90 per cent of shoppers have tightened their belts, according to a Coles survey–Are you one of them?

Have you ever felt like your grocery bills are spiralling out of control, and there’s no escape?

If your answer is yes, then you’re definitely not alone.

It’s no secret that the cost of living in Australia has reached a record high in recent years, making it more expensive than ever to eat healthily, and according to a recent survey of more than 4,000 Coles customers, an overwhelming 90 per cent of respondents said they had to make adjustments on their grocery shopping in an attempt to stretch their savings.

Moreover, single people and both young and mature couples are skipping the expensive meat and treats, opting for frozen food instead. They have also capitalised on loyalty cards to collect and use points in future shops and have turned to online ordering to stay within their budget.

photo (1).jpg
Young singles and both young and mature couples have made drastic changes to their grocery shopping habits in order to stretch their savings. Image source: tirachardz on Freepik.

Furthermore, 87 per cent of those surveyed said they’ve started budgeting more actively by buying more specials.

While more than half the customers reported they’ve started cooking more at home–in bulk and just freezing meals for later.

That’s why it was such a relief when Coles announced price cuts across hundreds of varieties of produce, which we wrote about in this article.

Coles is putting in place a price reduction to over 500 products sold in-store and online which will help customers save an average of 19.7 per cent on their weekly grocery shop!

‘This campaign is all about making it easier for our customers to find value across the store and online,’ CEO Leah Weckert said.

‘We know that the cost of living continues to be the number one concern for Australians right now, so we're making our biggest investment in value for at least three years.’

Shoppers are also encouraged to redeem their Flybuys points to avail of discounts on their shop. Moreover, spending more than $50 will grant customers free access to Click&Collect.

Other stores, such as Woolworths, have also jumped in and implemented their own price reductions.

‘We know people are looking at every way to save right now, and we're encouraging our customers to spend less with us,’ Woolworths Managing Director Natalie Davis said.

You can read more about Woolworths’ price reduction campaign here.

On the other hand, ALDI believes its business model can withstand inflation.

‘While other supermarkets may commit to price freezes or drops on select ranges of goods for a limited time, our whole range delivers meaningful savings everyday that Australians can rely on,’ an ALDI spokesperson said.

‘Further, our Price Promise means that we will not be beaten on the cost of your weekly shop,’ the spokesperson added.

If all these have got you feeling like you want to join in and make the most of the price cuts, here’s what you can expect at Coles:

Mince, along with more than 25 other varieties of beef, pork, and lamb, will be getting a reduction. For example, a packet of 1kg three-star regular mince will be reduced to $11 from its $13 retail price earlier this year.

But it doesn’t just stop there–frozen meals, juice, biscuits, tuna, pet goods, cleaning, and household products are also getting significant discounts!

Find out more about Coles’s 'Great Value, Hands Down' campaign on their website.
Key Takeaways
  • A recent survey from Coles supermarket revealed that 90 per cent of their 4000 surveyed customers claimed to have adjusted their spending habits in response to the rising cost of living.
  • Young singles and both young and mature couples have specifically reduced their meat and treat consumption, favouring frozen food and online shopping to manage their budgets and accruing loyalty points for future shopping.
  • In response to these findings, Coles has launched a new campaign that will see a reduction in prices for over 500 in-store and online products for a period of at least three months. The average savings on a basket of groceries is estimated to be around 19.7 per cent.
  • Customers will also be encouraged to use their Flybuys points to reduce their spending in future shops and will have access to free click-and-collect services when they spend over $50.
Will you be taking advantage of these price reductions? Do you have budgeting tips you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Have you ever felt like your grocery bills are spiralling out of control, and there’s no escape?

It’s no secret that the cost of living in Australia has reached a record high in recent years, making it more expensive than ever to eat healthily, and according to a recent survey of more than 4,000 Coles customers, an overwhelming 90 per cent of respondents said they had to make adjustments on their grocery shopping in an attempt to stretch their savings.

Moreover, single people and both young and mature couples are skipping the expensive meat and treats, opting for frozen food instead. They have also capitalised on loyalty cards to collect and use points in future shops and have turned to online ordering to stay within their budget.

View attachment 28623
Young singles and both young and mature couples have made drastic changes to their grocery shopping habits in order to stretch their savings. Image source: tirachardz on Freepik.

Furthermore, 87 per cent of those surveyed said they’ve started budgeting more actively by buying more specials.

While more than half the customers reported they’ve started cooking more at home–in bulk and just freezing meals for later.

That’s why it was such a relief when Coles announced price cuts across hundreds of varieties of produce, which we wrote about in this article.

Coles is putting in place a price reduction to over 500 products sold in-store and online which will help customers save an average of 19.7 per cent on their weekly grocery shop!

‘This campaign is all about making it easier for our customers to find value across the store and online,’ CEO Leah Weckert said.

‘We know that the cost of living continues to be the number one concern for Australians right now, so we're making our biggest investment in value for at least three years.’

Shoppers are also encouraged to redeem their Flybuys points to avail of discounts on their shop. Moreover, spending more than $50 will grant customers free access to Click&Collect.

Other stores, such as Woolworths, have also jumped in and implemented their own price reductions.

‘We know people are looking at every way to save right now, and we're encouraging our customers to spend less with us,’ Woolworths Managing Director Natalie Davis said.

‘While other supermarkets may commit to price freezes or drops on select ranges of goods for a limited time, our whole range delivers meaningful savings everyday that Australians can rely on,’ an ALDI spokesperson said.

