A healthy alternative to a classic dish: Teriyaki eggplant and mushroom rice toppers

If you’re an avid foodie like us, then you know how difficult it is to stick to a healthy and balanced diet. Nearly all of the food items available in supermarkets are either heavily processed or packed with salt and sugar.

The same case applies when it comes to restaurants, as diners we are bombarded with junk and greasy food that are well… Undeniably delicious.

Contrary to popular belief, healthy meals don’t have to resemble rabbit food. They can be just as tasty as your guilty pleasure meals with a little bit of creativity and effort. So if you often find yourself dreading a salad or some green smoothie for dinner, then you need to give this recipe a shot.

In a TikTok video, Jeeca, who is also known as @thefoodietakesflight on TikTok, demonstrated how she makes teriyaki rice toppings using eggplants and mushrooms.

‘I really love rice toppings because the extra juices and sauces seep through the rice underneath and you get a nice, hearty bite.’ she can be heard saying in the clip.

Here’s what you need to replicate her recipe:

tvOyygHQSHorNAQg1xdBFWaoskpW2YO6TRUyGcSe-LMkq_T9T2YLL8AaHPB-80U0wbvG1xSz54OmJhN4BAJ1QTAuKMXY0yNYqBitfUiKa9GuElIws4HDs65eu1AV8WRI13XekexqlCyI2stCxcLqJbBzKyvqHeFuNwxnMkjZkvlaAygS2-t5J3xPjA
gX3vIui0COEYeQvXpMNDZ_i_I93ydPVeoJJBENXisTvfKVvCcj_YOn2-kIomhuD6k-HwENYn9LOJusvC9XnWtGqwJ9dCMfy3yk3KBlWO7gnQLc1mrHZLRgdXGw460wUbpICh9K9jAbIQLu4B7Ud9SuDCrEwSC27KTdbUpvHVHSoMALArtEXyB3ACZA

Easy-peasy teriyaki eggplant and mushroom recipe. Source: @thefoodietakesflight

1. Shiitake mushrooms or any type of mushroom you prefer
2. Eggplants
3. Salt
4. Sake
5. Mirin
6. Soy sauce
7. Brown sugar
8. Dark or black soy sauce (optional)
9. Rice

She starts by slicing shiitake mushrooms and eggplants into bite-sized pieces. As a bonus tip, Jeeca shared that she likes to briefly submerge the eggplant bites in water with a bit of salt to prevent them from browning.

Then, she pats the eggplant pieces dry with a clean towel before frying them on high heat. She adds the mushrooms along with a splash of sake, mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar, and a few drops of dark soy sauce for colour.

She mixes the ingredients gently and leaves them to cook until the sauce is reduced. Once everything is perfectly cooked, she scoops a generous amount and tops it over freshly cooked white rice. Jeeca finishes it all off by sprinkling some sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Yummy!

Source: @thefoodietakesflight

The healthy teriyaki recipe received tons of praise from TikTok users, amassing over 45k views and nearly 5k likes.

‘Hi, I just wanna say that I love your recipes! I make them for lunch now as they encourage me to eat healthy without compromising the taste. Thank you!’ one fan wrote.

‘Totally making this, looks like a fabulous lunch!’ another chimed.

‘Thank you for existing. I learned how to cook because of you!’ a third gushed.

What are your thoughts on Jeeca’s recipe? Are you keen to try it out too? Because we certainly are! Let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Kathie
Sponsored
I used to make my own teriyaki sauce , made enough to keep a small bottle in the fridge for future use. and splash a bit of it to meat and veges too and eat with rice.