ACMA alleges blunder over 9.5 million Optus data breach

The digital age has brought us countless conveniences, but with those conveniences come risks, as the recent Optus data breach painfully reminds us.

In a world where personal information is increasingly stored in the cloud, data security is paramount.

Unfortunately, for 9.5 million Australians, a simple coding error at one of the country's largest telecommunications companies, Optus, has led to a significant breach of privacy.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) shared details of the cyber attack that occurred in September 2022, which was not the result of an elaborate scheme by cybercriminals but rather a 'trial and error' attack that exploited a coding error left unaddressed for years.

This breach has exposed names, dates of birth, phone numbers, and email addresses, with the personal details of about 10,200 individuals subsequently surfacing on the dark web.

shutterstock_2357145677.jpg
ACMA alleged that the Optus breach in 2022 was due to a coding error. Credit: Shutterstock

The ACMA's investigation into the breach has revealed a troubling timeline. A dormant web API became vulnerable in June 2020 due to a coding error made in September 2018.

While Optus corrected a similar issue on its main website in August of the following year, it failed to recognise and address the same problem in a secondary system.

This oversight allowed the vulnerability to remain exposed, and the dormant domain was left susceptible to attack for two years without being decommissioned.

The ACMA's legal action against Optus, initiated in May this year, is not just a slap on the wrist.

‘The target domain was permitted to sit dormant and vulnerable to attack for two years and was not decommissioned despite the lack of any need for it,’ the filing read.

‘The cyber attack was not highly sophisticated or one that required advanced skills… it was carried out through a simple process of trial and error.’

The Authority is seeking penalties for what it alleges are breaches of the Telecommunications Act 1997, which could amount to a staggering theoretical maximum of $900 million, considering each breach carries a penalty of up to $250,000.

Optus has expressed its intent to defend the proceedings. Interim CEO Michael Venter has publicly stated that the company ‘deeply regrets the cyber attack occurred’.

‘Our customers expected their information would remain safe. We accept that this did not happen,’ he said.

‘This vulnerability was exploited by a motivated and determined criminal…The criminal did this by mimicking usual customer activity and rotating through tens of thousands of different IP addresses to evade detection.’

Venter also highlighted the company's ongoing investment in cyber defences to address the 'heightened global cyber risk environment' and its commitment to regaining customer trust.

‘Optus will continue to cooperate with the ACMA on this matter, although it intends to defend this action and, where necessary, correct the record,’ he said.

‘It will ultimately be a matter for the Federal Court to determine whether there has been any breach or the appropriateness of any sanctions against Optus.’

The case is set to return before Justice Jonathan Beach in September for a case management hearing.
Key Takeaways
  • A coding error is alleged to have been the cause of a massive data breach at Optus, exposing the personal details of 9.5 million Australians.
  • The Australian Telecommunications and Media Authority (ACMA) claimed the vulnerability was due to a coding error that Optus failed to detect or fix over a period of four years.
  • Personal details of customers were compromised and, in some cases, published on the dark web, prompting legal action by the ACMA seeking penalties for alleged breaches of the Telecommunications Act 1997.
  • Optus acknowledged the cyber attack, expressed regret, and stated its intention to defend the legal proceedings while continuing to invest in cyber defences. The outcome of the breach and any potential sanctions against Optus will be determined by the Federal Court.
Have you been affected by the Optus breach or a similar incident? How has it impacted your trust in digital services? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
And yet Government and banks along with the rest of big business are still pushing for a cashless digital society, the only time Government shows any concern about the people in the street is when they are in a election cycle, in which everything is promised on the proviso of reelection?
And they don't even keep those promises.

I have been affected by the Optus, Medibank private, my deal, and latitude breaches. Not sure how much of my data is out there, so far I haven’t had any demands for money or haven’t been made aware of any loans etc taken out using any of my details. Not sure how many of me are running about in the world if my ID was stolen. I did get an uptick in crap and scam emails after hitting my in box after these breach’s. I just deleted them.

I have been affected by the Optus, Medibank private, my deal, and latitude breaches. Not sure how much of my data is out there, so far I haven’t had any demands for money or haven’t been made aware of any loans etc taken out using any of my details. Not sure how many of me are running about in the world if my ID was stolen. I did get an uptick in crap and scam emails after hitting my in box after these breach’s. I just deleted them.
I have been affected. There are so many, Gsr, it takes criminals time to work through the list. It won't be long...

Yes I was impacted and had to change my license for a new one, we had to travel 45 minutes to do this then waited in line for nearl 3/4 of an hour before even speaking to anyone then come back home that was time out of my day that I cannot get back it was infuriating. I did believe my information was safe as this was supposed to be a safe place but to my dismay found out how wrong I was. I worry now all the time who can gety at my data, especially as they now want us to go cashless so more businesses have access to our information. If this can happen to a large company like Optus then what chance do we have.

While some of increased fraudulent activity attempted through my email account may be coincidental, it started several months after the OPTUS breach, which was very upsetting. I believe that I have finally blocked all access by fraudsters but will never forgive OPTUS for allowing this event to happen, especially when I was no longer a client. Like many others, I watch all digital dealings I undertake like a hawk.

Last edited:
This really makes you wonder how safe our personal information is within the corporate vaults of the digital world converted into the 1's and 0's of computer code. Corporations request our personal information and should be held accountable for any breach of our that information. We are bombarded by request form companies and government agencies to use these online sites to make payments, send information and change our personal details. Yet many of these same corporations and government bodies seem to just throw their arms up in the air when these digital systems are compromised. I find little comfort knowing my personal details are stored within the digital world, just waiting for some cybercriminal to gain access and steal those details, selling them to the highest bidder on the dark web.:mad:

While some of increased fraudulent activity attempted through my email account may be coincidental, it started several months after the OPTUS breach, which was very upsetting. I believe that I have finally blocked all access by fraudsters but will never forgive OPTUS for allowing this event to happen, especially when I was no longer a client. Like many others, I watch all digital dealings I undertake like a hawk.
The problem is that all of these corporations and government agencies all push people to use these online sites filling in digital forms full of our personal information.