'A big win for disability representation': Kmart launches new ‘Guide Dog handler’ dolls in their inclusion dolls range

'A big win for disability representation': Kmart launches new ‘Guide Dog handler’ dolls in their inclusion dolls range
Kmart has announced the addition of new dolls in their inclusion dolls collection.

The retail chain will make Guide Dog handler dolls (and their dogs) Luke and Lacey available in their inclusion dolls range, which also includes dolls that represent children who use wheelchairs, are vision impaired, and those who are on crutches.

4pwHvU8De2u8aPVEOIwWEUuDjATpwV2qt1hIiy1BXtY3aqVI0qvuld3NJfjZH6acmbV5bcG5Nx2RrGKDHDCgut5Uxe_WmB3RIbMm8D_0bob_8u5qEhWwJjPynBZx5yO8s-8xrNI

Kmart launched ‘Guide Dog handler’ dolls as part of their inclusion dolls collection. Credit: YouTube.

The dolls retail for just $5 each.

Kmart worked closely with Guide Dogs Australia for designing the dolls which feature a person with low vision or blindness.

The dolls aim to promote inclusion and accessibility of inclusive dolls to children with disabilities and families.

Kmart Diversity and Inclusion Head Marcelle Harrison, told news.com.au: “We know one in five people in Australia have a disability and we want our product ranges to reflect that."

“To truly represent the communities we operate in. Part of that means creating dolls that reflect the people who shop in our stores; the people who are part of everyday Australia.”

Ms Harrison also said that their close collaboration and good working relationship with Guide Dogs Australia ensured that the dolls “accurately reflect people with low vision or blindness”.

She said: “It’s the same practice we undertake with all our inclusive doll ranges."

“At the end of the day, we want children to see themselves represented in our product ranges, so we can reduce the stigma associated with disability.”

TVzKmP4Cz1r3cnIB9p3yudGoewvIu9DonxH6DNraaBZG2rfBd9ZcQ2G20C-5Bb4tKBktpjFrDzLhZ-HHtn4AjmFNNPSVhfi2imrroSAWoBwY6082hy3VUxOrWeOtxwhwjoMMg14
jiB2DoYueGGKTum_Nj7YdtaOfCBSlZSzb2ahzkmHfWj8Gjan_ehwEaKecrICftNmi-crsn_rr7Mpy7e0f-qYE0XIYEVJRY177LM0V9Le-J_kQXPj2I92-ofQb-43E6ErMmnaKyE

Kmart collaborated with Guide Dogs Australia to ensure that the dolls “accurately reflect people with low vision or blindness”. Credit: Kmart.

Kmart CEO John Gualtieri stressed that although the range's aim is to make inclusive dolls accessible to children with disabilities and families, the dolls are for all children.

Kmart CEO John Gualtieri said the inclusive dolls are not just for children with a disability and their families, but for all children.

“It can help form a positive self-image, it can teach acceptance, and it can help children learn more about people different from themselves,” Mr Gualtieri said.

Ms Harrison confirmed that the retailer has been "overwhelmed" with the response from customers.

Last year, Kmart also launched a pair of Down syndrome dolls which was met with great praises from its customers, calling the launch a 'big win for disability representation'.

zYvvJKYJ5vBG0bPMq7wzha3BcFOLSIoV7zJ9_feN9jX2XC77pt17698H9fkLicxLx3oKSbwipJi1A7I0JCTmb6sry82guxYMF2bH_urg_WPR0XwOnTIYw7B461msrAF0SCF0Kqo

Praises over Kmart’s Baby Charlie with Down syndrome dolls have been all over social media since the launch of the dolls last year. Credit: Kmart.

The dolls – named Baby Charlie with Down syndrome – were welcomed by Down syndrome Australia (DSA).

DSA said: “They reached out to DSA early in the process to consult with us about their ideas, and we’re happy to see dolls with Down syndrome in their new line of inclusive toys."

Parents sang their praises on social media, with a number commending the retailer for making the inclusive dolls accessible to children with the condition, saying that kids can finally have a doll they can relate to.

One mum wrote on Facebook: “My 7-year-old daughter Georgia has Cerebral Palsy and Autism, my mother came across these amazing dolls in Kmart, my daughter absolutely loves them. I think it is such a beautiful idea that the company has come up with these beautiful Dolls with Down syndrome."

“I think it’s a great start on inclusion … I will be buying some to donate to his school,” another mum wrote.

What do you think of these inclusive dolls? Do you think they can be great gifts to your grandkids this Christmas? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
These are beautiful. Every single child deserves to feel represented. Of all the things progression has brought to the world, this might be one of my favourite.