After 70 years, a woman's dream of revisiting her childhood home came true

An emotional letter sent by a woman who left Australia more than 70 years ago has resulted in a touching meeting with the current residents of her childhood home in Sydney.

In the letter, Meg asked if it would be possible to rewind time and visit the home, which she once lived in as a young girl, to relive memories that she cherished until now.

'I used to live in your flat 70 years ago before I came to England with my parents. My husband and I are coming to Sydney, and I am wondering if you are free and whether it would be possible to have a quick look around the flat,' she wrote.

'I have some memories of the place, mainly looking out the window of what my mother called the sun room to the harbour and the small pier next door.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 2.40.18 PM.png
Meg had fond memories of her childhood home and asked the couple politely if she could visit. Credit: Reddit.

Her letter was received by Benjamin Richards, the current owner, who has lived in the apartment with his wife, Pamela, for the past 17 years. The incredible story of her visit has since been shared on the social media platform Reddit, where it garnered a lot of attention.

In an update post, Richards expressed his gratitude for the heart-warming gathering and the opportunity to provide Meg with a trip down memory lane.

It was a deeply moving experience for Meg, who was overwhelmed with gratitude for the chance to revisit the home of her childhood. Richards and his wife were delighted to have facilitated such a meaningful reunion.

Meg's story dates back to the 1940s when she lived with her parents in one of the 12 apartments in the newly built Double Bay complex. Her family moved to the UK in 1951, but her memories of the apartment and its surroundings remained vivid.

The exploration of the building commenced at the end of a walkway, where the Richards met Meg and her husband, Jed. Meg fondly remembered walking down this path as a child, although she noted that everything seemed more open back then.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 2.40.12 PM.png
Meg recalled the days spent admiring the harbour from the 'sunroom' window, and the small pier next to the house. Credit: Reddit.

As they entered the 'huge' apartment building, Meg recounted a funny anecdote about her father tripping on his 'turn-ups' and falling down the stairs leading up to the apartment. Richards was momentarily confused until he realised she meant the cuffs of his pants, not vegetables.

In a light-hearted moment, Richards delivered a joke he had been working on all week. He turned to Meg and quipped, 'I forgot my keys, do you have yours?'

As soon as Meg set foot in the apartment, it was clear that she had a deep connection to the space. She immediately recognised the curved wall of a cupboard located just inside the entrance, although she noted that it seemed much smaller than she remembered.

As she turned into the kitchen, she pointed out that there used to be a curtain dividing the room in two. The kitchen itself was a long, narrow space with a large window at the end and a peninsula feature made up of two small walls. Meg recalled that the curtain created a small dining area within the kitchen.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 2.40.06 PM.png
The couple walked Meg through the entire flat, including her old bedroom, which was now the Richards' spare room. Credit: Reddit.

In the bathroom, Meg noticed a significant change: the toilet had been moved from its original position in front of the door and replaced with the hand basin, which used to be hidden behind the door.

In the spare room, which used to be Meg's own bedroom, she showed the Richards where her bed was located, and reminisced about looking out the window at the boats stored nearby.

The lounge room also held special memories, with Meg recalling a gas fireplace against the outside wall and the archways leading to the sunroom. Looking out the window, she still saw the same beautiful view of the water, with the wharf, rocks, and small beach still in place.

Even the master bedroom, where her parents once slept, felt the same, with the Richards' bed and wardrobe now occupying the space.

Meg's visit was a testament to the timeless quality of cherished memories, as she found comfort in the familiar view outside the window and the unchanged layout of the home she once knew.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 2.40.00 PM.png
Benjamin Richards and his wife Pamela welcomed Meg and her husband Jed to their home in Double Bay. Credit: Reddit.

As Meg walked through the familiar halls and rooms, memories came flooding back to her. From the curve wall of the cupboard to the archway leading to the sunroom, Meg remembered it all.

The changes in the apartment were evident, but the memories were still alive and well. And as she sat outside with the Richards, enjoying the beautiful view and sipping tea, she shared stories from her childhood in the 1950s, a time when life was simpler, and the neighbourhood was less developed.

'She's talked about the kids she grew up with next door, where she played, catching the tram, going to the picture theatre,' said Richards. 'We're quite happy to have her and her husband come and visit.'

