Aged care funding shakeup: New proposal may compel older Aussies to tap into their supers

For decades, the term 'retirement' has always been linked with 'superannuation'. Superannuation funds, commonly known as 'super', have been a reliable source of financial support for older Australians during their golden years.

But now, a major change on the horizon could completely reshape the world of superannuation as we know it. This change has the potential to significantly alter how retirees use their savings, marking a monumental shift in the retirement landscape.

The aged care sector in Australia is facing a funding crisis, and the peak advocacy group for the sector, the Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA), has put forth some potential solutions.

They recently released an issues paper at a national summit, suggesting two main alternatives to address the funding shortfall.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.45.37 AM.png
Older Aussies could soon be forced to use their superannuation for aged care or pay an inheritance tax on their estate under a radical proposal put to the federal government. Credit: Shutterstock.

Firstly, they proposed that Australians could consider setting aside some of their superannuation savings to improve the standards in aged care. The superannuation system, with a value of $3.5 trillion, could play a part in addressing the funding gap.

By allocating a portion of people's superannuation funds specifically for aged care costs, there could be a way to bolster the funding available for this critical sector.

Secondly, the ACCPA discussed possibly implementing a new social insurance scheme or a Medicare-style levy. These alternatives could help bridge the financial gap and ensure adequate funding for aged care services.

These suggestions come in the wake of distressing revelations about the neglect of elderly Australians that came to light during the 2021 aged care royal commission.

The aged care sector's challenges are complex and multi-faceted, including insufficient funding and an aging population. The recent federal budget revealed that aged care costs for the coming financial year had increased significantly due to recommendations made by the royal commission.

Despite the increase in funding, the sector's allocation remains relatively low, with federal aged care funding accounting for only 1.2 per cent of the country's GDP, well below the OECD average of 2.5 per cent. However, there are plans to further increase funding for the sector, with projections indicating it will reach nearly $40 billion by the fiscal year 2026-27, including funds for a 15 per cent pay rise for aged care workers over the next four years.

While the federal government will continue to be the primary source of funding, the ACCPA's proposal to utilise a portion of superannuation savings could be one way to address the ongoing funding crisis and improve the quality of care for elderly Australians.

According to ACCPA's CEO Tom Symondson, the superannuation system aims to ensure financial independence for people during retirement by providing a source of income.

However, the system faces an issue where superannuation savings are sometimes passed on as inheritance instead of being used for aged care services, contrary to its intended purpose.

'We want to see a system that encourages the use of superannuation as it was intended,' he explained.

In 2021, the Productivity Commission released a research paper predicting that approximately $3.5 trillion in assets would change hands in Australia by the middle of the century, with the superannuation system playing a crucial role in this wealth transfer.

1691127902196.png

The issues paper proposes the implementation of an inheritance tax on a deceased estate if the funds from 'superannuation' are not used as intended for retirement—even though Australia abolished inheritance taxes in July 1979, following Queensland's National Party premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen's efforts to eliminate death duties.

Under this proposal, wealthier retirees may also be required to contribute additional funds to their superannuation to cover their aged care expenses, despite the recent increase in compulsory employer contributions to 11 per cent on July 1.

Key Takeaways

• The Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA) has proposed that some of Australians' superannuation savings should be set aside to help improve standards in aged care and address the sector's funding shortages.
  • The ACCPA has revealed harrowing details of neglect towards elderly Australians in the 2021 Aged Care Royal Commission and claims the funding problems will be further exacerbated as Australia's population ages.
  • ACCPA CEO Tom Symondson noted that superannuation savings are frequently passed on as inheritance rather than paying for aged care services. The executive called for a system where superannuation is used as it was intended.

Members, what are your thoughts on these proposals? Share your opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
As [B]kevinwoodtufftyke5[/B]2 pointed out, retirement homes are run by private for profit organisations, rather than by government bodies like public hospitals.

Just as I would object to be taxed to fund private hospital, I object to fund private retirement homes regardless of whether this is through a levy or a deduction from my super funds!

I have had to work for the money in my super fund, so it is MY money to use as I choose!

"The issues paper proposes the implementation of an inheritance tax on a deceased estate if the funds from 'superannuation' are not used as intended for retirement"

There is already an "inheritance tax" on inheritances from any superannuation where this money goes to non-dependent heirs, such as adult children of the deceased! Are they suggesting to subject surplus super funds to double taxation? And what happens if the money goes to a surviving spouse? Will they be hit with an inheritance tax?
I got inheritance from my mother when she died. Please explain how inheritance is taxed now!

Superannuation is self-funded retirement savings - intended to reduce the draw on aged pension. So it should as always be user pays - If I have superannuation assets and require care then it should be pay as you go somewhat similar to the pension component directed to aged care. Any direction of my funds to aged care in the event I don't use it is theft in my book....

