SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
7 Surprising Benefits of Drinking Tea

When we tell you to settle in and grab a cuppa, did you know that doing so can actually be good for your health?

Before we go any further, we do want to remind all members that any changes to diet and lifestyle should be discussed with your GP to see if it is right for you. As tea can be used in medicinal settings, it’s important to consider your current medication intake and whether it could potentially interact with your existing medication.

We've compiled 7 surprising benefits of drinking tea ranging from relieving anxiety to improving cognitive function.

1. Herbal varieties may reduce anxiety

When it comes to relaxation, there's nothing quite like a cup of herbal tea. Herbal teas have been used for centuries as a natural way to soothe the mind and body, and today there are many different varieties available. From chamomile to lavender, each herb has its own unique calming properties. While there is no one-size-fits-all solution for anxiety, sipping on a cup of herbal tea can be a simple and effective way to reduce stress.

qJxiZXHtW8l9hzDwr9f8HInfx8Xn_y1ahvnaPvcytoQAlcStZUiBtBK0pH6iDdnDWMbLbiAVWiHjyGWPXpBUiQYo2oiClgghYkSwhiNEOc0wDAaRaBDbjGLBd9NnQNdAj0flexsUyzVnhAbZIFk

There’s nothing quite like a warm cuppa on a cold day. Credit: shutterstock

Chamomile tea is ideal for those who are feeling overwhelmed, as it has gentle sedative effects that can help promote sleep. For those who are struggling with restlessness or nerves, lemon balm tea is a good choice. This fragrant herb has calming properties that can help to ease an anxious mind. If you're looking for a more general anxiety-reducing tea, try lavender tea. This floral beverage has long been used to promote relaxation, and studies have shown that it can be effective in easing symptoms of anxiety.

Whether you're dealing with occasional stress or chronic anxiety, drinking herbal tea is a gentle way to find some relief. It’s worth noting again members that this should be a discussion with your GP. Unfortunately, many tea varieties marketed towards ‘stress relief’ contain St. John’s wort and Ginkgo biloba which are known to counteract multiple medications.

2. Black tea may improve gut health

When it comes to gut health, we often think of probiotics and fermented foods. But did you know that tea can also be good for your gut? One of the reasons for this is that tea contains high levels of polyphenols, which are plant-based compounds that can help to reduce inflammation. What's more, tea also contains probiotics, which are live microorganisms that can help to promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria. In other words, drinking tea can help to reduce inflammation and promote a healthy gut microbiome - two key components of good gut health. So next time you're looking to improve your gut health, reach for a cup of tea. You might just be surprised at how effective it can be.

3. Green tea can help you lose weight

When it comes to weight loss, green tea is often lauded as a miracle cure. And while it’s true that green tea can help you drop a few kilos, it’s not going to magically make the kilos simply disappear overnight. That said, there are a few ways that green tea can help you lose weight. First of all, green tea is a great source of antioxidants, which can help to boost your metabolism and burn more calories. Additionally, green tea contains caffeine, which has been shown to act as a natural appetite suppressant. Finally, green tea has also been shown to increase fat burning and help the body to better use insulin. So if you’re looking for a little extra help in your weight loss journey, reach for a cup of green tea.

4. Tea can fight bad breath

We've all had that moment when we realise our breath isn't exactly fresh. Whether it's after a garlic-heavy meal or first thing in the morning, bad breath can be embarrassing and tough to get rid of. But did you know that tea could be the answer? That's right, sipping on a cup of tea can help to fight bad breath. Tea contains polyphenols, which have antibacterial properties that can help to kill the bacteria that cause bad breath. In addition, tea also helps to promote saliva production, which can rinse away food particles and neutralise odour-causing acids. So next time you're struggling with bad breath, reach for a cup of tea instead of a mint. Chances are it will do the trick.

