80-year-old proves age is just a number after finishing 226km marathon!

At the Seniors Discount Club, we firmly believe life knows no bounds, regardless of age. Prepare to be inspired by the heart-warming story of George Hulse, an incredible 80-year-old individual who is achieving mind-blowing feats.

In a remarkable display of physical endurance, George completed the gruelling 226km Ironman Asia-Pacific event in Cairns, all in a single epic day.

Truly remarkable, isn't it? Just when you thought you had witnessed it all, this octogenarian Australian hero redefines what is achievable with unwavering determination and sheer grit.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 11.49.49 AM.png
George Hulse, an 80-year-old athlete, completed the gruelling 226km Ironman event in Cairns, marking the end of an epic 16-hour day. Credit: Instagram.

The Ironman event commenced with a demanding 3.9km swim, which George admirably completed in one hour, 30 minutes, and 44 seconds. Following a brief transition period of 16 minutes, he quickly geared up for the arduous 180km cycling journey to Port Douglas and back to Cairns, maintaining a steady pace throughout.

Impressively, George conquered this leg in an astonishing seven hours, 47 minutes, and nine seconds, pausing only for a brief 11-minute break before embarking on the final leg of this formidable challenge – the dreaded marathon.

But did George falter in the face of adversity? Absolutely not! With unwavering determination, he pushed through the night, putting forth his utmost effort and covering the daunting 42.2km distance in an impressive time of six hours, 38 minutes, and 49 seconds.

The resounding cheers and applause at the finish line were a testament to the awe and admiration that the crowd felt towards the octogenarian Ironman.

Meanwhile, earlier in the day, history was also being made by Ironman champions Kylie Simpson and Braden Currie, who both broke course records.

Australian triathlete Kylie Simpson claimed her second Ironman Asia-Pacific title and added to her impressive résumé, winning Ironman Australia last month in Port Macquarie. Simpson finished the event in eight hours, 40 minutes and 53 seconds, beating compatriot Radka Kahlefeldt by a mind-blowing 18 minutes.

Simpson recounted her overwhelming excitement, saying, 'I knew I was chipping into them. I didn't know I was on course for the record, so that's a little bonus.'

In the men's race, New Zealander Braden Currie recorded seven hours, 50 minutes and 11 seconds, taking two minutes off the course record set by Australian athlete Max Neumann last year.

Leading throughout the race, Currie finally powered through the marathon to finish 10 minutes ahead of Steve McKenna, with fellow Australian Tim Van Berkel about four minutes further back in fourth.

Key Takeaways

• 80-year-old George Hulse completed the 226km Ironman Asia-Pacific event in Cairns in 16 hours, 24 minutes, and 39 seconds.
  • Australian triathlete Kylie Simpson won the Ironman Asia-Pacific title for the second time, completing the event in 8 hours, 40 minutes, and 53 seconds, breaking the previous course record by eight minutes.
  • In the men’s race, New Zealander Braden Currie finished with 7 hours, 50 minutes, and 11 seconds, taking two minutes off the previous course record set by Australian Max Neumann.
  • The Ironman Asia-Pacific event consisted of a 3.8km swim, a 180km cycle, and a 42.2km run, with athletes from around the region competing for the title.

Let us take this story of triumph and dedication as a timeless reminder that age knows no bounds. George Hulse serves as living proof that even during the golden years, Australians can continue to defy limitations and attain greatness. His remarkable journey inspires us to maintain our well-being, stay active, and embrace new challenges.

Remember, there is no such thing as being too old to establish fresh objectives and strive for greatness. Keep forging ahead, everyone!

Now, what are your thoughts on this inspiring story? Did it ignite a fire within you to embrace challenges and strive for your own goals? Perhaps you, too, have recently accomplished something remarkable. Even if it may not be as grand as finishing a marathon, we encourage you to share your achievements in the comments below! We are eager to hear what our members take pride in these days.

Sponsored
I am in my 70s and suffer from Diabetes, Arthritis, and a few more bits and pieces but for the last couple of months I have been fortunate enough to be part of an NDIS program that gives access to a local gymnasium-type exercise program with a really great trainer and it has actually altered my whole outlook and weigh. I am feeling great I have lost 3 kg in 8 weeks. My positive outlook has caused me to make radical changes to my diet and I feel just great. My thanks go to NDIS and my trainer, Matt for this wonderful program. I'm not able to run any marathons (at this stage) but it does prove that you can improve your status quo at any age.