90-year-old widow scammed out of $100,000: Is your bank doing enough to protect you?

In recent years, there has been a rise in scams targeting unsuspecting Australians.

Scammers are devising new ways to access personal information, including banking details,.

Among those targeted are seniors and Australians who require extra care and rely on caregivers or family members to access their financial information.

A recent post on Reddit shed light to the unfortunate incident of a 90-year-old widow living in a retirement complex in Sydney who was scammed out of $100,000.

The user who shared the post expressed concern about the lack of security measures the bank and the retirement complex took to protect her from such scams.

1682581562929.png
Scammers are evolving their ways to scam people but are banks doing enough to safeguard their customers from cyber-attacks? Credit: Shutterstock.

According to the Reddit user, the scammers bullied the older woman into making the transaction.

The post read: ‘Despite all of the attention to cybersecurity in the media lately, her bank never once raised an alert during the transaction.’

This raises concerns about the effectiveness of banks' security measures and the need for improved systems to recognise suspicious transactions.

The Reddit user advised their sister to take immediate preventative action, suggesting the use of a Telstra Call Guardian 301 handset to filter all calls and adding the sister's husband to the mother's bank account as a co-signatory.

However, the user also emphasised the importance of preventative measures at a corporate level.

‘Please take this as a reminder to protect your elderly relatives against scammers before they [scammers] call,’ the post concluded.

It is essential to take proactive steps to protect ourselves and our loved ones from these types of fraudulent activities.

The issue of bank fraud and scams is a growing problem that affects people from all walks of life.

Unfortunately, seniors are particularly vulnerable to these types of crimes and are increasingly targeted.

One comment on the Reddit post highlighted many people's frustration about how banks prioritise certain transactions over others.

The comment read: ‘How is it that seniors can get scammed out of $100,000 and the bank doesn't notice, but when I buy a $30 game from Steam, the bank holds the sale because it's an international transaction and therefore “sketchy”?’

While it may seem like banks are not doing enough to protect their customers from fraud, the reality is more complex.

Another comment from someone who has worked in the industry sheds some light on this issue: ‘The biggest issue is privacy.’

‘They can not communicate with the other bank without involving the police and court orders. So the criminals can just move faster.’

Another factor that makes detecting fraud more challenging is the different types of transactions.

One user pointed out that card transactions have more information available to banks, such as merchant category code and location, which makes it easier to create rules to trigger checks.

On the other hand, direct entry transactions have fewer factors to consider, so it can be harder to detect fraudulent activity.

Despite the challenges banks face, they do have measures in place to prevent fraud.

One person shared that many banks require a second factor, such as a text message or call, for large transactions to new recipients.

Additionally, some banks, like CBA, will hold transfers to new recipients for 24 hours for fraud detection.

However, these measures may not be enough in cases where scammers have found ways to bypass them.

One user also shared a chilling experience about how they almost lost $200,000 from a scam.

They wrote: ‘They stole my phone number, after telco negligence, so that the password reset got sent to their phone instead of mine and voila - accessed my bank account, made a new account in a matter of minutes (with no withdrawal limit), transferred my money into that new account, and withdrew all my money in a matter of minutes.’

Key Takeaways
  • A 90-year-old widow living in a Sydney retirement complex was scammed out of $100,000, raising concerns over bank security measures and the need for improved systems to recognise suspicious transactions.
  • The Reddit post highlighted the importance of taking proactive steps to protect ourselves from financial scams and advocate for better security measures at a higher level.
  • While banks face challenges in detecting and preventing fraud without violating customers' privacy, they do have measures in place, such as requiring a second factor for large transactions to new recipients and holding transfers for fraud detection.
  • Education and awareness are vital for empowering seniors and others to protect themselves from scams and fraud and holding banks accountable for their role in preventing these crimes.

Bank fraud and scams are a serious problem that affects many people. While banks have measures in place to prevent fraud, they face challenges in detecting and preventing it.

Education and awareness are essential tools for protecting ourselves and our loved ones from these types of crimes.

We must also continue to advocate for better security measures and hold banks accountable for their role in preventing fraud.

Stay safe out there, folks! Please share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can stay informed about this new scheme.

Reactions: Kathie
Sponsored
In recent years, there has been a rise in scams targeting unsuspecting Australians.

Scammers are devising new ways to access personal information, including banking details,.

Among those targeted are seniors and Australians who require extra care and rely on caregivers or family members to access their financial information.

A recent post on Reddit shed light to the unfortunate incident of a 90-year-old widow living in a retirement complex in Sydney who was scammed out of $100,000.

The user who shared the post expressed concern about the lack of security measures the bank and the retirement complex took to protect her from such scams.

View attachment 18475
Scammers are evolving their ways to scam people but are banks doing enough to safeguard their customers from cyber-attacks? Credit: Shutterstock.

According to the Reddit user, the scammers bullied the older woman into making the transaction.

The post read: ‘Despite all of the attention to cybersecurity in the media lately, her bank never once raised an alert during the transaction.’

This raises concerns about the effectiveness of banks' security measures and the need for improved systems to recognise suspicious transactions.

The Reddit user advised their sister to take immediate preventative action, suggesting the use of a Telstra Call Guardian 301 handset to filter all calls and adding the sister's husband to the mother's bank account as a co-signatory.

However, the user also emphasised the importance of preventative measures at a corporate level.

‘Please take this as a reminder to protect your elderly relatives against scammers before they [scammers] call,’ the post concluded.

It is essential to take proactive steps to protect ourselves and our loved ones from these types of fraudulent activities.

The issue of bank fraud and scams is a growing problem that affects people from all walks of life.

Unfortunately, seniors are particularly vulnerable to these types of crimes and are increasingly targeted.

