Abruptly on-air pause: Find out what made this TV presenter stop live!

In a moment that captured the hearts and attention of viewers across the nation, ABC News Breakfast weather presenter Nate Byrne abruptly and unexpectedly paused the live broadcast.

The reason behind this interruption was not a technical glitch or breaking news but something deeply personal and human: a panic attack.

The incident occurred on a seemingly ordinary Tuesday morning as Byrne delivered Queensland's weather report.

He calmly requested to hand it back to his co-presenters, Lisa Millar and Michael Rowland.

1723591173121.png
Nate Byrne had to pause a live broadcast on ABC News Breakfast due to a panic attack. Credit: ABC News Australia / YouTube

'I'm actually going to need to stop for a second,' he said.

‘Some of you may know that I occasionally get affected by some panic attacks, and actually, that’s happening right now.’

‘Lisa, maybe I could hand it back to you.’

Byrne's transparency about his mental health challenges is not new.

In 2022, he penned a candid piece about his experiences with on-air panic attacks, describing his first encounter with the condition as a 'terrifying experience' that reshaped his view on mental health.

His co-presenter, Lisa Millar, highlighted this article and suggested revisiting it on social media to encourage openness and discussion.

‘Nate wrote a great piece on the ABC online website about this, and I reckon we might re-up it, put it on our socials, so you can have a bit of a read because it’s fantastic that he has been so open and transparent about it,’ she said.

‘The response when he first wrote about it and spoke about it was that everyone said, “Oh thank god, Nate’s not perfect, we thought he was perfect, but actually he’s now sharing something”.’

Upon returning to the show, Byrne apologised to viewers, but his colleagues quickly offered support.

‘You’ve been very honest before about getting panic attacks on air, and it’s great for people to know that it can happen to anyone,’ Millar assured him.

Rowland lightened the mood with a joke about having to take over the weather report.

‘Gave me a scare because I thought I’d have to finish doing the weather report,’ he said.

Byrne expressed his gratitude to his team for their support during the attack before the broadcast continued.

Rowland has since posted about the incident on social media, reassuring everyone that Byrne is doing fine after the event.

‘Nate’s open about his panic attacks — he’s even written about them before — and he’s doing okay!’ He posted on social media.

‘Thank you for all the supportive messages.’

‘As a team, we’ll always have your back, Nate. Always. (Although I hope I didn’t make matters worse with my bear hug off-camera).’

The public response was overwhelmingly positive, with many taking to social media to express their support and gratitude for Byrne's openness.

‘They are awful things. Love to him,’ one wrote.

‘So much love your way. Thank you for normalising panic attacks. This is what we need so badly: to know we are okay with being us,’ another commented.

‘Thank you for your openness and honesty. Makes it easier for others to speak up,’ a third said.

The incident also reminds us of other public figures, like Carrie Bickmore, who have spoken out about their battles with anxiety and panic attacks.

Bickmore, co-host of the Hit Network's Carrie & Tommy show, has shared her experiences with anxiety since her early twenties.

‘It’s hard, actually, to describe what I felt. It was like shame, I think, [also] embarrassment,’ she said.

‘I don’t think I really fully understood what was going on in my own head. I think talking about it almost made me feel more anxious, so I just kept it in my own head.’

Credit: ABC News Australia / YouTube

In related news, Lisa Millar announced her departure from ABC News Breakfast after a five-year stint as co-host.

She revealed her next chapter would involve working on other ABC projects, including Back Roads and Muster Dogs. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • An ABC News Breakfast weather presenter, Nate Byrne, had to pause a live broadcast due to experiencing a panic attack.
  • Byrne has previously written about his on-air panic attacks, and his co-presenters commended his openness about the issue.
  • Co-host Michael Rowland shared the incident on social media, affirming that Byrne was doing okay following the panic attack.
  • The incident prompted viewers and colleagues to offer their support, with many praising Byrne for normalising panic attacks and aiding in raising mental health awareness.
Have you experienced similar challenges before, or do you know someone who has? Your insights might be helpful. Feel free to share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
WHAT? PANIC ATTACKS NOW A MENTAL PROBLEM??? GET OFF MY SCREEN, I HAVE PROBLEMS TOO AND I GET OVER THEM AND I DO NOT NEED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. SICK TO DEATH OF THESE PEOPLE. CHANGE YOUR JOB.

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM
WHAT? PANIC ATTACKS NOW A MENTAL PROBLEM??? GET OFF MY SCREEN, I HAVE PROBLEMS TOO AND I GET OVER THEM AND I DO NOT NEED TO LET EVERYONE KNOW. SICK TO DEATH OF THESE PEOPLE. CHANGE YOUR JOB.
Panic attacks are very real. Yes, panic attacks are a mental health problem. You obviously don’t understand what they are. And perhaps you don’t care. That’s ok.

But telling someone to “change their job” is a ridiculous thing to say. Just goes to show your ignorance.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
WHY? i AM ENTITLED TO HAVE MY SAY THE SAME AS YOU. yOU DO NOT WORK AS YOU ARE ON HERE EVERYDAY.
Correct! I do not work.

But reading your posts is causing deafness in my eyes....

Please provide evidence that panic attacks are not a psychological issue or are you implying that they are the figment of one's imagination.

Reactions: DLHM
I have done your homework, not that you would have bothered anyway.

May I suggest you check out "DSM-5 Criteria for Diagnosing Panic Disorder". DSM stands for Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a tool I have used many times during my work with people with a disability.

EVERY time I refute someone's claim which I know as incorrect, I provide factual evidence to back it up. A lot of people resort to the old "I think....I feel....my belief is,,,," without knowing jack shit.

• Love
Reactions: Mrs Robyn and DLHM
Stopped watching the ''Activist's Bolshevik Collective'' way back in the early 2000's when their bias was just starting to become obvious!!341459576_2139864879558010_6192155548963815411_n.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Correct! I do not work.

But reading your posts is causing deafness in my eyes....

Please provide evidence that panic attacks are not a psychological issue or are you implying that they are the figment of one's imagination.
i am not a doctor and i do not need to explain myself to you. why does one not understand it is my opinion?

Good on you Nate, you knew you were struggling and are having an anxiety attack.
You did the right thing, very brave we are human well done.
Hopefully you are in a better head space now.
Kind regards Vicki