Advantages of Online Grocery Shopping and Why You Should Consider It

Over the past few years, shopping for groceries online has gained a lot of popularity among Australians.

Especially for seniors, who are at a higher risk of contracting the virus. The convenience of having your groceries delivered right at your front door is the safer option, and all of it can be done at the tip of your fingertips! What’s not to love?

Here, we’re sharing with you a few more benefits of online grocery shopping, and why you should consider it for your next grocery shop.

V9D05g8vllpIBhYZSORbrO02sXpc91Y8DHGP70kk3WHox3QlFzCxhjWwRrQhVPs3CnXilGL3re4C7Z25yT0tRXrRZxVxq9IYsigsOolORawfrKIvbnkZ11IOZhArQBjd7drQgxVv

Australians who buy their groceries online on average save more than $1300 a year. Credit: AAP.

Online grocery shopping can save you a lot of time.

Time is one of the most valuable things we have so we must not waste it.

According to statistical data, the average customer goes to the grocery store 1.6 times a week and spends around 43 minutes shopping at the store. Not to mention, there is also the additional time it takes to drive to the store and back.

Shopping for your groceries online allows you the pleasure and convenience of doing it from just about anywhere at any given time! Whether you’re in the kitchen preparing for lunch, at the office, or simply lounging on the couch, you can get your groceries without the hassle of crowded aisles and lengthy cashier lines.

You can also choose a delivery time frame that is most convenient for you.

Online grocery shopping can save you a lot of money.

Aside from our time, a lot of our money goes to grocery shopping as well.

Did you know that by opting to have your groceries delivered at home, you can save an average of $1369 a year? According to new research by ING Australia, the average Aussie could save about $26 per week by simply shopping for their groceries online instead of going in-store. It’s believed much of the saving comes from avoiding ‘impulse purchases’, which we’re much less vulnerable to when shopping online.

Among the thousand shoppers who were surveyed, it was also found out that one in five people were signed up to a meal kit subscription service – a service that delivers ready-made or pre-prepared ingredients, which saves a further average of $1503 yearly, probably due to a reduction in eating out and takeaways.

And aside from in-store savings, choosing to shop your groceries online can also mean lesser expenses on petrol and parking fees.

gzm7kvEXhAR8aTIW5ydmvTeBuW_H_P5WK6mHzcCF1HwDC2mEI0-mxZgVsYiclFCYkSDjgDZ4_0USKrIGSgOVrahFMbxv3LI_nXzeWa0oNe5Rxeh5GcKXgeiBTUs7RczWQRjYhpwb

More and more grocery stores have started offering home delivery or curbside pickup. Credit: AAP.
A warning though: while online grocery shopping offers a lot of conveniences, it also comes with additional costs, such as delivery fees and service fees. In our experience, we’ve also found that not all products available in-store are listed for purchase online, and occasionally, items can be substituted if they’re sold out - though it's usually for an item of equal or greater value.

Some grocery delivery services also have higher costs than others, so you may want to shop around (pardon the pun) to find the cheapest option for you.

Do you shop for your groceries online too, or do you prefer personally going to the supermarkets? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have been doing my grocery shopping online since the pandemic hit, I agree I am saving money because I am only buying what I need. Yes there are delivery charges and substituions, which I haven't had a problem with, and I can see all the ingredients in products online and that saves time in the supermarket.

I too do all my shopping online and I can't see me ever going back to in store shopping. I check out the specials when new catalogues come out then build my shopping cart over a few days as I think of things needed. I'm sure that over time I'm saving money, no impulse buying, no petrol outlay and no delivery fees so long as I spend more than $50 a time which is easy to do. :)

Um, I may be different, but i prefer to visit the store to do my shopping..

Yes, i check the catalogues on line, (usually after 5pm on a Monday night, when they are released for a "sneak peek"), write my shopping list, and know roughly the costs.

I use the store visit as a "social outing". To dress up and visit the shops makes me feel good.

Here, i'm able to select fresh fruit and veggies, well within its use by dates.
I may find some great markdowns, and add them to my trolley. (Stores markdown several times a day)
In the deli i can choose the deli cuts, and fish fillets to the amount I'd like!!

None of this can be done when shopping online!!

So far this year, I've saved over $450, shopping this way. (last year, i saved almost $2,200 this way)

I may even return home with some special impulse treats, too ;)

i shop on line cause it's easier for me cause i don't drive the only thing i get a shock with is the delivery fee 15.00 dollars from woolies and i love when the drivers bring my shopping in to my kitchen table and pop them on the table because i'm elderly and can't carry the groceries is a big help to me marg:)

Reactions: barbaranne and Liz
I save so much by shopping online, i am a sucker when doing my shopping in store, when i see different things. We pick up so no delivery fee, the shops are only a few mins away so not much is spent on fuel.... If i want and outing to check other shops out at our centre i take my Gopher over, as i cant walk very far..... also stops me from spending on things i probably dont really need...... :)

Reactions: barbaranne
I’ve done it both ways over the last two years, and much prefer to shop in store. I had so many problems with online shopping: sometimes no delivery windows when it suited me, up to $15 in delivery fees, substitutions, or worse - no availability, poor quality fresh meat, fruit and vegetables. In-store I can choose my own produce, decide on my own substitutions if necessary, take advantage of management or other specials, easily compare unit prices, and remember items I might have forgotten to put on the list. I don’t say I would never use online shopping again in the future but it’s definitely not my preferred option.

i shop on line cause it's easier for me cause i don't drive the only thing i get a shock with is the delivery fee 15.00 dollars from woolies and i love when the drivers bring my shopping in to my kitchen table and pop them on the table because i'm elderly and can't carry the groceries is a big help to me marg:)
Have you thought of getting a delivery saver with Woolies, it saves a bit of money on delivery. Just a thought, that is what I do.

Reactions: barbaranne