A cunning bank scam wipes out couple's $240,000 life savings—are your funds at risk, too?

In an age where digital convenience is often celebrated, the darker side of our online world reveals itself in sophisticated scams that can devastate lives in the blink of an eye.

This harsh reality hit home for a Sunshine Coast couple, Kerry O'Mahony and Kerry Littlejohn, who fell victim to a cunning bank scam that wiped out their life savings, a staggering quarter of a million dollars.

This cautionary tale serves as a stark reminder that no one is immune to the threat of financial fraud, and it begs the question: Are your funds at risk, too?

The couple's ordeal began innocently enough as they sought to maximise their returns by shopping around for the best interest rate on their term deposit.

They came across an offer from ING Australia, or so they thought, which led to a series of events that would culminate in a financial nightmare.

shutterstock_2366596765.jpg
Sunshine Coast couple fell victim to a cunning bank scam, wiping out their $240,000 savings. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I clicked on obtain a quote, and within, I think, about a day or two of doing that, we had a phone call…from ING,’ O'Mahony said.

The purported ING employee provided them with competitive quotes, documents, contracts, and payment instructions, all adorned with the bank's official logos. However, it was all an elaborate facade.

The couple's savings were with Suncorp bank at the time, necessitating a visit to their local branch to facilitate the transfer of funds.

Despite some initial doubts, the Suncorp teller, after reviewing the emails, suggested, ‘He looked at [the emails], and then he said “yeah, it looks alright, but you know if you're really concerned, you can ring ING”,’ O'Mahony said.

O’Mahony did just that in front of the teller, using a contact number from a Google search.

‘I did a Google search for the ING contact number. [It] was exactly what I put in, and it came up: 13 34 64,’ she said.

‘It is their phone number, but I rang it, and I didn't get through to ING, I got through directly to the scammers.’

Assured by the fake ING representative on the other end of the line, the couple proceeded with the transfer.

The telltale signs of a scam were present but went unnoticed.

The account details provided by the scammers were for a Commonwealth Bank account, not ING, and the email address used was not an authorised ING email.

By the time the couple realised the scam and contacted Commonwealth Bank, their $240,000 had vanished.

‘[It was] taken out pretty much straightaway and then moved around the world through various IP addresses,’ O'Mahony said.

The pair blamed the scammers for the incident, but they also asserted that Suncorp is accountable.

‘I just felt that [Suncorp's] duty of care to us was sadly lacking,’ O'Mahony said.

O’Mahony and Littlejohn filed a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

In response, Suncorp Bank has stated that it is supportive and will fully participate in the external review process by AFCA.

ING and Commonwealth Bank have also released statements acknowledging the increasing sophistication of scams and the importance of educating customers on protecting themselves.

You can read Suncorp Bank’s full statement below:
This case is currently being reviewed by AFCA, the independent dispute resolution body for consumers with financial complaints.

Suncorp Bank is very supportive and will fully participate in this external review process.

Suncorp Bank understands the impact frauds and scams can have on individuals.

Alongside the banking industry, we are committed to implementing the
measures outlined in the Scam-Safe Accord including account name checking for domestic payments.

If you suspect you may have been scammed, please reach out and report your experience to the ACCC: https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam
Key Takeaways

• A Sunshine Coast couple lost nearly $240,000 in a sophisticated scam involving a fake ING employee and counterfeit email documents.
  • Despite being cautious and consulting a bank teller, the couple's call to verify the scammer's legitimacy was intercepted via phone spoofing, leading them to believe they were speaking to ING.
  • The scam highlighted failings in the verification processes, as the money was sent to a Commonwealth Bank account rather than ING, a detail that was overlooked.
  • The couple has lodged a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, and all banks involved have acknowledged the need for increased awareness and prevention of such sophisticated scams.
Have you or someone you know been affected by a similar scam? What measures do you take to safeguard your savings? Join the conversation below and help us spread the word on staying scam-safe.

Sponsored
Hello Everybody,
This is not a bounced cheque but a bank story, I will name the bank National Bank Australia. I recently lost my beautiful husband went to sort out the bank affairs,his account not joint,so it was handed to the bereavement team and locked up no access until probate.That isn't the worst problem, I closed another bank account and transfered an amount not to be sneezed at into a new account I had opened with the National in my name, into a bonus savings investment account, 5% interest paid on above balances . Last month my statement reads ,example of nearly exact figures $985.00, interest ,paid $483.00 . I quired the bank ,they tell me that I haven't supplied the Tax file number, so I lost over $500 in interest. I only lost my y husband then 3 months ago ,they new that , do you not think out of banking curtious, they could of notified me to add my tax file number to them before the interest bearing account received its bonus, these banks want you to invest in them and they do nothing to assist there customers in their daily survival, I then inquired if I supplied the tax file number ,would the interest be paid, I was told I could claim when I did my next tax return , which I haven't needed to do on carers pension while I cared for my ill husband, heartbreaking on top of my grief.
I was a bank employee decades ago.

