ACCC issues appeal over 'misleading' supermarket practices

Are you tired of feeling like you're being taken for a ride every time you shop at Coles or Woolworths? Do you suspect that you're being overcharged at the checkout?

If so, now is your chance to do something about it.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has called on supermarket customers to share their shopping experiences, particularly if they've encountered anything they believe to be 'confusing or misleading'.

The ACCC's public appeal comes as part of its investigation into supermarket pricing practices. This is a golden opportunity for consumers to voice their concerns and potentially influence future supermarket policies.

Recently, social media has been abuzz with disgruntled customers expressing their frustrations over high supermarket prices.

shutterstock_2282182035.jpg
The ACCC has called on supermarket customers to share their shopping experiences. Image source: Shutterstock.

One father's post went viral after he shared his disbelief at paying nearly $200 for a small trolley of groceries at Coles.

Another customer expressed shock at Woolworths charging $16.90 for two organic red capsicums.

There have also been complaints about misleading discounts. Customers have reported lifting a 'special' price tag only to find that the numbers don't add up.

Coles recently had to apologise to customers after it incorrectly increased some of its 'locked' prices.

The ACCC is not only interested in hearing from customers.

They also called for submissions from farmers, wholesalers, retailers, and other interested parties.

'We know that consumers and suppliers alike have a range of concerns about Australia’s major supermarkets, and this is their chance to have their say,' ACCC Deputy Chair Mick Keogh stated.

'We will be using our legal powers to compulsorily obtain data and documents from the supermarkets themselves, but consultation with consumers and grocery-sector participants is an important first step in our inquiry.'

Customers are invited to complete an anonymous 10-15 minute survey on the ACCC’s website.

'We want to hear from you about how you choose where to buy your groceries, and which products you buy. We also want to hear about any particular concerns that have arisen for consumers in relation to supermarkets,' the ACCC reiterated.

The ACCC is also keen to hear about 'confusing or misleading' practices, such as 'was/now' pricing or 'shrinkflation'.

'Was/now' pricing can be misleading if a supermarket advertises a product discount but has actually raised the price of the item just before the sale.

'Shrinkflation' refers to reducing the size of a product while its price remains the same, or sometimes even increases.

Grocery supply chain participants and other interested parties can make submissions via the ACCC’s consultation hub.

The deadline for both the survey and submissions is April 2, 2024.

This is the first comprehensive inquiry into the grocery sector by the ACCC since 2008. The inquiry, which will last 12 months, is being conducted at the direction of the federal government.

It is separate from the federal senate inquiry into supermarket prices and a review of the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has started an investigation into supermarket pricing practices and has called on customers to share their experiences and concerns.
  • Shoppers have expressed their frustrations on social media about high prices and potentially misleading discount practices at Coles and Woolworths.
  • The ACCC has invited consumers and grocery-sector participants, including farmers and wholesalers, to provide input through a survey and submissions through the ACCC's consultation hub.
  • The investigation will examine issues such as 'was/now' pricing and 'shrinkflation', and is part of a 12-month inquiry into Australia's supermarket sector, which has not seen a comprehensive ACCC review since 2008.
What are your thoughts on supermarket pricing practices? Have you ever felt misled or overcharged? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Supermarket prices are out of control
Increases are not the regular few cents at a time that we were once used to seeing The other day I went to Cole’s to purchase a packet of 24 party pies They had risen $3 from $9 to $12 I refuse to pay that much
This sort of increase is too often seen in supermarkets

Reactions: Ezzy and ElizabethL
Great examples of why we need a more regulated retail market.

No. 1 The items that are listed at 50% off have to be supported by the duopoly increasing prices across the board.

No.2. The cost for a home delivery is approx $15. There is no way on this earth that the $15 would cover the assembly, delivery, and staff costs. Sooo to justify these expenses we are all paying the price gouging to offset the cost. Store shoppers are subsidising the cost for those people who are too lazy to do their shopping. I doubt that a $15 delivery fee would cover the said costs.

No.3 Self-service checkouts. Here we are virtually forced into using Self Service rather than the usual checkouts. Again whilst there should be a price benefit, this is not reflected the the pricing code.

No.4 Price gouging. One example for months Cadbury large chocolate blocks had a ticket saying everyday savings at $6, about the 1st of February 2024 the very same ticket read $7. A whopping $1 increase which equates to a 16% increase. This is just one example of thousands of price rises. No wonder we have inflation.

No.5 Fruit and vegetables is the first section one encounters when entering a Coles or Woolworth's store. Why because of the massive market that these products enjoy.

