Aged care reforms face further delays due to 'surprise' provisions

Aged care in Australia has been at a crossroads, as sweeping reforms on the horizon promise to reshape the way senior Australians receive care.

However, due to recent developments, the path to change is fraught with unexpected hurdles.

The much-anticipated aged care reforms, which could see some seniors paying more for their care, have been delayed due to 'surprise' provisions that caught many off guard.

The reforms, which should introduce a means-tested, user-pays model for non-medical services in nursing homes and in-home care, have been put on hold once again.

Shadow Treasurer Angus Taylor emphasised the importance of due diligence, given the significant impact these changes will have on senior Australians and their families.

'We only received a 500-page Bill from the government a week ago. I think it's fair and reasonable for us to work through the legislation, given how much is at stake here,' Mr Taylor said.

compressed-seniors (2).jpeg
Many Aussie seniors rely on the upcoming aged care reforms not just for themselves, but for their families as well. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

'There are very, very sensitive and important issues in the Bill. There are major new provisions that we were not expecting, so we'll work our way through those.'

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese called for swift action on these 'sensible reforms' and highlighted the need for confidence in the sector.

He also reassured the public that the changes would only affect new entrants into the system through a process called 'grandfathering'.

News of the delay met mixed reactions.

Despite the reassurance from the Albanese Government, the Greens accused the Labor government of succumbing to the Coalition's influence.

'They're so desperate to avoid Peter Dutton's attacks that they're letting him set the policy agenda,' Greens spokesperson for older people Penny Allman-Payne argued.

'From the census questions debacle to pulling the plug on promised religious discrimination reforms, and now keeping millions of older Australians waiting for a new Aged Care Act.'

According to statistics, Australians over the age of 85 could triple by 2050, placing immense pressure on the federal budget and the sustainability of aged care services.

The proposed reforms also included a controversial waiving of criminal penalties for operators found guilty of misconduct.

Despite the rush for implementation, Retirement Living Council (RLC) Executive Director Daniel Gannon argued that it's crucial to take the time planning these reforms for future-proofing.

'There is no point rushing towards a bad outcome. It's frankly too important to get this piece of legislation wrong,' Mr Gannon said.

Navigating the complexities of aged care could be daunting for seniors and their families.

The prospect of paying more for care is a sensitive issue, and the uncertainty surrounding these reforms could add to the anxiety many feel about the future.
Key Takeaways

• The highly-anticipated aged care reforms in Australia could face delays due to surprise provisions in the new legislation.
  • Shadow Treasurer Angus Taylor stated that they need more time to work through the 500-page Bill because of its content.
  • The proposed reforms included a means-tested, user-pays model for non-health related services in aged care.
  • The government encouraged quick action on these reforms, but several experts argued that major reforms need more time for future-proofing purposes.
What are your thoughts on the aged care reforms? Are you concerned about the potential cost increases or the delay in implementing these changes? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think the Opposition should go through the proposals with a fine tooth comb. Damm the Greens just wanting everything passed sight unseen. I don't like the sound of waiving criminal penalties for operators guilty of misconduct. That should be deleted for a start. I don't know how the changes will affect me as i try to put my name down for Aged Care residences. I feel it is quite a nightmare.

The New Age Care Act does not have any consequences for providers who do not follow the reccomendations (See Page 27) and it wipes out the entire purpose of having an Enduring Power of Attorney in one cross of the pen/computer, giving power to a Provider instead. This makes consumers worse off than they are now.There are other problems with the act including the online assessment form, but these are the main ones

Good idea to gift to your chosen beneficiaries prior to passing. Go out and spend your money, go
On holidays, and live like there is no tomorrow. The alternative is you will pay for everything whilst those that have enjoyed their money get free aged care, free health care and a pension

• Sad
Reactions: Dynamo and Scaveola
I think it is a disgrace for elderly people who have to wait for jnformation about a new aged care reform. Many are treated poorly already. Asset or means testing is not equitable among aged care residents/ pensioners.
To make changes that will effect pensioners and aged care in general is very unsettling for the residence.

• Sad
Good idea to gift to your chosen beneficiaries prior to passing. Go out and spend your money, go
On holidays, and live like there is no tomorrow. The alternative is you will pay for everything whilst those that have enjoyed their money get free aged care, free health care and a pension
I think you will find there are only so many (so called) free places in a facility. There is a fee for these rooms. If you don't have the money to pay up front you will go onto a waiting list for the free room.
Most places I worked over 36yrs had about 5 free rooms in a facility of 105 residents.

The problem is there are rules limiting how much you can gift and still receive age pension. Good idea to spend though. My mums house was sold when she went into a nursing home. That’s fair enough. She became eligible for a DVA gold card years after we had been campaigning for it as our dad was a nuclear veteran. By the time these people were recognised most of the servicemen had died she had no benefits from the gold card as we had already bought her walking aids wheelchair etc. the only things she did receive were two pairs of spectacles. We were very happy with the standard of care in the home but as others have pointed out if you have no assets you still get the same care. Mum had to pay a higher daily rate as she had a small veterans super pension.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Dynamo
by the time i receive my package i possibly will be pushing up the daisies. for those thinking they will collect early think again. i started in March and told today it could be march 2025 before i receive it. health issues mean nothing. my 1st assessment was early January but to them it will be March. Commlink are useless. I am just a tad pissed off to be really explicit.

• Sad
Our generation of baby boomers have worked hard for our families now we are treated as a liability for needing aged care. So unfair!!

I think you will find there are only so many (so called) free places in a facility. There is a fee for these rooms. If you don't have the money to pay up front you will go onto a waiting list for the free room.
Most places I worked over 36yrs had about 5 free rooms in a facility of 105 residents.
Totally agree, Working in Aged Care there is a waiting list the allocated rooms are not FREE. There is a charge for family members takes up all of the pension only for low income earners renters! Stay at home as long as you can, with you own belongings & memories. Of course some can't look after themselves. So they need to move to a facility

Totally agree, Working in Aged Care there is a waiting list the allocated rooms are not FREE. There is a charge for family members takes up all of the pension only for low income earners renters! Stay at home as long as you can, with you own belongings & memories. Of course some can't look after themselves. So they need to move to a facility
85% of the pension is paid by residents.

Reactions: Liz and Scaveola