Sadly, people no longer look after their elderly family Members, expecting the government to pay. Just not sure where people think the govt. money comes from in the first place. I have always said to my parents, spend your money, we don’t need it & you worked hard for what you have. I do think it will be harder my my children, but I they already say the same to me.
My wife and I looked after my mother (had to pay $30k p/a) for her to stay in a care facility after she had a stroke. Luckily her pension and me renting her house out whilst she was there paid for that else, I would have been in hardship. We also looked after her mother who lived with us until she had a terrible fall and me being frail did not have the strength to help her up. She is now in a Nursing home where they take 85% of her pension as well as government subsidies. So some children do look after their parents until we are no longer able because of our age.

• Love
Reactions: Abby2
Cut the politicians wages and ALSO the "forever" money and allowances Prime Ministers and others in a similar position get when they are defeated or retire. Why do they still get an allowance after they retire? Where is that money coming from - - OUR POCKETS from taxes paid in the past. No one gives us the same perks - we have to use what we saved during our working lives and also what is left in our superannuation to live on for the rest of our lives.
Once a politician is no longer in office there should be no more taxpayers handouts. They were SACKED . If my boss sacked me and didn’t pay me for the rest of my life, could I take him to court for discrimination? After all the pollies get it.

What a lot of wingers. Your super is there to support yourself in retirement, ok if you need care it’s there to use for that. Last year my husband was seriously I’ll, on life support, it was said he might have to live his life out in a nursing home. I spoke to our financial advisor who said “No nursing home, bring him home and use your super to look after him”. Good advice that’s what it’s there for. So stop whinging it to use for yourselves.

So let me understand , those who worked all their lives need to fund age care but those who haven't worked do not .
Not sure this is fair 🤔

Maybe they should add a small tax for workers that goes towards age care funding eg $5 a week
I'm not saying for your own but as a general age care fund .

Everyone will get old one day.
Really? you must be sooo young. That's what we were doing many years ago paying taxes toward aged care/ retirement until a Labor Government decided to grab the money for other purposes, so they invented super to take it's place.... Labor in again and want to now steal that money! So typical and the people who earn and save for their retirement are paying for those who don't!

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
For decades, the term 'retirement' has always been linked with 'superannuation'. Superannuation funds, commonly known as 'super', have been a reliable source of financial support for older Australians during their golden years.

But now, a major change on the horizon could completely reshape the world of superannuation as we know it. This change has the potential to significantly alter how retirees use their savings, marking a monumental shift in the retirement landscape.

The aged care sector in Australia is facing a funding crisis, and the peak advocacy group for the sector, the Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA), has put forth some potential solutions.

They recently released an issues paper at a national summit, suggesting two main alternatives to address the funding shortfall.

View attachment 26673
Older Aussies could soon be forced to use their superannuation for aged care or pay an inheritance tax on their estate under a radical proposal put to the federal government. Credit: Shutterstock.

Firstly, they proposed that Australians could consider setting aside some of their superannuation savings to improve the standards in aged care. The superannuation system, with a value of $3.5 trillion, could play a part in addressing the funding gap.

By allocating a portion of people's superannuation funds specifically for aged care costs, there could be a way to bolster the funding available for this critical sector.

Secondly, the ACCPA discussed possibly implementing a new social insurance scheme or a Medicare-style levy. These alternatives could help bridge the financial gap and ensure adequate funding for aged care services.

These suggestions come in the wake of distressing revelations about the neglect of elderly Australians that came to light during the 2021 aged care royal commission.

The aged care sector's challenges are complex and multi-faceted, including insufficient funding and an aging population. The recent federal budget revealed that aged care costs for the coming financial year had increased significantly due to recommendations made by the royal commission.

Despite the increase in funding, the sector's allocation remains relatively low, with federal aged care funding accounting for only 1.2 per cent of the country's GDP, well below the OECD average of 2.5 per cent. However, there are plans to further increase funding for the sector, with projections indicating it will reach nearly $40 billion by the fiscal year 2026-27, including funds for a 15 per cent pay rise for aged care workers over the next four years.

While the federal government will continue to be the primary source of funding, the ACCPA's proposal to utilise a portion of superannuation savings could be one way to address the ongoing funding crisis and improve the quality of care for elderly Australians.

According to ACCPA's CEO Tom Symondson, the superannuation system aims to ensure financial independence for people during retirement by providing a source of income.

However, the system faces an issue where superannuation savings are sometimes passed on as inheritance instead of being used for aged care services, contrary to its intended purpose.

'We want to see a system that encourages the use of superannuation as it was intended,' he explained.

In 2021, the Productivity Commission released a research paper predicting that approximately $3.5 trillion in assets would change hands in Australia by the middle of the century, with the superannuation system playing a crucial role in this wealth transfer.

The issues paper proposes the implementation of an inheritance tax on a deceased estate if the funds from 'superannuation' are not used as intended for retirement—even though Australia abolished inheritance taxes in July 1979, following Queensland's National Party premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen's efforts to eliminate death duties.

