95-Year-Old Reveals Astonishing Secrets to a Long Life – Find Out What You're Missing!

As we all strive to add more candles to our birthday cakes, the quest for the elixir of longevity continues. But what if the secrets to a long life aren't shrouded in mystery but are instead habits and choices within our reach? This is the tantalizing possibility suggested by the life and insights of 95-year-old Sally Froelich, a remarkable SuperAger who has shared her journey and the habits that she believes have contributed to her long and fulfilling life.

Sally's story is not just anecdotal; it's part of a broader scientific inquiry spearheaded by the American Federation for Aging Research. Their SuperAgers Family Study is delving into the lives of individuals like Sally, who have reached the age of 95 and beyond while maintaining good physical and mental health. The study is ambitious, aiming to recruit 10,000 SuperAgers and their adult children, as well as the children's spouses who do not have SuperAger parents, to uncover the genetic and lifestyle factors that contribute to exceptional longevity.

The study's director, Dr. Sofiya Milman, is on a mission to understand the biology that underpins a long and healthy life. By identifying specific genes that contribute to longevity, the hope is to develop treatments that can replicate the effects of these genes, offering the rest of us a chance at a longer lifespan.

compressed-shutterstock_1775753030.jpeg
The American Federation for Aging Research study aims to understand the factors behind living to 95 and beyond, recruiting SuperAgers and their adult children. Credit: Shutterstock

Interestingly, Dr. Milman's research suggests that genetics may play a more significant role in becoming a SuperAger than lifestyle. However, for the vast majority of us who may not have won the genetic lottery, adopting healthy lifestyle habits can still make a significant difference in staving off age-related diseases.

So, what can we learn from Sally Froelich's example? Here are some of the practices she swears by:

1. Eat a Balanced Diet: Sally emphasizes the importance of regular, well-portioned meals without overeating. Nutrition is key to maintaining health and vitality.
  2. Avoid Smoking and Excessive Drinking: The risks associated with smoking and heavy alcohol consumption are well-documented, and Sally has steered clear of these habits.
  3. Maintain a Healthy Weight: While acknowledging the natural changes that come with age, Sally has kept her weight consistent for 50 years, a testament to her balanced approach to diet and exercise.
  4. Exercise Regularly: An active lifestyle has been a staple for Sally, who continues to golf several times a week and incorporates stretching and strength exercises into her daily routine.
  5. Use Your Brain: Mental stimulation is just as important as physical activity. Sally plays bridge, listens to audiobooks, and engages with television programs to keep her mind sharp.
  6. Stay Socially Connected: Loneliness can be as detrimental to health as chronic illness. Sally makes a point of regularly connecting with friends, family, and her community.
  7. Find Joy: Sally believes in doing what makes her happy, whether that's enjoying a scoop of ice cream or savoring delicious chocolate.
  8. Take Care of Yourself: Personal grooming and self-care are not just about looking good; they're about feeling good and respecting oneself.
  9. Embrace Aging: Sally's positive outlook on aging is a reminder that our attitudes can shape our experiences.

While not everyone will become a SuperAger, Dr. Milman emphasizes that aging doesn't have to be synonymous with disease and disability. The research into SuperAgers like Sally Froelich gives us hope that we can all find ways to live longer, healthier lives.

If you're intrigued by the possibility of joining the ranks of SuperAgers, or if you're simply curious about the study, you can visit the American Federation for Aging Research's website to learn more about the SuperAgers Family Study and how to enroll.
Key Takeaways

• A study by the American Federation for Aging Research focuses on understanding the factors that contribute to people living to 95 and beyond, recruiting SuperAgers and their adult children to participate.
  • Sally Froelich, a 95-year-old woman, shares her lifestyle habits that may contribute to her status as a SuperAger, including a balanced diet, regular exercise, and maintaining social connections.
  • Genetics are highlighted as playing a significant role in longevity, with SuperAgers often possessing genes that allow them to stay disease-free as they age, and lifestyle habits being important for the rest of the population in staving off age-related diseases.
  • The SuperAgers Family Study aims to identify genes related to longevity, with the hope of developing treatments that can help others live longer, healthier lives even if they do not inherit these advantageous genes.
Now, dear readers, we'd love to hear from you. What are your thoughts on the secrets to a long life? Do you have any habits or philosophies that you believe contribute to your health and longevity? Share your insights and join the conversation in the comments below!