The Richards were honoured to have hosted Meg and her husband, and grateful that they could make her wish come true. Needless to say, the experience was an emotional one for everyone involved.

Looking back on Australia in the 1950s.jpg

We at the SDC are incredibly moved and uplifted by this heartwarming story. It's a wonderful reminder that even the smallest efforts can go a long way in reconnecting with the people and places that hold a special place in our hearts.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this story, members! Do you still have a special place in your heart for your childhood home? What other things from the 1950s bring back happy memories for you? We’re especially interested in hearing whether you would let someone into your home if you received this letter? Don't hesitate to share with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
An emotional letter sent by a woman who left Australia more than 70 years ago has resulted in a touching meeting with the current residents of her childhood home in Sydney.

In the letter, Meg asked if it would be possible to rewind time and visit the home, which she once lived in as a young girl, to relive memories that she cherished until now.

'I used to live in your flat 70 years ago before I came to England with my parents. My husband and I are coming to Sydney, and I am wondering if you are free and whether it would be possible to have a quick look around the flat,' she wrote.

'I have some memories of the place, mainly looking out the window of what my mother called the sun room to the harbour and the small pier next door.'

View attachment 16095
Meg had fond memories of her childhood home and asked the couple politely if she could visit. Credit: Reddit.

Her letter was received by Benjamin Richards, the current owner, who has lived in the apartment with his wife, Pamela, for the past 17 years. The incredible story of her visit has since been shared on the social media platform Reddit, where it garnered a lot of attention.

In an update post, Richards expressed his gratitude for the heart-warming gathering and the opportunity to provide Meg with a trip down memory lane.

It was a deeply moving experience for Meg, who was overwhelmed with gratitude for the chance to revisit the home of her childhood. Richards and his wife were delighted to have facilitated such a meaningful reunion.

Meg's story dates back to the 1940s when she lived with her parents in one of the 12 apartments in the newly built Double Bay complex. Her family moved to the UK in 1951, but her memories of the apartment and its surroundings remained vivid.

The exploration of the building commenced at the end of a walkway, where the Richards met Meg and her husband, Jed. Meg fondly remembered walking down this path as a child, although she noted that everything seemed more open back then.

View attachment 16094
Meg recalled the days spent admiring the harbour from the 'sunroom' window, and the small pier next to the house. Credit: Reddit.

As they entered the 'huge' apartment building, Meg recounted a funny anecdote about her father tripping on his 'turn-ups' and falling down the stairs leading up to the apartment. Richards was momentarily confused until he realised she meant the cuffs of his pants, not vegetables.

In a light-hearted moment, Richards delivered a joke he had been working on all week. He turned to Meg and quipped, 'I forgot my keys, do you have yours?'

As soon as Meg set foot in the apartment, it was clear that she had a deep connection to the space. She immediately recognised the curved wall of a cupboard located just inside the entrance, although she noted that it seemed much smaller than she remembered.

As she turned into the kitchen, she pointed out that there used to be a curtain dividing the room in two. The kitchen itself was a long, narrow space with a large window at the end and a peninsula feature made up of two small walls. Meg recalled that the curtain created a small dining area within the kitchen.

View attachment 16096
The couple walked Meg through the entire flat, including her old bedroom, which was now the Richards' spare room. Credit: Reddit.

In the bathroom, Meg noticed a significant change: the toilet had been moved from its original position in front of the door and replaced with the hand basin, which used to be hidden behind the door.

In the spare room, which used to be Meg's own bedroom, she showed the Richards where her bed was located, and reminisced about looking out the window at the boats stored nearby.

The lounge room also held special memories, with Meg recalling a gas fireplace against the outside wall and the archways leading to the sunroom. Looking out the window, she still saw the same beautiful view of the water, with the wharf, rocks, and small beach still in place.

Even the master bedroom, where her parents once slept, felt the same, with the Richards' bed and wardrobe now occupying the space.

Meg's visit was a testament to the timeless quality of cherished memories, as she found comfort in the familiar view outside the window and the unchanged layout of the home she once knew.

View attachment 16097
Benjamin Richards and his wife Pamela welcomed Meg and her husband Jed to their home in Double Bay. Credit: Reddit.

As Meg walked through the familiar halls and rooms, memories came flooding back to her. From the curve wall of the cupboard to the archway leading to the sunroom, Meg remembered it all.

