A Canadian visiting Australia can’t believe what unusual phrase everyone is saying!

When travelling to new countries, it can be exciting to discover the unique customs and words they use. Even though you’ve only travelled a few thousand kilometres, you can still feel as if you’re in another world – as Canadian Josiah Hein found out when he visited Australia recently.

Josiah Hein was exploring the streets of Sydney when he accidentally bumped into someone and apologised – only for the man to say 'you're right' in response.

'I'm in Australia and I'm walking down the street – and there's this cool guy walking towards me in a suit,' he explained in a video. 'And both of us stop and I apologise – because Canadians apologise 7.8 times a day. He didn't say 'that's all good, bro' or 'that's okay' – the guy said 'you are all right' to me.'

The 'unique' phrase that apparently all Australians use, that no one else uses was so unusual to Josiah – but it’s such a common phrase in Australia that most of us take it for granted and might even forget how unique it really is!

People from different countries don’t always interpret different phrases the same way. Josiah noted that back home, he would expect responses like 'that’s all good, bro' or 'that’s okay', instead of the more matter-of-fact 'you’re right'.

It’s not surprising that this phrase caught Josiah’s attention – it also caught the attention of thousands of Aussies, who were completely taken aback to learn that the rest of the world doesn’t measure two-week periods using 'fortnights', as Aussies do.

Josiah was shocked to see the phrase on an Australian school calendar, saying, 'Here in Australia, look at this – there are 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, seven days in a week, 14 days in a fortnight, and 12 months in a year.'

'Fortnight? Has anyone else ever heard of this word? What is this, Harry Potter?' he asked in disbelief.

Josiah was even more surprised when he realised that 'fortnight' was actually a word used by Anglo-Saxons to measure the length of time between a new moon and a full moon, as well as a term that was commonly used in North America and Canada until the 1880s.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 120807.png
Josiah Hein, from Canada, was shocked to come across the word 'fortnight' in an Australian calendar. Image: TikTok / @josiahhein

Despite Josiah’s confusion, it is quite common for Australians to say 'you’re right'.

Travelling through the diverse landscapes of Australia also comes with a captivating journey through its regional dialects and expressions. As Josiah explored more of Australia, in the city, the bush, and along the coast, he realised that there were more variations and idiosyncratic expressions to learn.

Not only do regions vary in their expressions, but their accents differ significantly too. Adelaide, known for its genteel culture and fine wines, holds a slight British influence in its accents, with a pronunciation more refined and enunciated than in, say, the broad and distinctive twang of Perth.

These nuances in language make it clear that Australia is not just a land of 'you're right' and 'fortnight'. From its bustling cities to its serene countryside, each Australian region has its unique linguistic colour, mirroring its diverse lifestyle and heritage. For travellers like Josiah, this provides an enriching and humorous dimension to their Aussie adventure. As he admitted, 'It’s more than just seeing the sights. Truly understanding and immersing yourself in a place’s culture comes right down to the language you speak - it’s a part of the total Aussie experience I wouldn’t trade for the world.'

Key Takeaways
  • Josiah Hein, from Canada, is enamoured by the unique Australian phrase 'you're right,' commonly used instead of 'you're okay' or 'you're good.'
  • Hein was surprised by the casual and laid-back usage of the term. He believes it encapsulates the Aussie swag and greatly differs from response phrases in Canada or America.
  • He was also stunned to find the word 'fortnight' used in Australian calendars, a term he associated only with Harry Potter.
  • Many Australians online were surprised that the rest of the world did not use 'fortnight' to denote two weeks, an Australian practice derived from the Anglo-Saxons using fortnights to measure the length of time between a new moon and a full moon.

From 'you're right' to 'fortnight,' Josiah's vocabulary has certainly expanded during his Aussie adventure. 'I love discovering these quirky cultural differences,' he said. 'It makes travel so enriching.' Though he's headed to New Zealand next, Josiah hopes a little bit of Australia's humour and charm will stay with him forever.

Have you come across any other unusual phrases or customs in your travels? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
When travelling to new countries, it can be exciting to discover the unique customs and words they use. Even though you’ve only travelled a few thousand kilometres, you can still feel as if you’re in another world – as Canadian Josiah Hein found out when he visited Australia recently.

Josiah Hein was exploring the streets of Sydney when he accidentally bumped into someone and apologised – only for the man to say 'you're right' in response.

'I'm in Australia and I'm walking down the street – and there's this cool guy walking towards me in a suit,' he explained in a video. 'And both of us stop and I apologise – because Canadians apologise 7.8 times a day. He didn't say 'that's all good, bro' or 'that's okay' – the guy said 'you are all right' to me.'