Under this proposal, wealthier retirees may also be required to contribute additional funds to their superannuation to cover their aged care expenses, despite the recent increase in compulsory employer contributions to 11 per cent on July 1.

Key Takeaways

• The Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA) has proposed that some of Australians' superannuation savings should be set aside to help improve standards in aged care and address the sector's funding shortages.
  • The ACCPA has revealed harrowing details of neglect towards elderly Australians in the 2021 Aged Care Royal Commission and claims the funding problems will be further exacerbated as Australia's population ages.
  • ACCPA CEO Tom Symondson noted that superannuation savings are frequently passed on as inheritance rather than paying for aged care services. The executive called for a system where superannuation is used as it was intended.

Members, what are your thoughts on these proposals? Share your opinions with us in the comments below.
No I want my superannuation when I retire. None of it to be set aside thank you very much!

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

I may be wrong, but way back when Superannuation was introduced, I understood that this was largely to fund your own retirement so that you did not have to rely on the Govt. Pension, recognising that with an increasing aging and longer living population the government would not be able to fully cover these costs.

NO ONE WILL EVER VOTE FOR LABOR IF YOU F--K OUR SUPER UP. DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY, STOP GIVING MONEY AWAY (FOREIGN AID, SELLING OUR LAND TO FOREIGNERS) AND TO LAZY PEOPLE WHO WON'T DO MENIAL JOBS. NOT EVERYONE CAN HAVE THE PERFECT JOB OR THE BIGGEST AND BEST HOUSE, CAR OR APPLIANCE. PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN THEIR MEANS AND NOT WANT EVERYTHING INSTANTLY. WE LIVE IN THE BEST COUNTRY ON EARTH BUT GREED IS STUFFING IT UP.
So perfectly said! 👍

Cut the politicians wages and ALSO the "forever" money and allowances Prime Ministers and others in a similar position get when they are defeated or retire. Why do they still get an allowance after they retire? Where is that money coming from - - OUR POCKETS from taxes paid in the past. No one gives us the same perks - we have to use what we saved during our working lives and also what is left in our superannuation to live on for the rest of our lives.
Absolutely 💯👍

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

So looks like the government themselves will be discouraging people from saving for their superannuation.

We salary sacrifice, so we have enough in super to retire comfortably, not extravagantly,
super is part of a persons salary..it’s our money, to use as we see fit.
many a retiree don’t receive a pension, they live and rely on their super payments,
now the government want to take a part of our nest egg.
they have been trying for years to get a hold of monies in super, with little success, now they are coming up with other ways to take our hard earned money.

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

• The Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA) has proposed that
  • some of Australians' superannuation savings should be set aside to help improve standards in aged care and address the sector's funding shortages.

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

I know what happens when governments start dipping their snouts into superannuation. How about stop wasting our taxes and start investing into aged care as they should have been all along. My superannuation belongs to me to do with what I choose. A small levy on wages to go to aged care AND NOWHERE ELSE now would be a good start. Should there be anything left after I am gone, it is my decision where it ends up, not a convenient death tax

What a lot of whinging, narrow minded, miss informed people. If you have a roof over your head, have enough to eat and have a Medicare card, you are amongst the few very lucky people in the world.

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

Our SMSF is OUR MONEY that we have already paid tax on! We would not be eligible for givt assistance if and when we need aged care so how our money is used is our business. If any super money is left it is also our wish that our children inherrit it fully.
OUR MONEY, OUR XHOICE!

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

Once again, we were repeatedly warned before the election that this would happen. It is incredible that so many of the warnings the LNP issued about this current mob of turkeys that lied their way into office have proven to be true. The Hon PM Scott Morrison told Australia numerous times that alboliar "will come after your Super." Any proposal, regardless of its source that even remotely suggests dipping into people's Super, is guaranteed to have liebour involved. With only 32% of the vote these clowns are behaving like they won with a landslide. The events of 11 Nov 1975 need to be repeated ASAP.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
This is insane , taken our hard earned Super , I have put in voluntarily the lot of extra so I could have a comfortable retirement and now Labour wants to take that away . NO WAY!. Albanese stop spending our tax money , you don’t need to fly all over the world and trying to make friends with countries you’re not getting anything out of.
I spend my money wisely , wake up , so should you . Do you really care about the average Aussie person?
I can only advise to most of us : DO NOT VOTE LABOUR !(n):confused::confused::confused:

Didn’t have super until 1991. Raised three kids who now have excellent jobs after we supported them through university and further studies. We’re lucky to have a small amount in superannuation. Worked till retirement and paid taxes all our lives. Now they want to take our super to support our retirement. What next?

View attachment 26673

Key Takeaways

Most peopke will never accumulate enough to pay for aged care. However, the aged care sector will seize this opportunity to ramp up theirventry and exit fees and hike the monthly admin/service fees.

Nobody will end up being any better off