Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
African Lion Safari

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 3.24.20 PM.jpg
Credits: Australia Remember When FB page
Who remembers the African Lion Safari? This incredible drive-through safari in Warragamba, NSW, was opened by an Australian circus proprietor, Stafford Bullen, in 1968 and was a popular attraction for many years. It allowed visitors to experience wild African animals roaming free, with lions jumping up on passing cars. Sadly, it was closed in 1991, but it will always be remembered as a unique and thrilling experience. Have you ever been to the African Lion Safari?

Reactions: Tigerlily57
Lion park manager John Gilberton hung this now infamous sign on the front gates of the Bullens African Lion Safari. (Wanneroo WA approx 1977)

Attachments

• Lion Park.jpg
    Lion Park.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 0
My uncle who recently passed took me and my grandmother a few times.

I remember the lions coming very close to the car and one time a lioness jumped up at the side off the car. After my uncle found huge scratches on his car and I'm thinking that was our last time going there

We had one in Brisbane around the same time ,it too has gone. It was definitely an experience.

We went to the one at Yatala on the way to the Gold Coast QLD. At the time our daughter was abt 3. Her dad drove us in his work car, a Monaro. Imagine his panic when she wound down the window and called out “here Kitty” to a lion. My husband nearly turned himself inside out trying to get to the back window back up. Sadly my husband has passed but my daughter often have a laugh about that day and yes she has 2 cats.

African Lion Safari

View attachment 13559
Who remembers the African Lion Safari? This incredible drive-through safari in Warragamba, NSW, was opened by an Australian circus proprietor, Stafford Bullen, in 1968 and was a popular attraction for many years. It allowed visitors to experience wild African animals roaming free, with lions jumping up on passing cars. Sadly, it was closed in 1991, but it will always be remembered as a unique and thrilling experience. Have you ever been to the African Lion Safari?

Went there many times as I lived near Liverpool which wasn't too far away. Bullens also had another family fun park in Wallacia. That has gone as well. Remnants of the African Lion Park are still in Warragamba today. The story goes that although the Park had closed lions were still roaming there and neighbours near the park could hear them roaring at night. Sad that Sydney no longer has such fun places like that for families.

African Lion Safari

View attachment 13559

Yes, when my brothers and I were very young. One of my brothers started growling which really scared my mother.

African Lion Safari

View attachment 13559

Yes. I grew up in Sydney and can recall going many times with my family as a young girl. I remember one incident when going through the lion park in the family car which was Dad's FJ Holden his pride and joy when one of the hubcaps came off. I stared in horror as Dad got out of the car to retrieve it. I thought he was going to be dinner for one of the lions! Luckily they must have been well fed as they didn't go for him but one of the park staff saw what happened and boy did he get told off!