The 'unique' phrase that apparently all Australians use, that no one else uses was so unusual to Josiah – but it’s such a common phrase in Australia that most of us take it for granted and might even forget how unique it really is!

People from different countries don’t always interpret different phrases the same way. Josiah noted that back home, he would expect responses like 'that’s all good, bro' or 'that’s okay', instead of the more matter-of-fact 'you’re right'.

It’s not surprising that this phrase caught Josiah’s attention – it also caught the attention of thousands of Aussies, who were completely taken aback to learn that the rest of the world doesn’t measure two-week periods using 'fortnights', as Aussies do.

Josiah was shocked to see the phrase on an Australian school calendar, saying, 'Here in Australia, look at this – there are 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day, seven days in a week, 14 days in a fortnight, and 12 months in a year.'

'Fortnight? Has anyone else ever heard of this word? What is this, Harry Potter?' he asked in disbelief.

Josiah was even more surprised when he realised that 'fortnight' was actually a word used by Anglo-Saxons to measure the length of time between a new moon and a full moon, as well as a term that was commonly used in North America and Canada until the 1880s.

View attachment 35010
Josiah Hein, from Canada, was shocked to come across the word 'fortnight' in an Australian calendar. Image: TikTok / @josiahhein

Despite Josiah’s confusion, it is quite common for Australians to say 'you’re right'.

Travelling through the diverse landscapes of Australia also comes with a captivating journey through its regional dialects and expressions. As Josiah explored more of Australia, in the city, the bush, and along the coast, he realised that there were more variations and idiosyncratic expressions to learn.

Not only do regions vary in their expressions, but their accents differ significantly too. Adelaide, known for its genteel culture and fine wines, holds a slight British influence in its accents, with a pronunciation more refined and enunciated than in, say, the broad and distinctive twang of Perth.

These nuances in language make it clear that Australia is not just a land of 'you're right' and 'fortnight'. From its bustling cities to its serene countryside, each Australian region has its unique linguistic colour, mirroring its diverse lifestyle and heritage. For travellers like Josiah, this provides an enriching and humorous dimension to their Aussie adventure. As he admitted, 'It’s more than just seeing the sights. Truly understanding and immersing yourself in a place’s culture comes right down to the language you speak - it’s a part of the total Aussie experience I wouldn’t trade for the world.'

Key Takeaways

• Josiah Hein, from Canada, is enamoured by the unique Australian phrase 'you're right,' commonly used instead of 'you're okay' or 'you're good.'
  • Hein was surprised by the casual and laid-back usage of the term. He believes it encapsulates the Aussie swag and greatly differs from response phrases in Canada or America.
  • He was also stunned to find the word 'fortnight' used in Australian calendars, a term he associated only with Harry Potter.
  • Many Australians online were surprised that the rest of the world did not use 'fortnight' to denote two weeks, an Australian practice derived from the Anglo-Saxons using fortnights to measure the length of time between a new moon and a full moon.

From 'you're right' to 'fortnight,' Josiah's vocabulary has certainly expanded during his Aussie adventure. 'I love discovering these quirky cultural differences,' he said. 'It makes travel so enriching.' Though he's headed to New Zealand next, Josiah hopes a little bit of Australia's humour and charm will stay with him forever.

Have you come across any other unusual phrases or customs in your travels? Let us know in the comments below!

I grew up in New Zealand where the word "Fortnight" is in daily use.

I had a youngster laugh in my face when I used the term OKI DOKI, and she is an Aussie.
I realised I was getting on in years when greeted with a blank expression after I said John, Paul, George & Ringo instead of The Beatles.
Not only are visitors to Oz confused, sometimes the younger generation can be at a loss.
Can't escape it, no matter how hard I try.
Speaking for myself, if I was visiting a foreign land, I would do my best to immerse myself in local customs, traditions and quirks., otherwise, might as well stay home.

View attachment 35010

Key Takeaways

Stone the Crows, A.
Gallar, How Ya Goin, True Blue, Garrn, Good On,Ya!!
Another clean shirt will see me out,

There are probably thousands of sayings
across the board.

Sheelbe right mate., Onya, a Sheila, Shees a Looker ain't she, ya don't
have to be good looking,but it sure helps, l'm Crook, Bonza,
That's a start.

Stone the Crows, A.

across the board.

That's a start.

View attachment 35010

Key Takeaways

14 days in a fortnight, 7 days in week, 52 weeks in a year and 12 months in a year.... the math does work out in this scenario now does it... thank goodness the pension comes fortnightly or every 28 days and not monthly....

