A woman was fined $117 for stopping in a ‘no parking zone’ – but she encountered an UNEXPECTED twist

One driver was left with a daunting fine of $117 for stopping in a ‘no parking zone’ but things unexpectedly ended on a positive note.

Her car was parked on a quiet street in the inner Sydney suburb of Newtown earlier in May and the woman made sure to leave a note taped to the inside of the windscreen to explain her circumstance.

“The battery died when I got home at 3am. I’m getting a jump today. I am so sorry!” the note read.

Despite this, she stumbled on a $117 parking ticket tucked beneath a wiper blade, positioned directly over the note.

The area where the car was parked prohibits vehicles from taking up the space (from 5am to 10am on Mondays) to make way for garbage collection. But upon further investigation, the Inner West Council decided to waive the ticket stating that the woman's situation was exceptional.

SGI31V9qBYkzdUdlRGjHEIVxL1ljmMRon7oT2zzDdsqmBEoiAsuY5mVfs9KVQazStkoCxNFtGvL3O45hGhXeiR4Bycv-91enJHxEnwq_asDZ2hSZgqnWyL3hiycedhj8qVKhR55VqYCm9CbL6Q
8kpDUGgU6gBKJhLiJ78RghultN6LWPkkNfZGxrejyMwIe4xRpc505hgXzjNB45p14OOPzDFmbAINYiI16almNK0P0rNZfPDsRdiVrAgvmavm3WnSZlP2Is_dYQQ5c5QKF3wHIByroezVLKsl_g

Image Credit: Daily Mail

“The vehicle was in a No Parking Zone in a narrow laneway, affecting neighbourhood amenity and impacting on services such as bin collection,” a spokesperson for the council said.

“But upon reviewing the offence, it is apparent there was a note on the windscreen. Council is withdrawing the penalty and apologises for any inconvenience.”

According to the consumer advice website Choice, parking fines are often wrongly issued and may be waived if you make a strong, valid argument.

Some of the many reasons that can warrant a fine to be revoked include faulty parking metres, damaged signposts or ones that are difficult to read, and if the council parking officer simply makes an error in issuing a ticket.

So, if you ever find yourself on the receiving end of a parking fine and you insist that your case is a mere misunderstanding, it’s best to gather as much evidence as possible by snapping photos of the obstructed sign or broken parking metre.

nXdtrOhLD3D024B8GQmCkzPd45HNrUs_K_pNJOJk3ECh2LzVGal9aCBuCKYSjVfZR8p7rI8uvpSXMRM3xc1eTytYpHQP-bAZ1EbbGC05HnuRggVwm08bnLHw8gBKGsxhqzYKvIrXfaRVnyh-kg

Image Credit: 9 News Australia

“Building up evidence increases your chance of winning your appeal so you may not need to take your case to court.” the website stated.

Fines issued by the council can be contested by simply giving them a heads up about your plan to fight the fine. This will either result in an immediate revoking of the fine (if your case is strong enough) or a magistrate hearing both cases and making a ruling.

Beware of fines issued by private parking companies as they are often dodgy, Choice said before advising readers to contact the Office of Fair Trading (or similar department in your area) to have your case looked into further.

What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments!

Learn how you can spot fake parking fines by watching the video below:

Video Credit: 9 News Australia

Sponsored
Last year I parked at my local shopping centre in the morning for about an hour then left to go to another shopping centre about 5 kms away and had to go back to my local later . Unwittingly I parked in the same spot and stopped for about 1/2 hour. I got a fine in the post and photos. Luckily I had receipts of parking and purchases with times at the other shopping centre. I had to argue because at first I just explained what had happened but then had to send copies of receipts so was lucky. Always wise to keep receipts for a few weeks.

Last year I parked at my local shopping centre in the morning for about an hour then left to go to another shopping centre about 5 kms away and had to go back to my local later . Unwittingly I parked in the same spot and stopped for about 1/2 hour. I got a fine in the post and photos. Luckily I had receipts of parking and purchases with times at the other shopping centre. I had to argue because at first I just explained what had happened but then had to send copies of receipts so was lucky. Always wise to keep receipts for a few weeks.
I hate this modern habit of being asked if you want your receipt, or worse, having to ask for it. I always insist on a receipt, because who knows when you might have to take something back, or prove that you haven’t walked out without paying.

Something similar happened to me when I was living in Paddington, NSW. Long-term parking is only permitted to residents and you have to have a permit sticker displayed on your windscreen. I bought a new car and used my old one as a trade-in, which meant that my new car didn't have the permit sticker (I bought the car on a Sunday). I left a big note on my windscreen explaining this and that I was going to get the sticker as soon as the offices were open. When I returned with the new sticker I found a parking ticket under the windscreen wiper right where my note was. Needless to say, I was annoyed. I sent a letter with the copy of the fine and a photo of my sign to the council, Because I was annoyed, I also questioned the parking police's intelligence, literacy and eyesight and hoped that their armpits would be infested with the fleas of thousands of camels. My fine was waived.

