ABC journalist Alan Kohler issues a startling statement: ‘I’m not dead’

In today’s digital age, it's not uncommon for misinformation to spread just as quickly.

This was the case for Alan Kohler, one of Australia's well-known finance gurus, who recently found himself in the bizarre position of having to confirm his own existence.

Kohler was forced to take to social media to debunk a fake obituary that had been circulating online.

The false news of his demise had spread like wildfire, causing confusion and concern among his followers and the wider public.

Photo_20240202_083205_0000.png
Alan Kohler debunked a fake obituary circulating on social media. Source: X(Twitter)

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) finance guru had to post 'I am not dead' to assure his followers.

It turns out the fake obituary was not the only false information being spread about Kohler. He explained that there were numerous scam tweets and posts using his name, including product endorsements and recommendations.

Kohler's next post read: 'The reason I did that “I am not dead” tweet yesterday is that there's a lot of fake stuff around with my name on it, including an obit.’

He added: ‘Anyway, if you see something purporting to be a recommendation from me for anything at all, delete [it] and block [it]. Not me.'

The response from his followers was immediate, with many expressing relief that the seasoned presenter was indeed alive and well.

Comments ranged from expressions of shock to messages of support, with one follower stating, 'Thank goodness! I nearly fell off my chair. We need your wit and knowledge more than ever, Alan.'

‘I love your data and graphs, I'm glad you're alive,’ another commented.

A third person pointed out: ‘Seems to happen on a regular basis to different well-known Australians across different social media applications and articles. Not sure why it can't be stopped a bit quicker or not appear at all.’

The incident highlighted the growing issue of misinformation and scams on social media platforms.

Belinda Barnet, a Digital Media Lecturer at Swinburne University, revealed that scammers were using Kohler's image to advertise a cryptocurrency scheme.

‘I wonder if @abcnews and/or @AlanKohler realise their name and likeness is being used to sell a dodgy-looking crypto product (complete with “ABC website” navigation tabs that lead to a signup page etc),’ she stated.

Last year, a similar death hoax touched comedian Ellen Degeneres, who was the subject of a similar social media post. She’s not the only victim—other celebrities like Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Dolly Parton, Jimmy Fallon and Johnny Depp were also affected.

It's a reminder to all to be vigilant and critical of the information online. Always verify the source and cross-check information before sharing it. It's important to be aware that scammers often use celebrities to promote financial scams or malicious content.

As Kohler mentioned, an example of a scam is spreading fake ads displaying famous people endorsing a product. Of course, in reality, the celebrities had not made the endorsement.

ScamWatch received 200 reports of such scams in 2018, and the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) sued Facebook in 2022 for promoting such ads on its platform.

So, to set the record straight: Alan Kohler is alive and well and continues to provide his expert financial analysis to the Australian public.

As for the scams and fake news, remember to approach with caution and always verify before you share.

Key Takeaways
  • Alan Kohler, a financial journalist, had to publicly confirm he was still alive following the circulation of a fake obituary on social media.
  • Scam posts and reports spread across social media, using Kohler's name, including a fake obituary, causing confusion among his followers.
  • The ABC presenter warned his followers to disregard any recommendations purporting to be from him, as they are likely to be scams.
  • Digital media experts highlighted that scammers have been using Mr Kohler's image to falsely advertise a cryptocurrency scheme, which is part of a broader issue with fake news targeting well-known Australians on social media.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you ever fallen victim to such scams or misinformation? Share your experiences and tips on how to stay safe online in the comments below.

Sponsored
There is a new quote to go with "If it's flooded, forget it!" - it is, "If it is on the 'net, it could very well be false!" :(
This goes for news, videos, photos and facebook/TikTok/x - and various matchmaking sites!

I might be wrong, but from what I understand Newspapers will only print death and funeral notices from registered funeral directors.

Reactions: Scaveola
I am of the belief that this is part of the dumbing down of our society. People no longer get their information from credible researched news sources and rely on the main stream media on the internet. We should all remember the 5W and H rules - who what where when why and how - when we read anything.

I am of the belief that this is part of the dumbing down of our society. People no longer get their information from credible researched news sources and rely on the main stream media on the internet. We should all remember the 5W and H rules - who what where when why and how - when we read anything.
You sir, are a learned person who hit the nail fairly on the head!

Reactions: Bellclare