5. Tea may reduce your risk of heart disease

Recent studies have shown that tea can help reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Tea is rich in antioxidants, which help to protect the body's cells from damage. These antioxidants can also help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation. In addition, tea contains flavonoids, which have been shown to reduce the risk of blood clots. All of these factors combine to make tea a potentially powerful weapon against stroke and heart disease.

6. Tea may boost cognitive function

Did you know that tea can also boost your cognitive function? Numerous studies have shown that tea consumption is associated with improved memory and mental alertness. One reason for this may be the caffeine content of tea. Caffeine is a well-known stimulant that can help to improve focus and concentration. However, tea also contains other compounds that may contribute to its brain-boosting effects. These include L-theanine, an amino acid that has been shown to promote relaxation without causing drowsiness, and catechins, antioxidants that support cognitive function. Green tea, in particular, has been shown to improve memory and protect the brain from age-related decline. The study found drinking tea at least four times a week for 25 years reduced the risk of cognitive decline in older people by up to 50 per cent.

7. Tea may lower your risk of cancer

Initial studies have shown that regular tea drinkers may have a lower risk of developing several types of cancer. Green tea appears to be especially beneficial, but all types of tea - black, green, white, and oolong - may offer some protection. Further study is required to reach a strong conclusion as this study has not yet reached human trials.

So next time you're feeling run down or reach for a sugary coffee, remember that tea can be a great way to improve your health instead!

What do you think? Did any of these surprise you? Will you start including a cup of tea in your daily routine?

Remember, any lifestyle changes must be discussed with your GP first. Personally, I love a cup of spearmint and chamomile tea to wind down my day.

Last edited:
I recently switched to Yorkshire tea, which is available at Coles, and I like it better than any other tea I've ever had. It isn't acid forming, which used to be a problem for me, and it's reasonably priced.

I recently switched to Yorkshire tea, which is available at Coles, and I like it better than any other tea I've ever had. It isn't acid forming, which used to be a problem for me, and it's reasonably priced.
I'll have to add it to my next grocery list!

Reactions: Ricci
When we tell you to settle in and grab a cuppa, did you know that doing so can actually be good for your health?

Before we go any further, we do want to remind all members that any changes to diet and lifestyle should be discussed with your GP to see if it is right for you. As tea can be used in medicinal settings, it’s important to consider your current medication intake and whether it could potentially interact with your existing medication.

We've compiled 7 surprising benefits of drinking tea ranging from relieving anxiety to improving cognitive function.

1. Herbal varieties may reduce anxiety

When it comes to relaxation, there's nothing quite like a cup of herbal tea. Herbal teas have been used for centuries as a natural way to soothe the mind and body, and today there are many different varieties available. From chamomile to lavender, each herb has its own unique calming properties. While there is no one-size-fits-all solution for anxiety, sipping on a cup of herbal tea can be a simple and effective way to reduce stress.

qJxiZXHtW8l9hzDwr9f8HInfx8Xn_y1ahvnaPvcytoQAlcStZUiBtBK0pH6iDdnDWMbLbiAVWiHjyGWPXpBUiQYo2oiClgghYkSwhiNEOc0wDAaRaBDbjGLBd9NnQNdAj0flexsUyzVnhAbZIFk

There’s nothing quite like a warm cuppa on a cold day. Credit: shutterstock

Chamomile tea is ideal for those who are feeling overwhelmed, as it has gentle sedative effects that can help promote sleep. For those who are struggling with restlessness or nerves, lemon balm tea is a good choice. This fragrant herb has calming properties that can help to ease an anxious mind. If you're looking for a more general anxiety-reducing tea, try lavender tea. This floral beverage has long been used to promote relaxation, and studies have shown that it can be effective in easing symptoms of anxiety.

Whether you're dealing with occasional stress or chronic anxiety, drinking herbal tea is a gentle way to find some relief. It’s worth noting again members that this should be a discussion with your GP. Unfortunately, many tea varieties marketed towards ‘stress relief’ contain St. John’s wort and Ginkgo biloba which are known to counteract multiple medications.

