$99.99 Cotton On dress causes stir: ‘Inflation is real’

Cotton On has long been a haven for affordable fashion, and some parents and seniors may even get a shirt or two for their children or grandchildren.

Founded in 1991, the Australian retailer rose to success thanks to on-trend styles at reasonable price points between $30 to $50.

However, the well-loved retailer caused a stir online for a price of the dress that seemed too much for everyday Aussies.

In a video online, one young adult shared her surprise on social media.

‘So I got a message from someone who said it’s getting harder and harder to shop on a budget. Do you agree?’ she asked in the caption.

‘Would you spend $100 on this Cotton On dress?’

She can be seen sporting a dark brown midi dress in a store fitting room, holding her camera aloft, trying to give viewers a better look at the $99.99 Ella Embroidered Midi Dress.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 5.22.31 PM.png
A young shopper took to social media about Cotton On’s $99.99 maxi dress. Credit: TikTok

‘I also got another message saying that prices are going up but quality is down. Oh my,’ she continued.

‘Anddddd another message saying that they STOPPED buying from Cotton:On because the quality was radically reduced but prices sky rocketed. Is this so! Soon we will be dressing in air and sunlight…’

‘So here it is. First Target and now Cotton On… What’s going to be next!! Let’s have a friendly and open chat about it.’

The video gained more than 100,000 views. True enough, comments poured in, expressing shock that an item from affordable Cotton On would reach the $100 mark.

‘I’m sorry, but there’s not a single item in Cotton On worth a $100 price tag,’ one commented.

‘It looks nice, but it should be $60,’ another said.

Other shoppers shared that they’ve been shopping at Cotton On recently, only to return some items because of the expensive price tag.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 6.52.46 PM.png
Many users shared the shopper’s disbelief at finding a $99.99 price tag on a Cotton On dress. Source: TikTok/@shessoseasonal

‘Cotton On used to be affordable, but over the years, the prices have kept going up drastically,’ one customer said.

‘This is the dress I wanted, but I couldn’t justify the cost,’ another commented.

A user also said, ‘I thought they’d lost it when they started pricing clothes at $50. $100 is an absolute laugh.’

‘$100 for the is absolutely insane,’ claimed another user.

Other users said that while the dress looked cute, it still wasn’t worth the $100 price point. They suggested that if they were going to pay that price, might as well shop at a higher-end store, like Country Road.

As of writing, the Ella Embroidered Midi Dress is not available on Cotton On’s website. It’s worth noting, though, that there are other dresses sold around the same price range.

Cotton On has long been known for its attractive price points that appeal to a wide range of shoppers. During weekends, it's a bustling hub with various customers, including younger Aussies who appreciate its affordability and the opportunity to explore the latest fashion trends without straining budgets.

The surge in rental costs, coupled with the wage growth at 3.6 per cent, and the general cost of living crisis have made it a practical choice within their budget.

Key Takeaways

• A young adult discovered a $99.99 dress being sold at the Australian affordable fashion chain, Cotton On, and shared her surprise on social media.
  • The video sparked an online debate about affordable fashion and the rise in prices.
  • The post received over 100,000 views and prompted comments from over 1,000 users, with many suggesting that Cotton On's items are not worth the $100 price tag.
  • Cotton On is traditionally known to offer on-trend casual wear at affordable prices, making the $99 dress an unexpected shift in the company’s usual pricing.

But if you are an avid Cotton On shopper, you can take advantage of online discounts while shopping in-store! A mum revealed a policy where Cotton On can ‘price match’ the items they found on sale on their website to the items available in-store. You can the story here to know more.

What do you think of this story? Do you know someone who loves shopping at Cotton On? Let us know in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: Littleboy8 and BJM
Sponsored
No….Looks as though it is made from a very badly dyed piece of fabric, (more like a cheap bedsheet)

Last edited:
Cotton On has long been a haven for affordable fashion, and some parents and seniors may even get a shirt or two for their children or grandchildren.

Founded in 1991, the Australian retailer rose to success thanks to on-trend styles at reasonable price points between $30 to $50.

However, the well-loved retailer caused a stir online for a price of the dress that seemed too much for everyday Aussies.

In a video online, one young adult shared her surprise on social media.

‘So I got a message from someone who said it’s getting harder and harder to shop on a budget. Do you agree?’ she asked in the caption.

‘Would you spend $100 on this Cotton On dress?’

She can be seen sporting a dark brown midi dress in a store fitting room, holding her camera aloft, trying to give viewers a better look at the $99.99 Ella Embroidered Midi Dress.

View attachment 33632
A young shopper took to social media about Cotton On’s $99.99 maxi dress. Credit: TikTok

‘I also got another message saying that prices are going up but quality is down. Oh my,’ she continued.

‘Anddddd another message saying that they STOPPED buying from Cotton:On because the quality was radically reduced but prices sky rocketed. Is this so! Soon we will be dressing in air and sunlight…’

‘So here it is. First Target and now Cotton On… What’s going to be next!! Let’s have a friendly and open chat about it.’

The video gained more than 100,000 views. True enough, comments poured in, expressing shock that an item from affordable Cotton On would reach the $100 mark.

‘I’m sorry, but there’s not a single item in Cotton On worth a $100 price tag,’ one commented.

‘It looks nice, but it should be $60,’ another said.

Other shoppers shared that they’ve been shopping at Cotton On recently, only to return some items because of the expensive price tag.

View attachment 33633
Many users shared the shopper’s disbelief at finding a $99.99 price tag on a Cotton On dress. Source: TikTok/@shessoseasonal

‘Cotton On used to be affordable, but over the years, the prices have kept going up drastically,’ one customer said.

‘This is the dress I wanted, but I couldn’t justify the cost,’ another commented.

A user also said, ‘I thought they’d lost it when they started pricing clothes at $50. $100 is an absolute laugh.’

‘$100 for the is absolutely insane,’ claimed another user.

Other users said that while the dress looked cute, it still wasn’t worth the $100 price point. They suggested that if they were going to pay that price, might as well shop at a higher-end store, like Country Road.

As of writing, the Ella Embroidered Midi Dress is not available on Cotton On’s website. It’s worth noting, though, that there are other dresses sold around the same price range.

Cotton On has long been known for its attractive price points that appeal to a wide range of shoppers. During weekends, it's a bustling hub with various customers, including younger Aussies who appreciate its affordability and the opportunity to explore the latest fashion trends without straining budgets.

The surge in rental costs, coupled with the wage growth at 3.6 per cent, and the general cost of living crisis have made it a practical choice within their budget.

Key Takeaways

• A young adult discovered a $99.99 dress being sold at the Australian affordable fashion chain, Cotton On, and shared her surprise on social media.
  • The video sparked an online debate about affordable fashion and the rise in prices.
  • The post received over 100,000 views and prompted comments from over 1,000 users, with many suggesting that Cotton On's items are not worth the $100 price tag.
  • Cotton On is traditionally known to offer on-trend casual wear at affordable prices, making the $99 dress an unexpected shift in the company’s usual pricing.

But if you are an avid Cotton On shopper, you can take advantage of online discounts while shopping in-store! A mum revealed a policy where Cotton On can ‘price match’ the items they found on sale on their website to the items available in-store. You can the story here to know more.

What do you think of this story? Do you know someone who loves shopping at Cotton On? Let us know in the comments below!

Nope it’s horrible🙀cheap looking and yuk colour.