‘Further, our Price Promise means that we will not be beaten on the cost of your weekly shop,’ the spokesperson added.

If all these have got you feeling like you want to join in and make the most of the price cuts, here’s what you can expect at Coles:

Mince, along with more than 25 other varieties of beef, pork, and lamb, will be getting a reduction. For example, a packet of 1kg three-star regular mince will be reduced to $11 from its $13 retail price earlier this year.

But it doesn’t just stop there–frozen meals, juice, biscuits, tuna, pet goods, cleaning, and household products are also getting significant discounts!

Find out more about Coles’s 'Great Value, Hands Down' campaign on their website.
Key Takeaways

• A recent survey from Coles supermarket revealed that 90 per cent of their 4000 surveyed customers claimed to have adjusted their spending habits in response to the rising cost of living.
  • Young singles and both young and mature couples have specifically reduced their meat and treat consumption, favouring frozen food and online shopping to manage their budgets and accruing loyalty points for future shopping.
  • In response to these findings, Coles has launched a new campaign that will see a reduction in prices for over 500 in-store and online products for a period of at least three months. The average savings on a basket of groceries is estimated to be around 19.7 per cent.
  • Customers will also be encouraged to use their Flybuys points to reduce their spending in future shops and will have access to free click-and-collect services when they spend over $50.
Will you be taking advantage of these price reductions? Do you have budgeting tips you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!

I am always looking for Specials now, before I would buy what I wanted, now I buy what I need. I am fortunate to have Coles, Woolworth's and Aldi in very close Range and usually Pass one of these shops each day in my normal travels. So, I do not make a special trip to buy Specials, that means a saving in Petrol costs. Aldi has got some great essential buys, so I buy 2 or 3 of each Item I need, so I do not have to make a special trip back as I never Run out.

ATM I am shopping for what we need not want, things like biscuits, icecream ect are now taken off my list.

I purchase sale items

I stock up on dish washing detergent, washing detergent ect when it's half price.

I also meal plan.

It's about time coles has lowered items but to be honest the could have, should have done it earlier

View attachment 28623

Key Takeaways

Woolies & Coles may be reducing prices but their half price options seem to be reducing each week. This was a big savings for me as I would stock up on half price items. Even rewards specials don't seem to be on items you would generally buy anymore. I am certainly buying less each week, or should I say...I am getting less with my budgeted dollars. A lot of the increased prices is hard to fathom. I would go as far to say I have cut my spend on groceries by almost 50% over each month.

I don't seem to have cut down on anything. I still buy what I want, but do buy half price items if it's what I need. Means I get 2 for 1.👍

And my shopping is normally split between Woolworths and Aldi.

Reactions: Babbie
As many half price items for me as I can get. Trouble is they are mostly confectionery, coffee/tea, vitamin products, toiletries, cosmetics and kiddies stuff which is no interest to me. Even then, they are fraught with "danger". Like $1.40 in house Chicken Kiev, dropped from $3.00 so less than 1/2 price. But two weeks ago, they were $2.80 each. A sly tactic by playing the special and subtly increase the price!

Reactions: Anoush

View attachment 28623

Key Takeaways

I have had to cut my grocery spend as well as cut my services to the bone and in some cases eliminate them to cope with the rental increase.. 21% increase in rent. I tried to get help from the landlord and tenants association but they are TOOTHLESS TIGERS.

@IAN3005 Hopefully some helpful advice for a fellow SDC member.

If you can handle legal speak, check out your state's Residential Tenancies Act for rent increase frequency and if there is a capped amount.

Check out Legal Aid in your state if you are eligible and hold a Centrelink Concession Card for aged pension, disability support or Jobseeker.

Find out the peak body for tenancy disputes including your state's Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Hope this gives you a start regarding your dilemma.

Reactions: IAN3005
I am always looking for Specials now, before I would buy what I wanted, now I buy what I need. I am fortunate to have Coles, Woolworth's and Aldi in very close Range and usually Pass one of these shops each day in my normal travels. So, I do not make a special trip to buy Specials, that means a saving in Petrol costs. Aldi has got some great essential buys, so I buy 2 or 3 of each Item I need, so I do not have to make a special trip back as I never Run out.
I do the same Pymmie. All three , Coles, Woollies and Aldi are very close to each other, where I shop. I drive past most days and find fruit, veggies and meat immensely reduced towards the end of the day, sometimes by as much as 80%. , especially woollies. I freeze what I can. Not keen on Aldi, don’t find them cheaper, but it certainly has made the other 2 stores very competitive 😊

As many half price items for me as I can get. Trouble is they are mostly confectionery, coffee/tea, vitamin products, toiletries, cosmetics and kiddies stuff which is no interest to me. Even then, they are fraught with "danger". Like $1.40 in house Chicken Kiev, dropped from $3.00 so less than 1/2 price. But two weeks ago, they were $2.80 each. A sly tactic by playing the special and subtly increase the price!

@IAN3005 Hopefully some helpful advice for a fellow SDC member.

If you can handle legal speak, check out your state's Residential Tenancies Act for rent increase frequency and if there is a capped amount.

Check out Legal Aid in your state if you are eligible and hold a Centrelink Concession Card for aged pension, disability support or Jobseeker.

Find out the peak body for tenancy disputes including your state's Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Hope this gives you a start regarding your dilemma.
They are a TOOTHLESS TIGER. I Have a pension card.

Reactions: Veggiepatch