wikgil

Feb 7, 2023
Activities in my Area

Good morning

I live in Bundaberg Qld. I am 70 and fairly fit. Have recently drastically reduced my work hours and am at a bit of a loss on how to fill my days. Can only do so much house cleaning.

Finding it difficult to locate groups that might interest me. I am concerned of depression setting in if I am isolated for long periods of time.
I would like something to have a bit of a laugh and not just sit and eat all day.
Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae

Have you any people in your area that would appreciate a helping hand, or lonely people who would appreciate a visit and a cuppa, maybe a hand with their shopping. Do you knit or crochet, if not, maybe learn. Make beanies or toys for the kids in hospital or the homeless. Join a dance group and join other dancers, lots of singles go. I do rock n roll, Line dancing. There are new vogue and old time groups. Check your local council activities for seniors and see what other free activities they have. Join a walking group. There is so much to do, you can keep as busy as you like. Or have a lazy day if you don’t feel like doing much.

A church group is great too. I know The Church of Jesus a Christ of LatterDay Saints provide a lot of charitable help to Charitable Services like cooking meals for our local “Shining Stars” Charity, helping the needy. There are also many other church groups who do the same and need people to assist? ❤️

Your local council may also have information on what is happening in your area. In Brisbane the council puts out a regular newsletter and many activities are free or minimal cost. Also if you like children there are many ways to be involved. Some of our day care centres have a regular day when a volunteer reader can attend to share a book with the little ones. There are so many things out there - if you want to be involved it's just finding the right group or activity. Also a good way to meet new friends!

Have a look online at Meetup.com. It is NOT a dating site. This was created after NY plane attacks and many people were left alone. It is now worldwide. They have local groups for dining out, theatre, music, walking, etc. I currently belong to 11 groups in Brisbane mainly to do with music and dancing plus cruising.

Try diamond artActivities in my Area

Good morning

I live in Bundaberg Qld. I am 70 and fairly fit. Have recently drastically reduced my work hours and am at a bit of a loss on how to fill my days. Can only do so much house cleaning.

Finding it difficult to locate groups that might interest me. I am concerned of depression setting in if I am isolated for long periods of time.
I would like something to have a bit of a laugh and not just sit and eat all day.
Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
Try

Look in your area for different groups, there are plenty in all areas .

Go for daily walks

Look at different recipes to cook and even have a day to do weekly meal preparation.

Plan your week ahead , starting with daily walks.

Visit people

If you can volunteer your time , different ideas reading with kids in your local school they are always looking for volunteers.
Even hospitals have a program for volunteers to go in and visit people who have no relatives .

There is so much you can do if you are able to get out n about

Activities in my Area

Good morning

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
If you’re fit and enjoy walking, there’s bound to be a walking group in your area. Most local councils have a list of local organisations and you could find at least one to suit you.

Activities in my Area

Good morning

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
There is a group called Starts at 60 meet up that have lunch meet ups just type into fb and it should pop up. I've been going to lunch and coffee for about 4 years now and have met some amazing people. I even discovered a cousin I didn't know I had. We at Bunbury WA meet fortnightly with extra activities like going to the movies.
Good luck with your retirement
Dippy

Last edited:
Activities in my Area

Good morning

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
There is a group called Starts @ 60 that have lunch meet ups just type into fb and it should pop up. I've been going to lunch and coffee for about 4 years now and have met some amazing people. I even discovered a cousin I didn't know I had. We at bunbury WA meet fortnightly with extra activities like going to the movies.
Good luck with your retirement
Dippy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230509-075210_Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20230509-075210_Edge.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
Activities in my Area

Good morning

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
My cousin lives in Bundy and is retired. I'll ask her.

Activities in my Area

Good morning

Any ideas are welcome.
Cheers Rae
Same here - but I am in WA so too far away. It is much harder to meet and make friends when you are older. I left a lifetime of friends behind when I came to Australia 6 yrs ago. I love living here and don't regret my move here. But there is no getting over the isolation and loss of friends. I fill in my days with jigsaw puzzles!

Have a look online at Meetup.com. It is NOT a dating site. This was created after NY plane attacks and many people were left alone. It is now worldwide. They have local groups for dining out, theatre, music, walking, etc. I currently belong to 11 groups in Brisbane mainly to do with music and dancing plus cruising.
Agreed. I used to run one of these groups. They cover just about every interest imaginable.