71-year-old pensioner faces eviction after landlord doubles rent on her home of 13 years: ‘I don't want to leave’

We've all heard about the cost of living crisis these days. Everything from groceries to housing keeps going up and up, making it difficult for many of us to make ends meet. But when we hear stories like this one, we can't help but feel for those who are struggling just to keep a roof over their heads.

Joan, a 71-year-old pensioner, sadly faces the prospect of eviction after her landlord doubled the rent for her rundown unit in Geelong, southwest of Melbourne.

This drastic increase has left Joan and her fellow pensioner neighbours feeling the pressure, as they now need to find an additional $177 per week, bringing their weekly rent up to $350.

Having lived in her humble abode for 13 years, Joan feels understandably heartbroken and worried. 'I wish it didn't come to this. I don't want to leave,' she said. Whilst the unit may not be particularly lavish, it has been her 'castle' for over a decade and holds significant sentimental value to her.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.13.26 AM.png
A pensioner faces homelessness after her landlord doubled the rent on her rundown unit where she has lived for 13 years. Credit: Unsplash/Tierra Mallorca.

What makes this situation even more distressing is the array of ongoing issues that the residents of the unit block have been forced to endure, such as the crumbling carpets, a leak in the garage, and a door that opens to a dangerously large drop onto concrete - all of which have remained unresolved by the landlord.

Yet, despite these maintenance issues, the landlord still saw fit to double the rent without any prior warning.

This unfortunate incident not only highlights the current cost-of-living crisis but also demonstrates that pensioners are particularly vulnerable to being pushed towards the poverty line. 'There's five of us that are on the pension; now that's five pensioners out on the breadline,' Joan lamented.

'We might be homeless because we simply can't afford it,' she added tearfully. Similarly, Robert, another tenant from the same unit block, commented on this excessive rent hike: 'It's impossible, I can't afford to pay this rent.'

The federal government announced a $14.6 billion cost-of-living package in its latest budget, aimed at helping vulnerable citizens cover their living expenses. This includes support for rent and bill relief, with up to $31 extra per fortnight available for renters and $500 allocated to assist with rising electricity costs for eligible households.

Starting in September, JobSeeker payments are set to rise by $40 per fortnight, providing an extra $2.86 per day to recipients.

Despite these measures, some Australians are struggling to make ends meet, and Joan is one such example. While the government's package is a welcome relief, it is not enough for her to maintain her independence.

'I'm going to live with my son temporarily until I can find somewhere else to live. I went this morning to government housing, and they said there's a waiting list because they're giving to homeless people first,' she said.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.13.19 AM.png
This situation highlights a cost-of-living crisis that is pushing pensioners towards the poverty line. Credit: Unsplash/Jon Tyson.

The need for affordable housing in Australia remains a pressing issue, with tens of thousands of people on waiting lists across the country.

In Victoria, the waitlist currently sits at 57,672, while in New South Wales, 57,550 individuals are seeking affordable housing. Queensland has 27,437 on the waitlist, while Tasmania has 4405, Western Australia has 19,081, the ACT has 3,151, and the Northern Territory has 5,053.

The problem is particularly severe for older women, who are among the fastest-growing groups of homeless people. According to Ian Henschke from National Seniors Australia, approximately 20% of Australians living in pension poverty are single, older women who are renting.

While the government has announced measures to provide rent assistance, including a recent increase in Commonwealth Rent Assistance, Henschke argues that these measures are only keeping pace with rising rents. Further action is needed to ensure that all Australians have access to safe, affordable housing.

Key Takeaways

• A 71-year-old pensioner faces possible homelessness after her landlord doubled the rent on the unit she had lived in for 13 years.
  • Joan and four other pensioners in the same block of apartments in Geelong, southwest of Melbourne, have seen their rent rise 100 per cent overnight.
  • Affordable housing remains a critical issue in Australia, with tens of thousands of individuals on waitlists across various states.

The issue of rent increases by unit owners has sparked discussions among social media users, with varying opinions expressed.

One user acknowledged that the tenant may have been fortunate to pay a lower rent initially but argued that rising costs of property maintenance necessitate passing on those expenses to tenants. 'Rental providers need to pass the costs, or there is no point owning an investment property,' they explained.