A woman was fined $117 for stopping in a ‘no parking zone’ – but she encountered an UNEXPECTED twist

One driver was left with a daunting fine of $117 for stopping in a ‘no parking zone’ but things unexpectedly ended on a positive note.

Her car was parked on a quiet street in the inner Sydney suburb of Newtown earlier in May and the woman made sure to leave a note taped to the inside of the windscreen to explain her circumstance.

“The battery died when I got home at 3am. I’m getting a jump today. I am so sorry!” the note read.

Despite this, she stumbled on a $117 parking ticket tucked beneath a wiper blade, positioned directly over the note.

The area where the car was parked prohibits vehicles from taking up the space (from 5am to 10am on Mondays) to make way for garbage collection. But upon further investigation, the Inner West Council decided to waive the ticket stating that the woman's situation was exceptional.

SGI31V9qBYkzdUdlRGjHEIVxL1ljmMRon7oT2zzDdsqmBEoiAsuY5mVfs9KVQazStkoCxNFtGvL3O45hGhXeiR4Bycv-91enJHxEnwq_asDZ2hSZgqnWyL3hiycedhj8qVKhR55VqYCm9CbL6Q
8kpDUGgU6gBKJhLiJ78RghultN6LWPkkNfZGxrejyMwIe4xRpc505hgXzjNB45p14OOPzDFmbAINYiI16almNK0P0rNZfPDsRdiVrAgvmavm3WnSZlP2Is_dYQQ5c5QKF3wHIByroezVLKsl_g

Image Credit: Daily Mail

“The vehicle was in a No Parking Zone in a narrow laneway, affecting neighbourhood amenity and impacting on services such as bin collection,” a spokesperson for the council said.

“But upon reviewing the offence, it is apparent there was a note on the windscreen. Council is withdrawing the penalty and apologises for any inconvenience.”

According to the consumer advice website Choice, parking fines are often wrongly issued and may be waived if you make a strong, valid argument.

Some of the many reasons that can warrant a fine to be revoked include faulty parking metres, damaged signposts or ones that are difficult to read, and if the council parking officer simply makes an error in issuing a ticket.

So, if you ever find yourself on the receiving end of a parking fine and you insist that your case is a mere misunderstanding, it’s best to gather as much evidence as possible by snapping photos of the obstructed sign or broken parking metre.

nXdtrOhLD3D024B8GQmCkzPd45HNrUs_K_pNJOJk3ECh2LzVGal9aCBuCKYSjVfZR8p7rI8uvpSXMRM3xc1eTytYpHQP-bAZ1EbbGC05HnuRggVwm08bnLHw8gBKGsxhqzYKvIrXfaRVnyh-kg

Image Credit: 9 News Australia

“Building up evidence increases your chance of winning your appeal so you may not need to take your case to court.” the website stated.

Fines issued by the council can be contested by simply giving them a heads up about your plan to fight the fine. This will either result in an immediate revoking of the fine (if your case is strong enough) or a magistrate hearing both cases and making a ruling.

Beware of fines issued by private parking companies as they are often dodgy, Choice said before advising readers to contact the Office of Fair Trading (or similar department in your area) to have your case looked into further.

What are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments!

Learn how you can spot fake parking fines by watching the video below:

Video Credit: 9 News Australia

Belonging to / calling the 24/7 RACV could have prevented disruption to bin services and neighbourhood traffic.

Belonging to / calling the 24/7 RACV could have prevented disruption to bin services and neighbourhood traffic.
I parked in a shopping centre for a short time and then went to another parking place to do further business. I had to return to the same shopping centre later that day and did not realise I had parked in the same spot so unfortunately got a fine. I explained what had happened but they refused to stop the fine. I then provided proof from the parking meter and the shopping centre I had attended on the day and finally they said ok but still gave me instructions on shopping centre rules which I knew already. What a waste of money and time !!!

Reactions: Ricci
Hi Defiant540, my comment re RACV was related to the "No Parking Zone" issue, not Lorraine's shopping centre fine? Not sure what you mean by 'how', unless that's what you were thinking . . . Karen
"Belonging to / calling the 24/7 RACV could have prevented disruption to bin services and neighbourhood traffic." asking how this would make a difference

Reactions: Ricci
"Belonging to / calling the 24/7 RACV could have prevented disruption to bin services and neighbourhood traffic." asking how this would make a difference
Clearly bc if RACV replaced the battery, or towed the car, there wld have been no ticket, & no potential disruption to bin services or local traffic.