SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
A Conversation Can Save a Life: R U OK Day

Members,

Every year, September 8th marks R U OK Day. R U OK is an Australian non-profit suicide prevention organisation that was founded by Gavin Larkin in 2009. It revolves around the slogan 'R U OK?', and advocates for people to have conversations with others. One conversation could, after all, save a life.

Use these four steps and have a conversation that could change a life:
1) Ask R U OK?
2) Listen
3) Encourage action
4) Check in

r u ok.jpeg
A guide on how to ask if someone is okay. Credit: ruok.org.au

What to do if yourself or someone you know isn't okay?
Please check this resources page to find organisations providing support. You are never alone.

WORRIED SOMEONE MIGHT BE SUICIDAL?
Contact Lifeline (13 11 14) for crisis support. If life is in danger, call 000

So, members, are you okay?

Last edited:
I’m certainly not suicidal, but just very sad because my son passed away 7 weeks ago on his birthday - turned 41.
He had a 14 month battle with bowel cancer and he suffered the whole time and leaves behind his wife and 3 children.
To top it off, my ex husband died suddenly 2 weeks before him
No parent should bury their child, my heart breaks every day 💔

Members,

Every year, September 8th marks R U OK Day. R U OK is an Australian non-profit suicide prevention organisation that was founded by Gavin Larkin in 2009. It revolves around the slogan 'R U OK?', and advocates for people to have conversations with others. One conversation could, after all, save a life.

1) Ask R U OK?
2) Listen
3) Encourage action
4) Check in

View attachment 5797

Please check this resources page to find organisations providing support. You are never alone.

Hi yes I'm ok,I'm off this morning,for Morning Tea and Lunch,and na group of us play Scrabble.I get beat just about every week.I just love the interaction.Have a great day everyone.Cheers Paula.👍😊

Members,

1) Ask R U OK?
2) Listen
3) Encourage action
4) Check in

View attachment 5797

I am a depression & anxiety sufferer. I have been in situations where I have thought about taking my own life if it weren't for my friends support & encouragement, things could have gone bad. Yes, I'm OK atm. 🙂

I'm off to a sausage sizzle and coffee do for RUOK day. No, I'm not really ok but I won't let on as I feel I can't give my reasons so I'll just smile and say yes, I'm fine, thank you for asking. I know that defeats the object of the day but just being with others for a couple of hours helps me forget for a while.:)

I’m certainly not suicidal, but just very sad because my son passed away 7 weeks ago on his birthday - turned 41.
He had a 14 month battle with bowel cancer and he suffered the whole time and leaves behind his wife and 3 children.
To top it off, my ex husband died suddenly 2 weeks before him
No parent should bury their child, my heart breaks every day 💔
Hi Kathy... RUOK ?... I can empathise with you, as the past couple of years, for me, have been a very similar path as yours... I get through because I have a wonderful family, and am able to concentrate on the beautiful blessings I still have... I sure hope you have blessings that you can relate to, to get through the hard times ahead... know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers... Judy

Hi Kathy... RUOK ?... I can empathise with you, as the past couple of years, for me, have been a very similar path as yours... I get through because I have a wonderful family, and am able to concentrate on the beautiful blessings I still have... I sure hope you have blessings that you can relate to, to get through the hard times ahead... know that I have you in my thoughts and prayers... Judy
Thank you Judy, I also am lucky that I have family around me, but my son can’t be replaced and he was the one who kept everyone together and he used to look out for me.
Just 😞

The simple answer is yes I am ok ...today. Some days are very difficult, still I have food and shelter, transport, internet and a few dollars in the bank, so compared to a lot of the world I am doing very well, still some days are a challenge, I could whine on about aches and pains but why bother, we all have our own personal challenges to face, probably mine are easier than a lot of people's. Just grateful to have a few good days amongst the less good days. Cheers to all, Trev

So sad to hear how people are suffering but I’m also glad they have this forum to tell people who care how they really are! If you feel it’s too much to let it all out - just being asked is a healing action.
I am one of those and don’t want to go into details - but a moment of companionship and support from an online group can bring some comfort and I wish for you all especially those dealing with loss and heartbreak to bask in the glow of strangers who love you and are interested to know how you’re going - so perhaps we can keep this thread open so we can check in on each other
Bless you for sharing, you’re braver than I am 🕊

I am a depression & anxiety sufferer. I have been in situations where I have thought about taking my own life if it weren't for my friends support & encouragement, things could have gone bad. Yes, I'm OK atm. 🙂
Hello, @Suestokes! I was also diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I want you to know that you're not alone in the struggle!

There were way too many times when I've also thought about ending things that I once ended up in the emergency room after an attempt - but boy, am I glad I'm still here or I wouldn't have become a part of this wonderful community or met my new best friend (in the form of a kitten)!

I must admit, there are still days when I feel like I'm back to square one... But I'm often reminded of how beautiful life is thanks to the members and the SDC team. There's so much to live for! You are loved. Please don't forget that, especially when times are hard ❤️❤️❤️