Another user expressed sympathy for the tenant's situation but acknowledged that property owners, whether private, relative, or government, will always make decisions based on economic factors.

However, some individuals came to the defence of tenants. One user advised taking the landlord to a tribunal, stating that a double rent increase would likely be viewed as excessive. They also shared a personal experience of challenging their own landlord in a tribunal and being successful, receiving compensation as a result.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.13.12 AM.png
Everyone deserves a roof over their head—no matter the cost of rent. Credit: Unsplash/Erik Mclean.

The social media comments reflect a range of perspectives on the issue, with some sympathising with landlords' need to cover costs while others advocate for tenants' rights and legal action to address unfair rent increases.

What are your thoughts on this issue? In your opinion, should there be regulations in place to limit the amount landlords can increase the rent? Why or why not?

Also, how do you think rising property maintenance costs should be addressed without burdening tenants with excessive rent increases? Feel free to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
We've all heard about the cost of living crisis these days. Everything from groceries to housing keeps going up and up, making it difficult for many of us to make ends meet. But when we hear stories like this one, we can't help but feel for those who are struggling just to keep a roof over their heads.

Joan, a 71-year-old pensioner, sadly faces the prospect of eviction after her landlord doubled the rent for her rundown unit in Geelong, southwest of Melbourne.

This drastic increase has left Joan and her fellow pensioner neighbours feeling the pressure, as they now need to find an additional $177 per week, bringing their weekly rent up to $350.

Having lived in her humble abode for 13 years, Joan feels understandably heartbroken and worried. 'I wish it didn't come to this. I don't want to leave,' she said. Whilst the unit may not be particularly lavish, it has been her 'castle' for over a decade and holds significant sentimental value to her.

View attachment 19672
A pensioner faces homelessness after her landlord doubled the rent on her rundown unit where she has lived for 13 years. Credit: Unsplash/Tierra Mallorca.

What makes this situation even more distressing is the array of ongoing issues that the residents of the unit block have been forced to endure, such as the crumbling carpets, a leak in the garage, and a door that opens to a dangerously large drop onto concrete - all of which have remained unresolved by the landlord.

Yet, despite these maintenance issues, the landlord still saw fit to double the rent without any prior warning.

This unfortunate incident not only highlights the current cost-of-living crisis but also demonstrates that pensioners are particularly vulnerable to being pushed towards the poverty line. 'There's five of us that are on the pension; now that's five pensioners out on the breadline,' Joan lamented.

'We might be homeless because we simply can't afford it,' she added tearfully. Similarly, Robert, another tenant from the same unit block, commented on this excessive rent hike: 'It's impossible, I can't afford to pay this rent.'

The federal government announced a $14.6 billion cost-of-living package in its latest budget, aimed at helping vulnerable citizens cover their living expenses. This includes support for rent and bill relief, with up to $31 extra per fortnight available for renters and $500 allocated to assist with rising electricity costs for eligible households.

Starting in September, JobSeeker payments are set to rise by $40 per fortnight, providing an extra $2.86 per day to recipients.

Despite these measures, some Australians are struggling to make ends meet, and Joan is one such example. While the government's package is a welcome relief, it is not enough for her to maintain her independence.

'I'm going to live with my son temporarily until I can find somewhere else to live. I went this morning to government housing, and they said there's a waiting list because they're giving to homeless people first,' she said.

View attachment 19669
This situation highlights a cost-of-living crisis that is pushing pensioners towards the poverty line. Credit: Unsplash/Jon Tyson.

The need for affordable housing in Australia remains a pressing issue, with tens of thousands of people on waiting lists across the country.

In Victoria, the waitlist currently sits at 57,672, while in New South Wales, 57,550 individuals are seeking affordable housing. Queensland has 27,437 on the waitlist, while Tasmania has 4405, Western Australia has 19,081, the ACT has 3,151, and the Northern Territory has 5,053.

The problem is particularly severe for older women, who are among the fastest-growing groups of homeless people. According to Ian Henschke from National Seniors Australia, approximately 20% of Australians living in pension poverty are single, older women who are renting.

While the government has announced measures to provide rent assistance, including a recent increase in Commonwealth Rent Assistance, Henschke argues that these measures are only keeping pace with rising rents. Further action is needed to ensure that all Australians have access to safe, affordable housing.

