'Absolutely ridiculous': Woolworths customer rants over pint-sized $12 buy

The roast chicken, a staple in many Australian households, has recently come under fire from disgruntled Woolworths customers.

The supermarket giant has been accused of selling undersized chickens at inflated prices, leaving many shoppers feeling short-changed.

One such customer took to social media to voice her outrage after purchasing a hot roast chicken from the retail giant.

The $12 dinner buy, she claimed, was so small it wouldn't 'satisfy a small cat' and was 'absolutely ludicrous'.

‘Woolworths, may I ask why on earth you charge $12 for a roast pigeon?’ she asked.

F__wuExbMAAjd3y.jpeg
A woman complained to Woolworths about her ‘ludicrous’ $12 roast chicken. Credit: X (formerly Twitter)

‘This is ridiculous! I could catch a lorikeet with more meat on it.’

The disgruntled shopper didn't stop there.

When Woolworths reached out for more information, she fired back with a colourful response.

'Absolutely ludicrous that this is $12,' she retorted.

'Since when must one take out a mortgage to purchase a “chicken” that wouldn't even satisfy a small cat?’

‘I've taken bigger s**** than this thing that has still flushed if that gives you a better idea of the size of the bird.'

This isn't an isolated incident. Last year, another customer took to social media to express her disappointment at the size of her Woolworths BBQ chook.

'Geez, Woolies…what's the go here?' she asked.

'Hot chooks have gone up to $11 but seem to have shrunk…a lot!'

The controversy surrounding the size and price of Woolworths' roast chickens raises some interesting questions about the supermarket industry and consumer expectations.

Are we paying too much for convenience? Are supermarkets taking advantage of our busy lives by charging a premium for ready-to-eat meals?

It's worth noting that the price of a roast chicken at Woolworths includes not just the cost of the bird itself but also the preparation, cooking, and packaging. These are all services that save customers time and effort.

However, it's clear that some customers feel the price is too high for what they're getting.

The startling issue of the pricing of the roast chicken is not new. Woolworths has already been met with dissatisfaction from numerous shoppers—including SDC members—over the same product, stating they were disappointed over the smaller size of the roast chooks.

A member wrote, ‘The BBQ chicken at Woolies is usually overcooked to a frizzle and seem to be getting smaller for the same [price].’
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has criticised the supermarket giant for the small size of its hot roast chicken.
  • In a post on social media, the woman labelled the $12 dinner buy as 'absolutely ludicrous'.
  • She posted an image of the roast chicken, arguing it was too small to be satisfactory.
  • In response to the supermarket's request for more information, the customer likened the bird's size to that of a pigeon.
What's your take on this, members? Have you noticed a change in the size or price of Woolworths' roast chickens? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored

The roast chicken, a staple in many Australian households, has recently come under fire from disgruntled Woolworths customers.​

The supermarket giant has been accused of selling undersized chickens at inflated prices, leaving many shoppers feeling short-changed.

One such customer took to social media to voice her outrage after purchasing a hot roast chicken from the retail giant.

The $12 dinner buy, she claimed, was so small it wouldn't 'satisfy a small cat' and was 'absolutely ludicrous'.

‘Woolworths, may I ask why on earth you charge $12 for a roast pigeon?’ she asked.

View attachment 36557
A woman complained to Woolworths about her ‘ludicrous’ $12 roast chicken. Credit: X (formerly Twitter)

When Woolworths reached out for more information, she fired back with a colourful response.

'Since when must one take out a mortgage to purchase a “chicken” that wouldn't even satisfy a small cat?’

‘I've taken bigger s**** than this thing that has still flushed if that gives you a better idea of the size of the bird.'

This isn't an isolated incident. Last year, another customer took to social media to express her disappointment at the size of her Woolworths BBQ chook.

The controversy surrounding the size and price of Woolworths' roast chickens raises some interesting questions about the supermarket industry and consumer expectations.

Are we paying too much for convenience? Are supermarkets taking advantage of our busy lives by charging a premium for ready-to-eat meals?

It's worth noting that the price of a roast chicken at Woolworths includes not just the cost of the bird itself but also the preparation, cooking, and packaging. These are all services that save customers time and effort.

However, it's clear that some customers feel the price is too high for what they're getting.

The startling issue of the pricing of the roast chicken is not new. Woolworths has already been met with dissatisfaction from numerous shoppers—including SDC members—over the same product, stating they were disappointed over the smaller size of the roast chooks.

A member wrote, ‘The BBQ chicken at Woolies is usually overcooked to a frizzle and seem to be getting smaller for the same [price].’
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has criticised the supermarket giant for the small size of its hot roast chicken.
  • In a post on social media, the woman labelled the $12 dinner buy as 'absolutely ludicrous'.
  • She posted an image of the roast chicken, arguing it was too small to be satisfactory.
  • In response to the supermarket's request for more information, the customer likened the bird's size to that of a pigeon.
What's your take on this, members? Have you noticed a change in the size or price of Woolworths' roast chickens? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I buy a raw chicken from Woolies for around $9 - $10 and cook it in my Air Fryer on the Roast cycle They have a different flavour and provide my husband and myself with moist meat a enough for three days I used to only buy bbq chooks until a few months ago and will never go back to using them again It takes about 70 mins to cook

I don’t understand why anyone is still surprised. Our supermarkets are all price gouging and unfortunately too many are supporting this (by accepting) for various reasons. I have the luxury of not having to feed anyone else and have surprised myself at how very many products I truly don’t “need” It isn’t really healthy but I refuse to bend to their greed and go without a lot 🙄😢

The roast chicken, a staple in many Australian households, has recently come under fire from disgruntled Woolworths customers.

View attachment 36557

Key Takeaways

NO USE COMPLAINING ABOUT SIZE OPEN YOUR EYES YOU CAN SEE WHAT IT IS TO SMALL FOR YOU DO NOT BUY IT WOOLIES NOT PUT A GUN TO YOUR HEAD WAKE UP

View attachment 36557

Key Takeaways

Actually a roast pigeon would be classified as game and cost 5 times as much

Easy make your own. It's cheaper and so much nicer.

I posted a recipe for whole lemon n chilli chicken last week ..sooo easy
I don't know why but I have an uncanny habit of cooking roast chicken perfectly. No timer, no clock, just an instinct that the chook is ready. Maryland, drumsticks, everything except for wings. Total waste of time with 60% bone.

Always overcooked, the wings are not edible on most roasted chooks anywhere. Not to me toon all the additives & preservatives.
still do sometime when hungry 😂

Reactions: Veggiepatch

View attachment 36557

Key Takeaways

I remember when a Woolworths roast chicken was $7.90. They were huge and moist and delicious.
Now, they’re grossly overpriced, overcooked and overrated.
Sometimes I think how lovely it’d be to get a roast chook, but I wouldn’t waste $12 on one. It’s almost a luxury item these days.

View attachment 36557

Key Takeaways

Yep the price has gone up and the birds are smaller it is very noticeable and not just Woolworths Dirty Bird (KFC) THE Chicken portions are a lot smaller a Drumstick looks more like a wing portion price's through the roof and customer's getting ripped off 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: magpie1