Abuse of power? Officer allegedly assaults 70-year-old woman in hospital

Disclaimer: This article tackles distressing topics such as abuse. Reader discretion is advised.

In times of need, we often go to authorities for help, protection, and security.

What happens if they fail to do their task to serve and protect?

In a disturbing turn of events that left a community reeling, a police officer overstepped the bounds of his authority, hurting an innocent citizen in the process.

The incident occurred at the Northern Hospital in Epping, where 70-year-old Sylvia Villani received treatment.

Mrs Villani, who was in a wheelchair with a plastered leg, described the incident as sudden and unprovoked.

'I threw a bit of bread on the ground...I was in a wheelchair, and he punched me,' she recounted.

compressed-pexels-police.jpeg
A police member allegedly attacked a senior citizen without provocation. Image Credit: Pexels/Kindel Media

Mrs Villani sustained a broken eye socket, a 'black and blue' eye, and significant pain.

The emotional and physical toll on Villani has been considerable.

'I can't walk, I can't sit, I'm buggered,' she lamented.

'I don't know why he did it. I did call him some nasty names, I wasn't happy, but I didn't deserve it.'

Prior to the attack, three other police officers entered the hospital's premises.

The Villani family only knew of the situation after the hospital's notification.

Sylvia's son, Rick Villani, aired his frustration about the situation.

'I know my mum has mental health issues, and she's not perfect, but they've treated me, my wife and my mother with no respect,' he stated.

Victoria Police confirmed that the officer in question was on duty at the time of the incident.

Since then, the 26-year-old constable has been standing down following an internal investigation.

He had been charged with one count of recklessly causing injury.

The constable will also appear before the Heidelberg Magistrates' Court on 9 September.

Mrs Villani's case raised numerous questions about law enforcers' conduct and mandates to uphold the law and protect citizens.

It also highlighted the vulnerability of senior citizens, mainly when they are in a compromised state of health.

Incidents like these serve as a stark reminder to stay vigilant and ensure that those in positions of power are held accountable for their actions.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, seek help and report the incident to the appropriate authorities.
Key Takeaways

• A Victorian police officer was charged with recklessly causing injury after allegedly punching 70-year-old Sylvia Villani in a hospital.
  • The 26-year-old constable was stood down following an internal investigation by Victoria Police.
  • The unprovoked assault resulted in a broken eye socket and painful injuries.
  • The charged officer is set to appear before Heidelberg Magistrates' Court on 9 September.
Have you or someone you know ever felt mistreated by authorities? What can we do to keep our communities safe? Share your thoughts and insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
One thing you cannot trust is a copper. They are all bigheaded, up themselves Muppets who constantly lie to achieve their goal - which is to destroy you. I would love to treat them as they treat us ordinary citizens but of course you can't because you would be charged with assault. How some of them get through the signup process astounds me.

That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard.
Have you met "every copper".
There are good and bad people in every occupation
Unfortunately the world is not perfect, this particular police officer being such an example.
This does not give you the right to denigrate them all.
Would I be right in assuming that you have been on the wrong side of the law at some stage and that accounts for your paranoia.

Unfortunately the world is not perfect, this particular police officer being such an example.
Would I be right in assuming that you have been on the wrong side of the law at some stage and that accounts for your paranoia.
No, I haven't been on the wrong side of the law it is just my observations. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will let you have yours without being rude and narcissistic. I haven't met every copper (thank Christ) but I do have a nephew who is one. He is as bad as the rest of them.

Oh my goodness, why would anyone punch an older lady sitting in a wheelchair she was no physical threat to the police officer. Maybe she was rude or whatever but for goodness sake. It sounds like this person is in the wrong job. This is happening far to much to older people and people with mental illness or disorders. If we can't trust the police to handle theses situations we are in a bad society. I feel for this lady and her family. It's just not acceptable.
Kind regards to all Vicki

No, I haven't been on the wrong side of the law it is just my observations. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will let you have yours without being rude and narcissistic. I haven't met every copper (thank Christ) but I do have a nephew who is one. He is as bad as the rest of them.
So,.if you have never had any problems with police yourself, what observations? And why do you have this opinion of ALL police, as you say.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand your logic.
You also appear to have a misunderstanding of the word narcissistic.