Key Takeaways

• A 71-year-old pensioner faces possible homelessness after her landlord doubled the rent on the unit she had lived in for 13 years.
  • Joan and four other pensioners in the same block of apartments in Geelong, southwest of Melbourne, have seen their rent rise 100 per cent overnight.
  • Affordable housing remains a critical issue in Australia, with tens of thousands of individuals on waitlists across various states.

The issue of rent increases by unit owners has sparked discussions among social media users, with varying opinions expressed.

One user acknowledged that the tenant may have been fortunate to pay a lower rent initially but argued that rising costs of property maintenance necessitate passing on those expenses to tenants. 'Rental providers need to pass the costs, or there is no point owning an investment property,' they explained.

Another user expressed sympathy for the tenant's situation but acknowledged that property owners, whether private, relative, or government, will always make decisions based on economic factors.

However, some individuals came to the defence of tenants. One user advised taking the landlord to a tribunal, stating that a double rent increase would likely be viewed as excessive. They also shared a personal experience of challenging their own landlord in a tribunal and being successful, receiving compensation as a result.

View attachment 19671
Everyone deserves a roof over their head—no matter the cost of rent. Credit: Unsplash/Erik Mclean.

The social media comments reflect a range of perspectives on the issue, with some sympathising with landlords' need to cover costs while others advocate for tenants' rights and legal action to address unfair rent increases.

What are your thoughts on this issue? In your opinion, should there be regulations in place to limit the amount landlords can increase the rent? Why or why not?

Also, how do you think rising property maintenance costs should be addressed without burdening tenants with excessive rent increases? Feel free to leave a comment below!
That's a money 💰 grabbing maggot 🤬 glad that there are good landlord's that appreciate good long lived tenant's that look after their property as if it was their own

Stories such as these really annoy me! This 71 year old has paid rent privately for 13 years. A significant rent rise puts her at risk of imminent homelessness. The response of the Housing Department….you are not eligible for Housing! My brother & his wife faced a similar scenario during COVID. My brother almost died following a respiratory arrest. 4 weeks in hospital saw them served with an eviction notice as the Landlord wanted to suddenly “renovate” after 13 years and significantly increase their rent. Outcome, Housing NSW used COVID as the reason no housing available & Department not working! In the end they offered my brother a choice, remove his name from the application & they would house his wife in supported accommodation! After 46 years together, what did they think he would do! Of course he wanted her housed! They gave him a list of nursing homes! However, I was not going to allow that. I negotiated a new lease agreement with my landlord and mtpy brother now lives with me. He is over 360 kms away from. His wife and we have managed one long weekend trip to see her. Now Labor is bringing in 1.5 m migrants? I am sure that many of them will have no trouble renting or buying all available housing. This is just revenue raising by Labor at the expensive of Australian nationals. Government does not care about our elderly!

Stories such as these really annoy me! This 71 year old has paid rent privately for 13 years. A significant rent rise puts her at risk of imminent homelessness. The response of the Housing Department….you are not eligible for Housing! My brother & his wife faced a similar scenario during COVID. My brother almost died following a respiratory arrest. 4 weeks in hospital saw them served with an eviction notice as the Landlord wanted to suddenly “renovate” after 13 years and significantly increase their rent. Outcome, Housing NSW used COVID as the reason no housing available & Department not working! In the end they offered my brother a choice, remove his name from the application & they would house his wife in supported accommodation! After 46 years together, what did they think he would do! Of course he wanted her housed! They gave him a list of nursing homes! However, I was not going to allow that. I negotiated a new lease agreement with my landlord and mtpy brother now lives with me. He is over 360 kms away from. His wife and we have managed one long weekend trip to see her. Now Labor is bringing in 1.5 m migrants? I am sure that many of them will have no trouble renting or buying all available housing. This is just revenue raising by Labor at the expensive of Australian nationals. Government does not care about our elderly!
None of the governments do. We have a 500 rooms unused building. “Too much to do up and then rent back from the federal government.”