The changes in the apartment were evident, but the memories were still alive and well. And as she sat outside with the Richards, enjoying the beautiful view and sipping tea, she shared stories from her childhood in the 1950s, a time when life was simpler, and the neighbourhood was less developed.

'She's talked about the kids she grew up with next door, where she played, catching the tram, going to the picture theatre,' said Richards. 'We're quite happy to have her and her husband come and visit.'

The Richards were honoured to have hosted Meg and her husband, and grateful that they could make her wish come true. Needless to say, the experience was an emotional one for everyone involved.

We at the SDC are incredibly moved and uplifted by this heartwarming story. It's a wonderful reminder that even the smallest efforts can go a long way in reconnecting with the people and places that hold a special place in our hearts.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this story, members! Do you still have a special place in your heart for your childhood home? What other things from the 1950s bring back happy memories for you? We’re especially interested in hearing whether you would let someone into your home if you received this letter? Don't hesitate to share with us in the comments below!
A beautiful story! And yes I probably would let the previous owners of our home through just to let them see the changes we’ve made to our home 😀

View attachment 16095

View attachment 16094

View attachment 16096

View attachment 16097

I’ve lived in Australia for forty three years I’ve been back to my home town in the UK many times and even walked past the house my father rebuilt after having the old one demolished he was a builder and rebuilt the home for my mum who was in a wheelchair to make life easier for her to get around this was in the sixties
I would sooooooooo love to visit that home and walk inside it now I’m 73 years old now but I’m fit and healthy so perfectly able to still do the long haul trip
there would be so many wonderful memories in that house I would love to see it again
this has inspired me to do what this lady did I will write to my old address that way whoever lives there now can think it over brilliant I’m gonna do it

My husband lived for a number of years in a gatehouse in the grounds of a castle in Scotland. His father worked on the estate and the house came with the job. Many years later, on a visit to the area with his parents, we were standing outside looking at the house, when a woman came out. We explained why we were interested and she invited us inside to look around. My parents-in-law in particular were delighted to have a private tour of what used to be their old home. On another trip my brother and I were doing the same thing outside his old home in the Scottish highlands and again we we’re invited in to look at the changes the new owners had made.

In 2002 after my father passed away I took my daughter to England to my grandmothers 90th birthday. While there my dads brother took us to many houses of importance to my dad. He knocked on doors and asked if we could look around. Every time, we were welcomed into the houses. We went to my grandmothers farmhouse which really brought back memories. The house I really wanted to go into was the one I lived in before we emigrated to Australia, I was only 4, but they were not home. Maybe next time I go back I could write to them first.

Never do I want to go back to where I lived in England as the area I had lived in had been rebuilt as expensive housing for the wealthy who wished for a country outlook within an easy train ride of London where they made their money to enable their lifestyle, instead of the original working-class 2-story flats where 40 families had lived.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
My Dad grew up in Thurles, County Tipperary and when my daughter and I travelled through Ireland 8 years ago, we visited his nieces and they both said that my Dad's house still exists.
We were driving along the road and passed this house on a bend and I said to my daughter that I felt that was the house.
So we parked opposite, it was definitely the house in the photo, thatched roof and all.

The owner was outside playing with his dogs and he saw us looking at the house, leaned over the fence and asked us why we were looking at it. I explained to him that my Dad grew up in this house with his Mum and 4 brothers and he invited us in.

He said the only things that have changed was the 'muck' floor in the sitting room and the kitchen but apart from that, nothing else. The small narrow staircase leading up to 3 bedrooms and sitting room with fire place, small kitchen

My Dad had passed away by then but I felt his presence in the house at the time.

Delightful. Always a lovely idea to let the people into your home that use to live there. Their footprints are forever in that home and the back and front yard. The footpath into that home. They use to turn the key as well to get back inside. Open the windows. Sleep and eat in there.

When I was in the UK last year we met up with a couple of my cousins and we had a nostalgic weekend. We drove round the places we used to live (didn't go in any) even went and stood outside our Grandma's house, it had so many special memories for us all growing up. Then we went to the park, it's a very big park and we all spent many hours playing there as kids. It was a wonderful few days, it's amazing how much you remember when you all put your memories together and then remember even more things you thought you'd forgotten. Happy Days.