A concerned neighbour leaves an odd note on a car parked in Sydney – but some locals aren't happy

Members, how would you feel if you walked outside your home and suddenly saw a small note that an anonymous neighbour had left on your car, saying that your car's headlights were 'cloudy' and needed to be cleaned or replaced?

Would you be insulted by this, or would you feel relieved to know that someone is concerned for your safety?

That's what happened to one resident of Redfern, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, whose neighbour posted a letter warning them about the foggy headlights on their blue Toyota.

The letter read: 'Dear Neighbour, I also had cloudy headlights. It wasn't until I got them fixed I realised how reduced my vision had been while driving. Having my headlights restored made driving safer for my family, myself and other road users.

The anonymous neighbour continued by suggesting that the car owner take their vehicle in for headlight repairs at a local mechanic.

JBjBN69uvwkmpC5ZCDv0g_85qyYsvzxOxMXOj2N7aDIKOieNBJfCUer3ImnoAOm9zVW7i_Ffea-QmlvBdM3TPE8Rry2CqwJGewXuj8h3PxisBx9m-L7QqfJoh8oEMEQRTyGNFZZmI8hOSPJX_Ka2GVIeYhayVjUeximhC9wHZE4Aqpg1CgoounXYoA

A neighbour wrote a letter and posted it on a car windshield, advising the driver to get the headlights fixed. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

The owner of the car and the neighbour who left the message were both never identified, but it was another resident who lives nearby that noticed the odd interaction while heading to work.

He took a picture of the letter left on the windshield and shared it with Daily Mail Australia, saying: 'It shocked me that someone could be so passive aggressive and target their neighbours like this.'

'Some people just need to mind their own business, and focus on their own lives rather than meddling with others,' he added.

However, several other users disagreed with him, saying that it was actually 'kind' for the anonymous neighbour to leave the note.

'No, it isn't passive-aggressive. It's actually quite nice. They're just pointing out something that will make things easier and perhaps save lives,' one user wrote in the comments of the article.

A second added: 'How is this meddling or passive-aggressive? It's probably either a neighbour trying to be helpful or a business trying to get customers.'

Meanwhile, a third person went on to say: 'I really would not be offended, maybe just someone trying to help another soul out. In this day and age where people will literally film someone being beaten up or killed, there are still good humans out there.'

fXF46Fd_8_l0QEXR_3xxaYtC6lA3TDy2Sf-Ubl8zwFzRxRbW1hsDNRX2DYMO4XGrGbG3W-f0Ap5CI0PM6wxm5jX7j91pbfMhbjmNng8Xhox3ZJTv3iAKPzciP3gxszHEJX6Fjeu2A8YXmXF6bNE2AYWqKui2HbSO-qQPsF-VBihE_TSMQdYr0hiUog

UV rays and dirt will damage a car's headlights over time. Credit: Getty Images/Jiggo_thekop.

One of the most crucial things a driver can do to protect themselves while out on the road at night or in low-light situations is to check the condition of their headlights (and fix them if necessary).

Over time, car headlights can fog up or turn yellow, reducing the light they cast on the road and compromising the driver's and pedestrians' safety. There are no penalties for foggy headlights per se; however, drivers in New South Wales (NSW) can be fined $116 for ‘not meeting headlight standards’.

Although there are many DIY headlight cleaning techniques, such as the one in the video below, we still advise having a professional mechanic handle the job.

Always make sure to watch out for your own safety on (and off) the road, folks!

Credit: ChrisFix.

Sponsored
Members, how would you feel if you walked outside your home and suddenly saw a small note that an anonymous neighbour had left on your car, saying that your car's headlights were 'cloudy' and needed to be cleaned or replaced?

Would you be insulted by this, or would you feel relieved to know that someone is concerned for your safety?

That's what happened to one resident of Redfern, an inner-city suburb of Sydney, whose neighbour posted a letter warning them about the foggy headlights on their blue Toyota.

The letter read: 'Dear Neighbour, I also had cloudy headlights. It wasn't until I got them fixed I realised how reduced my vision had been while driving. Having my headlights restored made driving safer for my family, myself and other road users.

The anonymous neighbour continued by suggesting that the car owner take their vehicle in for headlight repairs at a local mechanic.

JBjBN69uvwkmpC5ZCDv0g_85qyYsvzxOxMXOj2N7aDIKOieNBJfCUer3ImnoAOm9zVW7i_Ffea-QmlvBdM3TPE8Rry2CqwJGewXuj8h3PxisBx9m-L7QqfJoh8oEMEQRTyGNFZZmI8hOSPJX_Ka2GVIeYhayVjUeximhC9wHZE4Aqpg1CgoounXYoA

A neighbour wrote a letter and posted it on a car windshield, advising the driver to get the headlights fixed. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

The owner of the car and the neighbour who left the message were both never identified, but it was another resident who lives nearby that noticed the odd interaction while heading to work.

