap is 47 deg C and that can burn or cause severe pain. This unfortunate gentleman MAY have had diabetes therefore he MAY have had little to no feeling sensation in his feet and at a max of 60C he certainly would be burnt.

Was the heater a safety issue? I'm wondering how the man's feet were actually against the heater for so long. If he could walk, then how didn't he move his feet away unless he had dementia or something.

I would think the heater was safer on the wall than the floor.

I think the hospital also needed to take responsibility, if not more, for turning him away just because of covid. Sounds like he should have been admitted unless the age care place didn't manage his recovery enough.

I think there is so much more to this story . There are a lot of blanks
It says it was on the wall, these heaters are similar to boiler heating using hot water circulating through a panel, I think there's a lot more to this than what's in the article.

Reactions: chinkapook
Sorry for the guy, but he must have had other issues for this to happen from this type of heater, known to be one of the safest heating methods, similar to the heating used all over in the UK and USA homes.

Hot water radiators we used to sit on them as kids (in school) this blokes health issues caused the problem exuberated by the lack of supervision at the facility. Incidentally reverse cycle air con heating does bugger all in keeping feet warm.. er just saying.

Why was the heater on the wall?
Why did the Accreditation monitors not pick up this safety issue?
June

Surely instinct would have made the gentleman take his feet off of the heater…I mean if something is too hot, then reflex would make you move from the heat….. I think maybe his feet just didn’t feel the heat for some reason….he got out of his room but it doesn’t say if he walked or used a wheelchair, he may have had some paralysis even….in any case he should have been supervised fairly regularly for his age I think ….

The Doctor who attends and visits the aged care facility should have insisted that the gentleman be admitted. The hospitals have isolation areas and test new patients continuously. Te gentleman possibly had a high temperature, also possibly a cough