One comment on the Reddit post highlighted many people's frustration about how banks prioritise certain transactions over others.

The comment read: ‘How is it that seniors can get scammed out of $100,000 and the bank doesn't notice, but when I buy a $30 game from Steam, the bank holds the sale because it's an international transaction and therefore “sketchy”?’

While it may seem like banks are not doing enough to protect their customers from fraud, the reality is more complex.

Another comment from someone who has worked in the industry sheds some light on this issue: ‘The biggest issue is privacy.’

‘They can not communicate with the other bank without involving the police and court orders. So the criminals can just move faster.’

Another factor that makes detecting fraud more challenging is the different types of transactions.

One user pointed out that card transactions have more information available to banks, such as merchant category code and location, which makes it easier to create rules to trigger checks.

On the other hand, direct entry transactions have fewer factors to consider, so it can be harder to detect fraudulent activity.

Despite the challenges banks face, they do have measures in place to prevent fraud.

One person shared that many banks require a second factor, such as a text message or call, for large transactions to new recipients.

Additionally, some banks, like CBA, will hold transfers to new recipients for 24 hours for fraud detection.

However, these measures may not be enough in cases where scammers have found ways to bypass them.

One user also shared a chilling experience about how they almost lost $200,000 from a scam.

They wrote: ‘They stole my phone number, after telco negligence, so that the password reset got sent to their phone instead of mine and voila - accessed my bank account, made a new account in a matter of minutes (with no withdrawal limit), transferred my money into that new account, and withdrew all my money in a matter of minutes.’

Key Takeaways

• A 90-year-old widow living in a Sydney retirement complex was scammed out of $100,000, raising concerns over bank security measures and the need for improved systems to recognise suspicious transactions.
  • The Reddit post highlighted the importance of taking proactive steps to protect ourselves from financial scams and advocate for better security measures at a higher level.
  • While banks face challenges in detecting and preventing fraud without violating customers' privacy, they do have measures in place, such as requiring a second factor for large transactions to new recipients and holding transfers for fraud detection.
  • Education and awareness are vital for empowering seniors and others to protect themselves from scams and fraud and holding banks accountable for their role in preventing these crimes.

Bank fraud and scams are a serious problem that affects many people. While banks have measures in place to prevent fraud, they face challenges in detecting and preventing it.

Education and awareness are essential tools for protecting ourselves and our loved ones from these types of crimes.

We must also continue to advocate for better security measures and hold banks accountable for their role in preventing fraud.

Stay safe out there, folks! Please share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can stay informed about this new scheme.
People’s get on YouTube and search
Sca mer pay back where thes certified group s go after the scammers thus wasting the scammers time for hours and educate people about hoe it is done and explain what to look for the warning signs they the scammers are very nasty malicious people you will learn what to look for and how they work unless you know the person do not get involved yes they will threaten you and scare if it happens ring your bank and family members I t would be benifical for senior discount club to reinforce this regularly so more are aware it kid really a eye opener and very bad be suspicious especially where foreign people are concerned being manly Indian , Pakistan but really anyone

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 18475

Key Takeaways

Banks are planning to abolish cheque books. Cheques are a very safe way of paying bills. If we have to pay a tradie through the internet how can we be sure that our credit card details etc rmain
Cheque stubs are a clear line of defence if accused of not paying a bill and link directly to one's monthly bank statement. They can be posted safely; or paid via Australia Post's billpay system. Paying by using modern techidiocy is merely making one's bank account more open to hackers and scammers.

Optutus and Medicare have been hacked. Security of the internet? You are joking!

Banks are planning to abolish cheque books. Cheques are a very safe way of paying bills. If we have to pay a tradie through the internet how can we be sure that our credit card details etc rmain
Cheque stubs are a clear line of defence if accused of not paying a bill and link directly to one's monthly bank statement. They can be posted safely; or paid via Australia Post's billpay system. Paying by using modern techidiocy is merely making one's bank account more open to hackers and scammers.

Optutus and Medicare have been hacked. Security of the internet? You are joking!
Nonsense!
I do all of my bill paying via transactions from my bank account. Whenever I make a payment to a new recipient (and with two investment properties, I do have a lot of tradies to pay via the internet, the bank sends a code to my mobile, which I have to insert into the transaction on my computer before it will be processed!

Cheques are an easy target! Back in the early 90s when I was married to a not so honest bloke, he used to write out cheques for himself. The bank didn't even check the signature on the cheques! We were not married for very long.

As someone who has been a victim of a scam that involved an extremely large amount $ within the past 18 months I am pointing my finger directly at the Banks and Institutions. The scam that caught me out had been doing the rounds for a month or 2 before I got caught. Although my due diligence wasn't thorough enough to detect it, the 3 Big Banks & 1 Institution involved would have found it if they had dedicated agency that deals with large deposits / transfers. And don't get me started on how poorly you are treated by ASIC, Victoria Police etc.

• Sad
Nonsense!
I do all of my bill paying via transactions from my bank account. Whenever I make a payment to a new recipient (and with two investment properties, I do have a lot of tradies to pay via the internet, the bank sends a code to my mobile, which I have to insert into the transaction on my computer before it will be processed!

Cheques are an easy target! Back in the early 90s when I was married to a not so honest bloke, he used to write out cheques for himself. The bank didn't even check the signature on the cheques! We were not married for very long.
Me too

‘How is it that seniors can get scammed out of $100,000 and the bank doesn't notice, but when I buy a $30 game from Steam, the bank holds the sale because it's an international transaction and therefore “sketchy”?’
This is actually a great point! It's proof that it can be done, so why isn't it being done (at least to a degree where many can be protected). The poor widow :(