$671 fine for eating ice cream? Tourist's horror after breaking strict Roman law: 'I didn't know the rules!'

Travelling to a foreign land and learning about the culture and traditions of the locals is an enriching experience in and of itself, but we can get even more out of it if we respect the laws of the countries we visit.

When travelling to a different nation as a tourist, it goes without saying that you will be expected to follow the local customs and regulations. Or else, you could end up having to pay a hefty fine like this one tourist from the US.

Earlier this month, an American tourist visiting Rome learned probably one of the most expensive lessons on his trip: to never eat gelato or drink a bottle of beer past midnight near one of the historical Roman fountains in the city.

The Fontana dei Catecumeni was constructed in 1589 by architect and sculptor Giacomo della Porta, and although it is a popular place for people to gather and mingle around at night, it was closed off on Friday so that no one could sit on the steps of the fountain.

YmLiuENcijelwMzUjxQqW9-QK2iNgv4a6qlL_rqMpSgL1MpP-NpuVxLOdj64bwfwqc0cR0WFQTH4qITgdgUhrtmkxuhmURvSFu2SqPca2D1Hkn0L6QUTfRYUs8dHblQ-KnYCUe5sb11XJRpNe9er4scs82I_IQ4Yf4u6ZFOFepnYZz1B-VFvzn8a9A

An American tourist was fined for eating ice cream on the steps of a Roman fountain. Credit: CNN.

The tape had apparently been taken off, so when the 55-year-old man sat down at about 1 am, he didn't know he was breaking the rules. 'I didn't know the rules, I didn't know I couldn't sit down. I didn't understand what you were saying to me,' said the tourist.

Unfortunately for him, he may have just made a bad situation worse, as ignorance of the law is never an acceptable justification, no matter where you are in the world.

According to the local newspaper, la Repubblica, the man did not relocate after being warned by the police, which prompted the authorities to respond by fining him a whopping €450 ($671 AUD).

According to reports, the American visitor wasn't singled out. Over the same weekend, local police reportedly conducted more than 300 'decorum' checks to enforce the laws that were revised in 2019 in part to deal with rowdy tourists.

The laws also make it illegal to drink in the street, plan pub crawls, and swim in the city's fountains.

As it turns out, the Roman authorities were relatively lenient towards the American man, despite the hefty fine, because according to reports, they can also choose to prohibit people from specified areas for up to 48 hours if they did not respect the law.

RTxpf_hiNOWprEVKQn3TQY5Y0V9SPg7fDHjERQz-9C3junoQR5msJ_9xsERnBfiy6sYUfmdQFDec0KaKKbqyFetS0IKlVW6uMC4tYVH3nr1O-z8YQltcOfj6WpVx0egsWF44Hlx6kILocw8iKGeD0muWsTiB4GOgz2C7TNLP0iuMSyTOV5HfQfcv_Q

Gelato in Rome is a dream to try, but it's not worth getting in trouble with the local police for it. Credit: 2foodtrippers.

Alright, everyone, this is your sign! If you're planning to visit Italy, especially Rome, soon and want to avoid having to fork out extra cash to the Italian government while you're there, it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with the country's legal system before you arrive.

And even though we're confident in saying that the combination of gelato and beer is delicious, it's not worth risking a run-in with the local law enforcement.

Members, are there any additional travel tips and advice that you've picked up from your experiences that you'd like to pass on to the rest of us? Seeing how many people are taking trips this spring, those could be useful! Share them in the comments.

Sponsored
Maybe the tape was never there and this was away for the government to make money

My son recently went to Greece, Turkey and France which he usually does every June / July .

His Aunty and cousins live in Greece and she told him becareful people are charging high ammounts for everything to make up for lockdowns.

A lot of these countries make most of their money through tourism.

He noticed accommodation had more than doubled as did food outlets unless you went with someone who lived there .

They were without tourism for nearly 2 years so are now trying to recover income

Wouldn't it be great if our police were as willing to enforce the law as their foreign counterparts. We all broadly know the rules and how to behave in another Country and those who flaunt the rules face the consequence, hence the number of Aussies in foreign jails.

I think if you are asked to move, move....the reason really doesn't matter.....
When I was in Singapore YEARS ago, I know people could get fined for spitting.
I wish we had that law here. In the space of about 50 metres yesterday, 7 people offended me by spitting.
I'm guessing, hopefully, they didn't set out to offend me, but it's awful....a horrible, dirty habit.

Last edited:
For heavens sake, you can't sit around on ancient monuments eating and drinking - especially in Rome. There are signs everywhere to inform you of this. Plus, this bloke was told to move on and he decided to stay. What does he expect?