I was under the impression that rents could only be raised by a maximum of 10% and only once every 6 months. That was always the case when I lived in private rentals.
Important lesson here: Always insist on a lease. Handshake agreements are worthless these days and I agree with a previous comment that this money grabbing landlord is a maggot 🤬

The homeless problems in Australia have mainly been caused by Airbnb's coming to Australia in the last 10 years or so. Landlords who were renting their properties before having now gone to Airbnb's. and these properties are now sitting vacant for half the year while waiting for short term tourists and visitors.to fill them. Ban air BNB's plus stop these owners of AirBNBs from using negative gearing and this renting problem will quickly disappear!

View attachment 19672

View attachment 19669

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19671

get used to it.... as interest rates rise so will rent.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 19672

View attachment 19669

Key Takeaways

View attachment 19671

Greed, pure and simple. I feel soooo sorry for those people.

Instead of the government renting Public Housing via private rental, it's about time the government 'themselves' employed builders, regulators, building engineers, architects .. and built public housing themselves. They use to build these buildings. Some in amazing areas as well.

Back to this and the Australian people own the buildings and land.

Saw a number of public housing the other day when I was in a new area, driving there. Some are about 15 streets away from me and I never knew until someone told me. The people there never cause any problems. There are others near the home that I grew up in, about 5 streets away and was right beside private Catholic school that I first went to Some of these units are also owned by people. So, people living side by side. Never been any problems there as well and I'd imagine that this is one of the ideal spots as right near the beach. Homes around here are now worth $2.7 - $6.M plus. They are in an amazing spot.

Back to building & owning our own public housing.

Saw this air on A Current Affair. There are about 5-6 small unit/villas in this building complex. The others are out as well because their rent doubled. They should get together and rent one home together of 5-8 bedrooms and get others in as well. Set Behaviour Rules. Set $payment budget as well for energy & water. Plus, set Home Clean rules & Menu/Cooking, Budget there as well. It actually may work for them as one may be a great cook and the others clean the home whilst one cooks. But, they share in chopping veggies, cleaning & washing dishes.

Reactions: Ricci and Janet g
Instead of the government renting Public Housing via private rental, it's about time the government 'themselves' employed builders, regulators, building engineers, architects .. and built public housing themselves. They use to build these buildings. Some in amazing areas as well.

Saw a number of public housing the other day when I was in a new area, driving there. Some are about 15 streets away from me and I never knew until someone told me. The people there never cause any problems. There are others near the home that I grew up in, about 5 streets away and was right beside private Catholic school that I first went to Some of these units are also owned by people. So, people living side by side. Never been any problems there as well and I'd imagine that this is one of the ideal spots as right near the beach. Homes around here are now worth $2.7 - $6.M plus. They are in an amazing spot.

Saw this air on A Current Affair. There are about 5-6 small unit/villas in this building complex. The others are out as well because their rent doubled. They should get together and rent one home together of 5-8 bedrooms and get others in as well. Set Behaviour Rules. Set $payment budget as well for energy & water. Plus, set Home Clean rules & Menu/Cooking, Budget there as well. It actually may work for them as one may be a great cook and the others clean the home whilst one cooks. But, they share in chopping veggies, cleaning & washing dishes.
Sounds good but have to be able to find said house and hope it is affordable. They would need to pick their housemates pretty carefully or could end up worse off than what they are now.

Reactions: MindyMac and Ricci

Lovely idea - not sure it would always work as even living with friends can often end the friendship! I know they have a system of sharing in Sweden that works very well- with older and younger people sharing facilities and homes which helps a lot with the loneliness factor for older people!!

Reactions: Ricci
I agree with you, good tenants are hard to come by,
Definitely not
I am a landlord and I appreciate the tenant I have unfortunately not all landlords have the same idea
I have had some shocking tenants that have cost me a lot of money so better the Devil you know than than the Devil you don’t
I agree with you, good tenants are hard to come by. Over the years I am afraid we have had more bad tenants than good.
In saying that, there are some atrocious landlords. If you can't afford maintenance, don't buy an investment property.
To increase the rent by 100% is pure outright greed. It does appear though that the rent was previously very low, but maybe that is all they were worth.
It's a complex problem. Bad tenants are what has turned a lot of people off from buying a rental property which is one reason there are less rentals.
Investors these day have very high mortgage costs which they need to cover, caused by the ridiculous cost of housing, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves for these prices We are the idiots that have paid these prices.
It's a catch-22 situation.