A cautionary tale: How online prescription nearly led to this woman's demise

The convenience of modern technology allows us to do so many things online these days—shop, bank, and even get medical prescriptions without leaving home.

While these online prescription services have exploded in popularity, a woman’s personal experience showed there could be serious downsides and risks compared to an in-person doctor's visit.

Abbey Smith developed a urinary tract infection (UTI) in 2022 and decided to use the online service to help with her condition. Unfortunately, she was later rushed to the hospital and turned septic within a week.

For those unfamiliar, online prescription platforms allow patients to get assessed virtually and receive a prescription electronically if approved.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 125135.png
Abbey Smith shared her personal experience with an online prescription service. Credit: Mark Fletcher-Brown/Unsplash

Some see it as an easy fix for minor health conditions. Prescriptions can then be sent directly to the patient via email.

Abbey found the website of the online service easy to use, and she provided the standard information about her infection. A fee of $17.50 was charged to her credit card, and the prescription was sent to her inbox.

She picked up the medication from her local chemist and noted how quick and easy the process was and how she would use it again.

As any person whose suffered a UTI knows, the pain and urinary discomfort tend to improve after starting antibiotics. But for some reason, her infection didn’t clear up. She went to work despite feeling sick, and by the end of the day, she noticed her lips were turning blue, and she couldn’t warm herself up.

Abbey thought something was wrong, so she went to a hospital emergency room.

‘After a wait of almost eight hours and a few blood tests, I was told my white blood cell count was fine and to head home,’ she recalled.

But 24 hours later, Abbey suffered from fever and hallucinations. Her housemate immediately rushed her back to the emergency room, where they discovered she was turning septic.

‘The infection had spread to my blood, and I was admitted to hospital on the spot,’ she added.

After being admitted and treated with different antibiotics for four days, Abbey finally started recovering. The doctors explained to her what went wrong.

‘Before I was discharged, a doctor explained the bug in my system was E. coli, a common cause of UTIs resistant to the antibiotic I was given. No wonder my infection hadn't cleared up after taking it,’ she shared.

pexels-andrea-piacquadio-3769151.jpg
A doctor in the hospital explained that the bacteria in her system was resistant to the antibiotic she was initially prescribed. Credit: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) said that while online script services are convenient, it is still advisable to consult a doctor face-to-face.

‘If a patient has a health issue which requires follow-up, like a complicated UTI, they'll get safe care from a GP who knows their medical history,’ RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins stated.

She continued: ‘Face-to-face is always the best option as there are clinical issues that are hard to spot even via Telehealth service.’

Dr Higgins also noted that it also be better to use a telehealth service with your usual healthcare provider. ‘You're better off receiving telehealth from the GP you usually see or another at the same clinic who can access your medical history and coordinate with services in your area,’ she explained.

As for Abbey, she admitted that she won’t use an online prescription service again. ‘These days, if I'm feeling unwell, I book into my local GP and take the time to go over my medical history,’ she shared.

‘Online scripts may work in many cases, but I never want to experience what I went through again,’ she added.

While online services work for some minor issues, Abbey’s cautionary tale underscores the value of an ongoing relationship with a doctor who knows your medical history.

Key Takeaways
  • Abbey Smith shared her experience of using an online prescription service for a urinary tract infection (UTI), which resulted in her hospitalisation due to the infection turning septic.
  • She was prescribed an antibiotic that was ineffective against the E. coli bacteria causing her UTI, a fact she discovered only after being admitted to the hospital.
  • The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) advised that face-to-face
    consultations are still the best option, especially for health issues requiring follow-ups.
  • Abbey warned against relying on online prescription services and urged people to visit their local GP when feeling unwell.

If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, it is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your general practitioner (GP) for a thorough medical checkup.

What do you think of Abbey’s experience, members? Have you had any experiences with online script services? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Very hard with the way medical services are structured these days to have a family doctor.
Seeing adr face to face doesn’t always fix the problem. I was a lucky one when prescribed Tramadol. I was on anti depressants and went to the duty dr for pain meds. He prescribed Tranadol. It put me into a serotonin syndrome coma for 18 hours. Both meds produce serotonin and too much can be fatal. I was a lucky one.

Bad news re this lady BUT you can't blame online scripting and telehealth. She also went to a hospital and was seen by a doctor with blood testing. This is not scripting problem but a multiresistant UTI. As a RN and person who lives regional the teleconference and scripting service is a godsend as my GP has a 4 to 5 WEEK waiting period

The convenience of modern technology allows us to do so many things online these days—shop, bank, and even get medical prescriptions without leaving home.

While these online prescription services have exploded in popularity, a woman’s personal experience showed there could be serious downsides and risks compared to an in-person doctor's visit.

Abbey Smith developed a urinary tract infection (UTI) in 2022 and decided to use the online service to help with her condition. Unfortunately, she was later rushed to the hospital and turned septic within a week.

For those unfamiliar, online prescription platforms allow patients to get assessed virtually and receive a prescription electronically if approved.

View attachment 33352
Abbey Smith shared her personal experience with an online prescription service. Credit: Mark Fletcher-Brown/Unsplash

Some see it as an easy fix for minor health conditions. Prescriptions can then be sent directly to the patient via email.

Abbey found the website of the online service easy to use, and she provided the standard information about her infection. A fee of $17.50 was charged to her credit card, and the prescription was sent to her inbox.

She picked up the medication from her local chemist and noted how quick and easy the process was and how she would use it again.

As any person whose suffered a UTI knows, the pain and urinary discomfort tend to improve after starting antibiotics. But for some reason, her infection didn’t clear up. She went to work despite feeling sick, and by the end of the day, she noticed her lips were turning blue, and she couldn’t warm herself up.