My guess is every country is the same, sayings only they use, different accents on the language in different areas of the country. Don’t think it is any big deal, most people just adjust to the area they are in, don’t feel the need to plaster it all over social media.

I thought my step father was joking when he said people in WA spoke another language and never thought of me having an accent. My sons were told at school they had a funny accent and some of their words were weird. My sons up to then had been brought up in Northern QLD. I know I noticed a difference when I went from NSW to QLD in words. It can be annoying at times with different words being used for the same things. One of my son's teachers said she understood him as she had spent time in QLD. As if the states in Australia are different languages.

Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
I had a busy week last week and was very tired at the end,,I said to my husband who has always lived in the same state as I have ,"that I nearly busted my boiler",,he looked at me and said "what",,,apparently he had never heard of it,,,,,,,,my daughter was at work one day when one of her colleagues passed wind,,she said to them "did you just cough in your rompers,,,everyone just burst out laughing as they had never heard of the expression ,,she learnt it from me plus many more,,I love them

View attachment 35010

Key Takeaways

I'd have thought "She's right, mate" is the most common varient.

Not sure why that Canadian guy was so surprised and carried on like a pork chop, by some of the phases used here. Maybe it’s his first time out of North America, but it gives the impression that Canadians are dim wits. When I first arrived in WA from Canada in Dec 1974 with my sandgroper husband and 12 month old son, it wasn‘t as much surprising as it was entertaining. But I didn’t find it highly unusual.

View attachment 35010

Key Takeaways

Wherever Mother England has raised Her Glorious Union Jack to build the World's Greatest and Most Noble Empire to bring Enlightenment to the Ignorant Foreigner and Lesser Mortal, the world "Fortnight" has had currency to describe that 14-day period. I recall that Canada was once a Shining Star in the Imperium and thus I am surprised that a Canadian should have forgotten his Mother Country's Glorious Past and its use of the English Language.

I suppose that Canada is possibly too close to the intransigently rebellious USA...........But she'll be roight, mate.

I thought my step father was joking when he said people in WA spoke another language and never thought of me having an accent. My sons were told at school they had a funny accent and some of their words were weird. My sons up to then had been brought up in Northern QLD. I know I noticed a difference when I went from NSW to QLD in words. It can be annoying at times with different words being used for the same things. One of my son's teachers said she understood him as she had spent time in QLD. As if the states in Australia are different languages.
Eh? accents in 'straya? Try the UK. I once had a conversation with a bloke 60 miles from where I used to live and I may have undertood one word in three. Accents and vernacular change from ancient village to ancient village, now forming suburbs in the urban sprawl that constitutes the larger cities.

Accents do vary between states in Australia.
I'm from WA; basically Perth.
Back in the late 1960s a mate and I travelled "east"
The road was just dirt, gravel and potholes.
We came across a car a 100m off the road. No bodies.
Filling up with petrol not long after we were informed of a westbound traveller who on refuelling was complaining about having to drop his speed to 50mph. The description fitted the car we had seen.
At the time, on good stretches of road, we were getting UP to 30mph maximum.

In Melbourne we went into a hotel bar and found ourselves surrounded by youngsters. The drinking age in Victoria was 18 plus and of course the underage children who snuck in. WA age for drinking was 21 and policed quite strongly.

We asked for and were served a beer each. In WA beers were filled to the top. In Victoria (we later found out) it was standard practice to leave a 1/2 inch or thereabouts of froth. Drew a blank look when we suggested to the barman that "the tide was out". Had to explain and a quiet detailed discussion followed. we got a full measure.

The thing we did notice was that the accents of the Victorians were different. A day or two later the difference was not noticeable to us. We adjusted.

Stone the Crows, A.

across the board.

That's a start.
Bob's ya Uncle, where did that one come from ??

With all the old sayings, I think a lot of
them probably came from the Convicts who were from England, Ireland,and Wales maybe even a few Scott's
In my lineage my Grandparents were Irish way back in the day..We always said
that we were from Ireland and came in chains.
Definition of Irishmen They were very funny, they had a crazy sense of humour,
They would prefer a fight over a "feed".
They were as crazy as a cut snake ? I don't quite know what that means. They were extraordinary in many ways, rough and
tough, protecting their own people.
Sometimes a bit wacky, and misunderstood by people who weren't Irish. Of course their English cousins
contributed a lot of their own sayings.
So all in all, I think a lot of them came on the First Fleet.
In my opinion they were lucky that any
of them survived at all.