SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
A great way to grow tomatoes! A tip sent in by Pete

Hey members!

The lovely member Pete emailed in this tip for growing tomato plants! Why don't you give it a try? I know I will be! Here's what he said to do:

'I was told a great way to grow tomatoes and I fully guarantee it works!
When you plant the plants plant them a lot deeper than you think, all the little fine hair at the bottom of the plant if plant that part in the soil they produce extra roots, I plant about a third in the soil making the plant much stronger better root system. Before you plant the tomato in the bottom of the hole break a egg in it and cut up a banana put a bit of soil then plant the tomato I fully grantee it works, I also during the summer bought over ripe banana's cut them into either 3 or 4 pieces and dug a bit of soil out around the drilling putting in the banana pieces. I had the best crop of tomatoes I have had in years I keep a few friends in tomatoes for the summer month.

When the plants have been in the ground for about a week spray the foliage with a weak dose of Epson Salts about a teaspoon in a 5 litre pump up sprayer (which I keep solely for tomatoes)
Trust me they respond very well to this, but it must only be done in the early morning this can be done weekly and keep up for as long as you need to. As the plants grow the dose can be increased very slightly or increased. Also only water tomatoes in the morning (that was a major mistake I was making I was watering in the evening mainly because I had to work early morning 6 days a week.)'

Let us know if you give this tip a try, or whether you have any other tips to share yourself!

Last edited:
A great way to grow tomatoes! A tip sent in by Pete

Hey members!

The lovely member Pete emailed in this tip for growing tomato plants! Why don't you give it a try? I know I will be! Here's what he said to do:

'I was told a great way to grow tomatoes and I fully guarantee it works!
When you plant the plants plant them a lot deeper than you think, all the little fine hair at the bottom of the plant if plant that part in the soil they produce extra roots, I plant about a third in the soil making the plant much stronger better root system. Before you plant the tomato in the bottom of the hole break a egg in it and cut up a banana put a bit of soil then plant the tomato I fully grantee it works, I also during the summer bought over ripe banana's cut them into either 3 or 4 pieces and dug a bit of soil out around the drilling putting in the banana pieces. I had the best crop of tomatoes I have had in years I keep a few friends in tomatoes for the summer month.'

Let us know if you give this tip a try, or whether you have any other tips to share yourself!
Im hoping to plant tomatoes this weekend Thankyou for the tip, will give it a try.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
Before planting my veggies l dig in some compost, then leave for a week or two. After that just use a complete fertilizer. Will try a couple of plants your way and compare. Meanwhile, any tips for Brussel Sprouts. Don't have much success.

Before planting my veggies l dig in some compost, then leave for a week or two. After that just use a complete fertilizer. Will try a couple of plants your way and compare. Meanwhile, any tips for Brussel Sprouts. Don't have much success.
Brussel sprouts require cool to cold to be grown successfully

Hi everyone! The lovely member Pete just emailed me saying he forgot to add some important information that helps with growing these tomato plants! Please read what he has to say below:

'When the plants have been in the ground for about a week spray the foliage with a weak dose of Epson Salts about a teaspoon in a 5 litre pump up sprayer ( which I keep solely for tomatoes)
Trust me they respond very well to this, but it must only be done in the early morning this can be done weekly and keep up for as long as you need to. As the plants grow the dose can be increased very slightly or increased.

Also only water tomatoes in the morning ( that was a major mistake I was making I was watering in the evening mainly because I had to work early morning 6 days a week.)'

I have also added this to the post above, but I wanted to make sure I commented this advice so all of you get notified of the added information!

Thanks so much :)

Thank you so much for the tomato growing tip, my question is, is anyone growing capsicums successfully? Any Tips?

Madeleine Bridges
Sippy Downs QLD 4556