2. Black tea may improve gut health

When it comes to gut health, we often think of probiotics and fermented foods. But did you know that tea can also be good for your gut? One of the reasons for this is that tea contains high levels of polyphenols, which are plant-based compounds that can help to reduce inflammation. What's more, tea also contains probiotics, which are live microorganisms that can help to promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria. In other words, drinking tea can help to reduce inflammation and promote a healthy gut microbiome - two key components of good gut health. So next time you're looking to improve your gut health, reach for a cup of tea. You might just be surprised at how effective it can be.

3. Green tea can help you lose weight

When it comes to weight loss, green tea is often lauded as a miracle cure. And while it’s true that green tea can help you drop a few kilos, it’s not going to magically make the kilos simply disappear overnight. That said, there are a few ways that green tea can help you lose weight. First of all, green tea is a great source of antioxidants, which can help to boost your metabolism and burn more calories. Additionally, green tea contains caffeine, which has been shown to act as a natural appetite suppressant. Finally, green tea has also been shown to increase fat burning and help the body to better use insulin. So if you’re looking for a little extra help in your weight loss journey, reach for a cup of green tea.

4. Tea can fight bad breath

We've all had that moment when we realise our breath isn't exactly fresh. Whether it's after a garlic-heavy meal or first thing in the morning, bad breath can be embarrassing and tough to get rid of. But did you know that tea could be the answer? That's right, sipping on a cup of tea can help to fight bad breath. Tea contains polyphenols, which have antibacterial properties that can help to kill the bacteria that cause bad breath. In addition, tea also helps to promote saliva production, which can rinse away food particles and neutralise odour-causing acids. So next time you're struggling with bad breath, reach for a cup of tea instead of a mint. Chances are it will do the trick.

5. Tea may reduce your risk of heart disease

Recent studies have shown that tea can help reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease. Tea is rich in antioxidants, which help to protect the body's cells from damage. These antioxidants can also help to lower cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation. In addition, tea contains flavonoids, which have been shown to reduce the risk of blood clots. All of these factors combine to make tea a potentially powerful weapon against stroke and heart disease.

6. Tea may boost cognitive function

Did you know that tea can also boost your cognitive function? Numerous studies have shown that tea consumption is associated with improved memory and mental alertness. One reason for this may be the caffeine content of tea. Caffeine is a well-known stimulant that can help to improve focus and concentration. However, tea also contains other compounds that may contribute to its brain-boosting effects. These include L-theanine, an amino acid that has been shown to promote relaxation without causing drowsiness, and catechins, antioxidants that support cognitive function. Green tea, in particular, has been shown to improve memory and protect the brain from age-related decline. The study found drinking tea at least four times a week for 25 years reduced the risk of cognitive decline in older people by up to 50 per cent.

7. Tea may lower your risk of cancer

Initial studies have shown that regular tea drinkers may have a lower risk of developing several types of cancer. Green tea appears to be especially beneficial, but all types of tea - black, green, white, and oolong - may offer some protection. Further study is required to reach a strong conclusion as this study has not yet reached human trials.

So next time you're feeling run down or reach for a sugary coffee, remember that tea can be a great way to improve your health instead!

What do you think? Did any of these surprise you? Will you start including a cup of tea in your daily routine?

Remember, any lifestyle changes must be discussed with your GP first. Personally, I love a cup of spearmint and chamomile tea to wind down my day.
Always two cups of tea (loose leaf in a pot) with breakfast. Only drink coffee when I'm out because most cafes only use tea bags, and that's not real tea ;o)

Always two cups of tea (loose leaf in a pot) with breakfast. Only drink coffee when I'm out because most cafes only use tea bags, and that's not real tea ;o)
Yes indeed! Even though some people are coffee snobs, I find tea much more of an individual liking so I rarely have tea when out.

I drink Rooibos tea for preference because it's caffeine free, low in tannin & doesn't seem to have the same diuretic effect I get with both black & green tea. Rooibos comes from South Africa and has a rather nutty/bushy taste. Can be enjoyed hot & cold, black & white too.