‘After a wait of almost eight hours and a few blood tests, I was told my white blood cell count was fine and to head home,’ she recalled.

But 24 hours later, Abbey suffered from fever and hallucinations. Her housemate immediately rushed her back to the emergency room, where they discovered she was turning septic.

‘The infection had spread to my blood, and I was admitted to hospital on the spot,’ she added.

After being admitted and treated with different antibiotics for four days, Abbey finally started recovering. The doctors explained to her what went wrong.

‘Before I was discharged, a doctor explained the bug in my system was E. coli, a common cause of UTIs resistant to the antibiotic I was given. No wonder my infection hadn't cleared up after taking it,’ she shared.

View attachment 33351
A doctor in the hospital explained that the bacteria in her system was resistant to the antibiotic she was initially prescribed. Credit: Andrea Piacquadio/Pexels

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) said that while online script services are convenient, it is still advisable to consult a doctor face-to-face.

‘If a patient has a health issue which requires follow-up, like a complicated UTI, they'll get safe care from a GP who knows their medical history,’ RACGP President Dr Nicole Higgins stated.

She continued: ‘Face-to-face is always the best option as there are clinical issues that are hard to spot even via Telehealth service.’

Dr Higgins also noted that it also be better to use a telehealth service with your usual healthcare provider. ‘You're better off receiving telehealth from the GP you usually see or another at the same clinic who can access your medical history and coordinate with services in your area,’ she explained.

As for Abbey, she admitted that she won’t use an online prescription service again. ‘These days, if I'm feeling unwell, I book into my local GP and take the time to go over my medical history,’ she shared.

‘Online scripts may work in many cases, but I never want to experience what I went through again,’ she added.

While online services work for some minor issues, Abbey’s cautionary tale underscores the value of an ongoing relationship with a doctor who knows your medical history.

Key Takeaways

• Abbey Smith shared her experience of using an online prescription service for a urinary tract infection (UTI), which resulted in her hospitalisation due to the infection turning septic.
  • She was prescribed an antibiotic that was ineffective against the E. coli bacteria causing her UTI, a fact she discovered only after being admitted to the hospital.
  • The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) advised that face-to-face
    consultations are still the best option, especially for health issues requiring follow-ups.
  • Abbey warned against relying on online prescription services and urged people to visit their local GP when feeling unwell.

If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, it is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your general practitioner (GP) for a thorough medical checkup.

What do you think of Abbey’s experience, members? Have you had any experiences with online script services? Share them in the comments below!
I would never use it. If you are sick enough to require a prescription you should see a doctor personally. During the Covid problem I had a trip to hospital on a completely different problem. After discharge I was only offered phone consults as follow up. I regarded them as completely useless. No doctor can assess over the phone.

I think if you need a medication that is a script that you are just refilling that's ok but how can you be diagnosed properly without actually seeing a doctor.
It like I had a telehealth appointment with my doctor for scripts I'm already on but then she made a face to face appointment for something she needed to check ( which was for this morning and I slept through).

Also she won't refilling hubby's blood pressure meds , he needs to go in so she can actually check his pressure which has needed adjusting 4 times in the past 12 months

doctors are fast becoming last resort, I find telephone drs. just as good and more available, and cheaper, and give the same diagnosis, I find chemists are just as good, they are more 'hands on' with patients as drs are more businessmen in b' ness hours, and chemists have more experience in using the medicines.Since my dr only wants telephone consults ,,I find I can ring any dr in the world and get the same result ,only cheaper and exactly the same diagnosis, and prescriptions.Occasionally I use the local hospital for initial diagnosis and treatment and then use t'phone drs from o'seas for renewing prescriptions. my last renewal of my prescription cost $31 Aus and was exactly identical with my original diagnosis.... not everything gets dearer as time goes by

Reactions: Angela Cockburn
I used a telehealth appointment last December when my doctor was away as I had a positive covid rat test. The telehealth doctor asked my medical details and wrote me a script for antiivirals which he faxed to my chemist and they did a contact free delivery to me. I would normally do a face to face appointment with my doctor for most other health concerns.

View attachment 33352

View attachment 33351

Key Takeaways

Her doctor would have done the same thing. And when she could get another appointment to see the doctor it might be over a week. She would be in the same position. Local doctors or your own doctor would have prescribed an antibiotic based on her symptoms. This article is a scare tactic. I've used an online script and not had a problem. This was a bit beyond that and I do not think her doctor would have picked it up immediately so she would still have been on the same time line.

Reactions: Oldgirllaughing
If the matter is not serious there are also AFTER HOURS doctors who will actually come out to your home to assess you and prescribe. However, I once had one come to me at home - he didn't even take my blood pressure and just said I had an earache (totally unrelated to what I was complaining about). I guess he then got his money through the government system and he was most probably paid by the company he works for!!

Be wary, but there is also the alternative of after hours doctors; we usually front up at our emergency waiting room at our public hospital - I have had a stroke previously so my husband is always wary if I complain I'm not feeling the best even if I cannot pinpoint what/where that is. We are always looked after and being over the age of 75 get seen in reasonable time.

I have only used this service once before Christmas 2022 when l tested positive for COVID. A phone call was relevant because it kept me out of the waiting room. The script was written, picked up for me, taken to the pharmacy & medication picked up by my daughter.

One of the questions the G.P. did ask me was, 'who will pick up this script for you?'

In the Central Coast you are lucky to see a doctor three weeks after you need them, the hospital waiting room could be 8 hours if ambulances are coming in. The system is broken. I tried to get a repeat prescription through the telehealth system but they would not give me a script as it was for pain killer.

Reactions: Ezzy