The training then was that bank staff advise the need for TFN when an account is being opened.

We had to also inform the customer about interest implications that would continue until the TFN was provided.

I think the new account acknowledgement that was given to customers also stated this.

Maybe that's changed?

When you open an account the banks need your TFN. When you open your first account you should supply it when asked. Why then do banks not automatically apply it to your other accounts? Why?

One of biggest scammers I encounter daily are these stupid google ads on SDC enticing you to buy their junk. Should be made illegal

Hello Everybody,
This is not a bounced cheque but a bank story, I will name the bank National Bank Australia. I recently lost my beautiful husband went to sort out the bank affairs,his account not joint,so it was handed to the bereavement team and locked up no access until probate.That isn't the worst problem, I closed another bank account and transfered an amount not to be sneezed at into a new account I had opened with the National in my name, into a bonus savings investment account, 5% interest paid on above balances . Last month my statement reads ,example of nearly exact figures $985.00, interest ,paid $483.00 . I quired the bank ,they tell me that I haven't supplied the Tax file number, so I lost over $500 in interest. I only lost my y husband then 3 months ago ,they new that , do you not think out of banking curtious, they could of notified me to add my tax file number to them before the interest bearing account received its bonus, these banks want you to invest in them and they do nothing to assist there customers in their daily survival, I then inquired if I supplied the tax file number ,would the interest be paid, I was told I could claim when I did my next tax return , which I haven't needed to do on carers pension while I cared for my ill husband, heartbreaking on top of my grief.
I had the same thing happen and went to the building society and supplied TFN and they could refund one out of the two deposits as it was in the same tax year. The other older deposit I had to claim on tax as it was in the previous tax year. So if it was in the same tax year go and demand your interest back.

I don't think I'd have trouble using computer to navigate banking processes, but then I avoid doing so. As a multimedia student, I am too aware of how easily one could be scammed and simply don't trust such transactions. However, some individual in the UK tried to remove money from my one-and-only online account and my bank, Beyond Bank, saw the scam and froze my card.
I unintentionally failed to provide my Income Tax Number to a credit union I belong to, when I found out and advised them of my number the money was immediately repaid into my account.
I have been with Beyond Bank now for about eight years.
They are excellent.

Do any banks still have a counter and face to face contact? And what about Credit Unions? Can these please be advertised so that we can transfer our accounts to them?

Stop blaming the banks and institution. You are the one that handed your personal information to someone you didn’t know.
The bank didn’t do that.
But the info may have been stolen from them and not you. Just read the NEWS of who and how your info is being stolen.

Reactions: Choff5
Anyone who thinks that banks, or any business, gives stuff about the customer is delusional..... they are all in it for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hello Everybody,
Swap to Westpac!!!
I am now 89 and I have been with the same bank since I was twenty. Through all my problems from being scammed and the death of my husband, the bank has always supported me to help me. When attempts to scam me have started, the bank stepped in and guided me on how to stop it and prevent the scam from going through. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff. Now and then I go to the bank and withdraw a large amount of money (up to $2000) and each time the teller queries whether I have drawn it because I want to or if I have been persuaded to do it by either a friend or a relative. I really respect the care that is shown me by every one of the staff that I have met over the last 69 years. I cannot handle on line banking (it is too complex for me) but when I go to the bank, they still treat me with respect and never sneer or laugh at my inability to do money matters on line. So, join Westpac and you will never regret it. Cheers, Margaret

I have heard APRA is talking about banks' ceasing Osko payments and looking into 10 days waiting time, until money will be transferred into another person's account. All due to people getting scammed and wanting their money back from banks. Not sure if this will go ahead, but some people will rejoice, while others won't.

Last edited:
Every banking institution in Australia needs you tax file number to prevent money laundering so I'd say you weren't listening to the people at the bank who would've informed you of this. Seems all you are concerned about is the interest you are missing and not getting to your husbands money. Might be worth taking someone along next time so they can listen for you.

I have had dealing with the 4 big banks in the past, I swear that I will NEVER have anything to do with them ever again. The 4 big banks CANNOT be trusted with my money. I am so happy, that I switched to the Better Big Bank - Bendigo, where I always get looked after, better than any other bank. Two words for the 4 big banks - GET F....d.