So,.if you have never had any problems with police yourself, what observations? And why do you have this opinion of ALL police, as you say.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't understand your logic.
You also appear to have a misunderstanding of the word narcissistic.
As said before, there is good and bad in every occupation. I have met some really nice police officers,and no I haven't been on the wrong side of the law.

There are a lot of missing pieces to this story. I’ve seen it on the news as well and the story isn’t complete there either.
My thoughts exactly. From the tone of the article, it appears that several members of that family have had run ins with the law. Not excusing the alleged assault but things aren't always as they appear on the surface.
🤔

No wonder it is called law ENFORCEMENT. Law exacted not by consultation and negotiation, but by inordinate use of excessive force on a much weaker and vulnerable member of the public.

This PIG would not even think of doing the same act of gutless violence to a 6' 2" male of the same age. Because he is such a "brave" soul. More like arsehole!

Give me 60 seconds with this wimp. Nah! Make it 30 seconds since he wouldn't last a full minute!

Last edited:
My Brother in Law, Johnny Price, was a wonderful man and Policeman. He was very tall, gentle and caring -every one loved him. One day he was returning to Police station after his shift had come to an end, and came across quite a terrifying scene . There was a man holding up the police on duty there in the Walsall Police station -with a gun. Johnny single handedly disarmed the man and got a commendation from the Queen.
Every one called him the gentle giant He was absolutely a lovely caring man. Like every career, job etc you get the good, bad and the indifferent

I think this incident just highlights how lacking police forces are in their training of officers on how to handle situations with the elderly, infirm and mentally ill. Law enforcement has a very difficult job to do at the best of times but, a police officer punching an elderly lady with a broken leg, sitting in a wheelchair, really defies belief, and can't be excused or brushed under the carpet,

One thing you cannot trust is a copper. They are all bigheaded, up themselves Muppets who constantly lie to achieve their goal - which is to destroy you. I would love to treat them as they treat us ordinary citizens but of course you can't because you would be charged with assault. How some of them get through the signup process astounds me.
You know all the cops do you? They are ALL big headed & up themselves Muppets?? Why so hypercritical - sounds delusional as you’ve had no interaction with police.

Last edited:
My son & nephew are SA police officer’s. They are both good people. My son has saved the life of a baby & put his own life at risk. He has also removed children from violent situations & had several other incidents where he has helped elderly people in bad situations. His brother has I.D. so both my son & nephew gave talks to their peers during training about interacting with PWD.
I’ve also had a lot of interaction with different officer’s when my youngest has had meltdowns at home or in public & only ever had 1 who was ignorant & rude.

Last edited:
You have hit the nail on the head.Sounds like this woman was mouthing off and he just lost his cool.

Good comment.

Thank you, you have just insult me & my family. People join the police force to help people You can't help people that cant be helped! This officer is a minority.

If the copper lost his cool at someone mouthing off, he is in no way fit to be a police officer. If that triggers him (pun intended), what's next? A Glock point blank to the head?
l agree and of course he had no right to hit her.l was only saying if you get some person calling you names which she said she did l can see how it could happened. We haven't got the whole story.

I think this incident just highlights how lacking police forces are in their training of officers on how to handle situations with the elderly, infirm and mentally ill. Law enforcement has a very difficult job to do at the best of times but, a police officer punching an elderly lady with a broken leg, sitting in a wheelchair, really defies belief, and can't be excused or brushed under the carpet,

I believe the officers involved in this extreme type of action need to lose their job. Thinking of the officer who tasered the 95yr old woman in Cooma also.