He took a picture of the letter left on the windshield and shared it with Daily Mail Australia, saying: 'It shocked me that someone could be so passive aggressive and target their neighbours like this.'

'Some people just need to mind their own business, and focus on their own lives rather than meddling with others,' he added.

However, several other users disagreed with him, saying that it was actually 'kind' for the anonymous neighbour to leave the note.

'No, it isn't passive-aggressive. It's actually quite nice. They're just pointing out something that will make things easier and perhaps save lives,' one user wrote in the comments of the article.

A second added: 'How is this meddling or passive-aggressive? It's probably either a neighbour trying to be helpful or a business trying to get customers.'

Meanwhile, a third person went on to say: 'I really would not be offended, maybe just someone trying to help another soul out. In this day and age where people will literally film someone being beaten up or killed, there are still good humans out there.'

fXF46Fd_8_l0QEXR_3xxaYtC6lA3TDy2Sf-Ubl8zwFzRxRbW1hsDNRX2DYMO4XGrGbG3W-f0Ap5CI0PM6wxm5jX7j91pbfMhbjmNng8Xhox3ZJTv3iAKPzciP3gxszHEJX6Fjeu2A8YXmXF6bNE2AYWqKui2HbSO-qQPsF-VBihE_TSMQdYr0hiUog

UV rays and dirt will damage a car's headlights over time. Credit: Getty Images/Jiggo_thekop.

One of the most crucial things a driver can do to protect themselves while out on the road at night or in low-light situations is to check the condition of their headlights (and fix them if necessary).

Over time, car headlights can fog up or turn yellow, reducing the light they cast on the road and compromising the driver's and pedestrians' safety. There are no penalties for foggy headlights per se; however, drivers in New South Wales (NSW) can be fined $116 for ‘not meeting headlight standards’.

Although there are many DIY headlight cleaning techniques, such as the one in the video below, we still advise having a professional mechanic handle the job.

I think it was written kindly not passive- aggressively at all. The biggest mistake is actually lifting a wiper and securing the note under - that is not acceptable as damage could be caused to the wiper arm.

why are people nowadays always try to see something bad in everything? And why is this one meddling with something that was definitely not meant for him, while complaining about someone else meddling with his neighbour's business/car? Just to have something to complain about on social media?

Just polish them with very fine sandpaper

Reactions: Ricci
As long as it wasn't someone looking for business, (ie advertising on other side of paper) then what's the problem?

Mind you, some people don't take kindly to unsolicited advice. I have always made a point of letting people know (where possible) if they have non-functioning lights at the back of their car, in case they aren't aware and are risking a fine. Most people appreciate the warning. A while back I stopped behind someone who had just parked and put my window down to tell them that one of their brake lights wasn't working, and received a stream of abuse from the 'gentleman' for not minding my own business!

I think the note was left with nothing but concern and kindness.

Why would this guy take a photo and send it to the newspaper....dude mind your own business.

I know Redfern and majority live in housing commission, not everyone but most and my sister is one of them.

There are alot of elderly folks that do look out for others and there are folks that you wouldn't want to run into at night

As a pensioner, money is tight. I have found a great way to clean and restore your headlights. Using a dry clean cloth apply some Brasso, using a circular motion. Then polish off with another clean dry cloth. It may take a couple of applications but your lights will look a lot cleaner and shinier. I am now in the habit of cleaning them when I wash the car. Just remove dirt and grime with a wet paper towel before applying the Brasso, then wash the car including the headlights. Little effort and job done. Lights look like new. This method is safe for both glass and acrylic lenses. A hell of a lot cheaper than having someone else do it.

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennie

I think the writer of the note should mind their own business. Chances are the owner of the car knows the headlights are cloudy and just did nothing about it and Toyotas are notorious for this.

No, when you are as old in the tooth as I am with 70 years of driving behind me, I'll give this one a miss. There's a couple of generations on the road now, mostly you'll be told to mind your own business or "Yes I know; what's it got to do with you.?" I didn't take the chance EVER with abuse or kindness whenever I was
driving alone. I just concentrated entirely on getting ME safely to where I was going.

Reactions: Ricci
This is an act of kindness!!! If someone told me or wrote a note pointing out a problem with my car I would be eternally grateful!!! Image not noticing a flat tyre or one of your headlights or tail lights was out!!! Wouldn't you be grateful to be told in an act of kindness???

Some people will take offence at this while others will be grateful, that's human nature. A hint from the note writer about how this problem could be remedied would have been helpful, but perhaps they thought just alerting the owner to the problem was help enough. Plastic headlight covers are a big problem for fading too of course. The toothpaste is a cheap way to fix the problem, in most homes & easy to do yourself.

I once walked across the road to tell a policeman living there his brake light was out. He already knew he told me. Not much of an example for the rest of us, we'd be pulled over. The other consideration was how long had he known about this?

Last edited: