ACCC slams Coles and Woolworths over misleading prices and discount schemes

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, we trust that the prices displayed should be competitive and honest.

However, recent developments have cast a shadow over trust towards retail giants Woolworths and Coles.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) took a bold step by initiating legal action against these household names, accusing them of misleading consumers.

The ACCC's allegations claimed that Woolworths and Coles used practices that duped shoppers into believing they were getting better deals.

According to the watchdog, hundreds of products in these supermarkets' discount promotions did not reflect a genuine price drop.

These products were mostly food and pantry staples found in many homes.

compressed-supermarkets (1).jpeg
Coles and Woolworths have been selling products with misleading discount tags confusing shoppers. Image Credits: Shutterstock/Daria Nipot, Haireena

Supermarket items were allegedly sold at regular prices for up to six months, then artificially inflated prices by at least 15 per cent.

After the artificial inflation, the prices are then advertised as 'Prices Dropped' at Woolworths or 'Down Down' at Coles.

This practice, if proven true, could have misled countless Australian consumers amid the cost-of-living crisis.

'Following many years of marketing campaigns by Woolworths and Coles, Australian consumers have come to understand that the "Prices Dropped" and "Down Down" promotions relate to a sustained reduction in the regular prices of supermarket products' ACCC Chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb stated.

'However, in the case of these products, the 'Prices Dropped' and 'Down Down' promotional prices were actually higher than, or the same as, the previous regular price.'
Woolworths Group expressed its intention to review the claims and work with the ACCC.

'Cost-of-living pressures remain a key issue for millions of Australians who shop with us every week,' Woolworths CEO Amanda Bardwell said.

'Our customers are telling us they want us to work even harder to deliver meaningful value to them, and it's important they can trust the value they see when shopping in our stores.'

'We remain committed to offering many ways for customers to save at the checkout,' Ms Bardwell added.

'This includes thousands of weekly specials, everyday low prices on household essentials, a great-value Woolworths brand range and our Everyday Rewards program.'
Coles, on the other hand, stated it would defend the proceedings.

According to the retail giant's statement, it attributed the significant cost inflation to price increases from its suppliers.

'Coles sought to strike an appropriate balance between managing the impact of cost price increases on retail prices and offering value to customers,' the supermarket's statement wrote.
'The recommencement of promotional activity as soon as possible after the establishment of the new non-promotional prices.'

Consumer group CHOICE welcomed ACCC's actions towards the retailers.

'Promotional labels at the major supermarkets often confuse shoppers, and the frequent changes in prices make it difficult to tell whether there is a genuine discount or not,' CHOICE Director of Campaigns Rosie Thomas said.

'Earlier this year, our nationally representative research revealed that on average one in four people found it difficult to identify if certain supermarket labels represented a true discount,' Ms Thomas added.

The ACCC's current legal action should hold Woolworths and Coles accountable and deter other companies from engaging in similar practices.

The timing of this lawsuit coincided with a proposal that could impose stricter penalties on large supermarkets that mistreat suppliers.

The ACCC's actions serve as a reminder to scrutinise supermarket deals constantly.
Key Takeaways
  • The ACCC initiated legal action against Woolworths and Coles after allegations of misleading pricing.
  • Claims suggested that the supermarkets increase product prices first before promoting them as discounted.
  • Consumer champion group CHOICE lauded the ACCC's action and indicated that the misleading discounts fool many Aussie shoppers daily.
  • This legal action was part of a broader focus on supermarket conduct, including the treatment of suppliers and its impact on consumers.
Have you ever been misled by supermarket pricing before? What are your thoughts on this issue? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I refuse to buy anything at full price, especially brand name products. I purchase them when they go to 1/2 price.
If they can sell them at this price why not all the time.
I do exactly the same thing. Also people should look on the bottom shelf for bargains.
e.g. Nescafe Sachets are usually around $7.85 for ten, but you can get a box of 26 for $11.00 on the bottom shelf.

Of course we are all being ripped off. Just look at the docket total and the few items you have purchased. Most people l engage with are all talking about the costs of groceries. As my mum says. They are crooks😤
Kind regards to all Vicki

If supermarkets are treating their customers like fools then, I say, let's boycott these supermarkets. I am so tired of being treated like I am an idiot because I accept that they are doing right by their customers. Which apparently they are not. Looks like it's "come in sucker" to these businesses. Just fed up.

Reactions: relljube and croz
If supermarkets are treating their customers like fools then, I say, let's boycott these supermarkets. I am so tired of being treated like I am an idiot because I accept that they are doing right by their customers. Which apparently they are not. Looks like it's "come in sucker" to these businesses. Just fed up.
Well said Janice. You are on the money.
Kind regards Vicki

If proven true?, the supermarkets themselves often post the date when it was higher in an effort to deceive imo, and I'm surprised people are not aware of this already, perhaps those who do not shop regularly take it at face value, but I know when they imo are lying.

Reactions: croz
I regularly purchase The Good Grocer Free Range Eggs 700g per dozen from their store in Applecross, Perth.

In July, $5.00

In August, $6.00 or 2 for $10

Last Saturday, $7.00

How do they justify a 40% increase in two months?

The answer is simple. The are affiliated with Australia's greatest gougers - IGA.

• Angry
Reactions: DEL boy and DLHM
I refuse to buy anything at full price, especially brand name products. I purchase them when they go to 1/2 price.
If they can sell them at this price why not all the time.
I do the same, StarTrekker. However, a lot of times, the product prices are inflated, and then, whoopee, they're half price or 'on special'. They must really think we're stupid!