Sponsored
Well I had several grandparents, great grandparents, and a couple of uncles who lived well into their 90s, they were some of the lucky ones who missed getting the cancer genes we carry. So who knows how old I will live to. I already consider myself lucky as I have outlived my parents, sister, brother, grandmother and several aunties, cousins, most of whom succumbed to cancer In one form or another. I count every new day as a blessing.

1 to 9, like we have not heard of that? I am over this crap about living. it is over to us. I am 85 with lymphoma blood, a 2nd go, a type 1 diabetic, heart problems, and that is not all of it. I do the best i can and i do not give up any of what i want. please just shove off. we have to take what comes. how about the poor sods who get killed early in life, how about young ones who die of cancer?

Well I had several grandparents, great grandparents, and a couple of uncles who lived well into their 90s, they were some of the lucky ones who missed getting the cancer genes we carry. So who knows how old I will live to. I already consider myself lucky as I have outlived my parents, sister, brother, grandmother and several aunties, cousins, most of whom succumbed to cancer In one form or another. I count every new day as a blessing.
keep going;)

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
1 to 9, like we have not heard of that? I am over this crap about living. it is over to us. I am 85 with lymphoma blood, a 2nd go, a type 1 diabetic, heart problems, and that is not all of it. I do the best i can and i do not give up any of what i want. please just shove off. we have to take what comes. how about the poor sods who get killed early in life, how about young ones who die of cancer?
Please try to take care 🌺 :)

Our lives have already been written in ‘that big book up there’. We are expected to do the best we can for ourselves and others and none of us can decide when or how we will ‘go’. Just try your best everyone for yourself and for others throughout life and you might be granted some joy. No one is immune to disease, sickness or adversaries and it is not up to us to determine and decide when we go.

Reactions: Jo Piper3
Some have it easy and some don’t but that is our test in this world. I hope you will continue to enjoy life to your best and stay positive. God bless.

Look for little joys in life. We all have worries, and not all of us might be the weight we should be, some peoples life choices may not be perfect, a little exercise whatever you enjoy, try to surround yourself with the people you love and who love and respect you. Try not to be judgementle, take the time out when you need it. Just look for the smallest joys in life not any thing to big. One day at a time or even one minute at a time. Embrace the the changes in your body we can't stop the ageing process, even if you're body won't do what your brain tells it just work around. Embrace the wisdom that comes with age. Try enjoy every day with what ever makes you happy and for filled.
Who knows how how long we have just enjoy each day.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Look for little joys in life. We all have worries, and not all of us might be the weight we should be, some peoples life choices may not be perfect, a little exercise whatever you enjoy, try to surround yourself with the people you love and who love and respect you. Try not to be judgementle, take the time out when you need it. Just look for the smallest joys in life not any thing to big. One day at a time or even one minute at a time. Embrace the the changes in your body we can't stop the ageing process, even if you're body won't do what your brain tells it just work around. Embrace the wisdom that comes with age. Try enjoy every day with what ever makes you happy and for filled.
Who knows how how long we have just enjoy each day.
Kind regards to all Vicki
My sentiments exactly - and it’s all written in that big book up there. What trials and tribulations might befall us, what good we get, we have, and we give, are all pre-determined. We cannot change anything, we cannot go back and re-do things. So live as best we can, give to one another and do good for others is how to live our lives. Everyone has a ‘time-limit’ on earth.

My sentiments exactly - and it’s all written in that big book up there. What trials and tribulations might befall us, what good we get, we have, and we give, are all pre-determined. We cannot change anything, we cannot go back and re-do things. So live as best we can, give to one another and do good for others is how to live our lives. Everyone has a ‘time-limit’ on earth.
Beautifully said could not agree more.
Kind regards Vicki

My father died in his fifties. He was a heavy alcohol user. I have already outlived him by 20 bright years. He missed so much that I have been privileged to experience.

• Love
Reactions: Jo Piper3
My father died in his fifties. He was a heavy alcohol user. I have already outlived him by 20 bright years. He missed so much that I have been privileged to experience.
Sadly addictions can shorten lives. Keep on experiencing all the wonderful moments in life.
Kind regards Vicki