No.6 Talk about customer discrimination in Woolworths if you are not a member of their reward club you must pay a higher price.
Special deals with other initiatives again are customer discrimination.

I could go on and on through to No. 20 about this price gouging which affects, we the most important link in the exercise ..THE CUSTOMER.

Johnny Rodgers

Woolworths advertised legs of lamb for $8 a kilo before Christmas. We visited 9 Woolworths stores on the first day the ad ran and not one had any in stock. We continued to visit various Woolworths stores regularly for the entire month the ad ran and there was never a single leg of lamb to be had at that price. I asked others and not one person I spoke to had ever seen a leg of lamb in Woolies at that price. Yet they ran expensive TV ads.
I have seen this on other occasions. Ads promote an appealing special to pull people into the store but the product advertised is not available. If you complain, staff will usually offer a replacement product at a much higher price saying the demand was high and they sold out of the special already.

The big supermarkets are ripping off their customers because they can and are just so greedy, gone are the days when they were cheaper than the corner shop that are at times changing less than then Woollies and Coles and they don't buy in bulk

The attack Coles and Woolworths, once trusted and respected Australian companies, is a polarising tactic adopted by populist politicians to divide Australians and deflect from their own incompetence and savage rorting. I shop at both. Their prices are competitive, their service is first rate, and a polite question will see any pricing errors quickly resolved.

Would love to see all stores remove all their gimmicks and unnecessary rewards, member only rubbish. We are all a member when we shop in the store. Stop sending emails offering specials on what I have purchased previously. Put some staff on the checkouts and perform some old-fashioned service.

They know people are stuck .no real competition.
It's time albo acted for the good of all Australian
Families .wake up Australia .you voted in the trouble now let's get some guts & stand up against the greedy arseholes . Amen . Julianne

Reactions: melnugro
I got tired of being overcharged at Cole s & Woolies ---my fightback was to activate the calculator on my mob. phone. i have since caught them out a number of times being ripped off from $2 & up to $16 & all they can come up with is oops,sorry --i should have recieved all my shop for free.---CARRY A CALCULATOR.
Supermarket prices are out of control
Increases are not the regular few cents at a time that we were once used to seeing The other day I went to Cole’s to purchase a packet of 24 party pies They had risen $3 from $9 to $12 I refuse to pay that much
This sort of increase is too often seen in supermarkets

I got tired of being overcharged at Cole s & Woolies ---my fightback was to activate the calculator on my mob. phone. i have since caught them out a number of times being ripped off from $2 & up to $16 & all they can come up with is oops,sorry --i should have recieved all my shop for free.---CARRY A CALCULATOR.
I always add mine up too. Fruit and vege requires a bit of maths skills and guesswork at Coles, but Woolies scales calculate the price. Usually come pretty close.

Reactions: midgemills and SEAN
All who commented please go to the link in the story and put it to someone who will listen and my be able to do something

If 15,000,000 people walk away from Coles & Woollies' FOREVER you watch the reaction..... just saying.

Reactions: melnugro
The attack Coles and Woolworths, once trusted and respected Australian companies, is a polarising tactic adopted by populist politicians to divide Australians and deflect from their own incompetence and savage rorting. I shop at both. Their prices are competitive, their service is first rate, and a polite question will see any pricing errors quickly resolved.
Well said and I agree. The retailers are governed by their suppliers both in pricing and availability. If there is no supply of something then there is not a lot that the retailers can do. Do consumers assume that Woolworths or Coles simply stockpile their meat specials in some mystery warehouse with massive cold storage facilities just to avoid supplying the advertised specials? No, of course not. It is certainly first come, best dressed for the good specials offered. Not to mention that for instance Woolworths completely review and change their specials catalogue every Tuesday evening so look for specials on Wednesday morning and quickly grab them before they run out. That's why they have specials.
On the subject of delivery costs Woolworths have a delivery "club" that members can join for $13.00 per month which gives them free deliveries for all orders in excess of $75.00 in that month. There appears to be no limit to the amount of deliveries in that month.
So C'mon people, get your facts straight before condemning your retailers, they certainly make a quid but that is how their shareholders are encouraged to invest for a return on funds. You have choices, buy shares or take you business elsewhere. Do one or the other or simply stay with your retailer of choice and build a happy relationship.

• Angry
Reactions: amandaloisjupp1961
if that ever happened(like, never!) it would put thousands upon thuosands of people out of work along with farmers left with nowhere to flog their goods.
I doubt it. People would migrate towards the local greengrocers and it would open up competition....

Reactions: Mr Chips