60-day prescriptions causing chaos? Rural residents face shortage in vital medicines

In a world where we're often overwhelmed by a plethora of information (and sometimes misinformation), it's important for us here at the Seniors Discount Club to keep you up-to-date on any news that might directly affect you, our lovely readers.

One issue that has recently caught our attention is the potential fallout from the Australian government's decision to extend some medicine prescriptions from 30 up to 60 days.

You must be wondering, what's the problem with longer prescriptions? Well, it seems that extending the prescription length may have some unintended consequences, particularly for our rural residents who are already struggling to access essential medications.

image1.jpg
What does the prescription policy change mean for you? Image source: Unsplash.

Rural pharmacist Leigh Houldsworth explains that the global medicine shortage, which has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, has forced her to often turn away 20 customers before 10am because their prescribed medications were simply not available.

‘Sometimes a doctor can change it to something else but often they have to see a patient again to completely change the therapy,’ Ms Houldsworth explained.

‘It means we are ringing the GPs and hospital doctors all day because we don't have the medicine they are prescribing. It makes servicing the health needs of a community of nearly 20,000 in the rural city of Mount Isa difficult.’

As you can imagine, when the federal government announced in April that consumers would be able to purchase a 60-day supply of 320 medications on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) from September 1, rather than the current 30-day supply, Ms Houldsworth panicked.

Janet, a 75-year-old resident from the remote Queensland town, shared her concerns: ‘With my heart condition, I rely on my medication every single day. The thought of not being able to access it is terrifying.’

With the decision to extend prescriptions to 60 days, Ms Houldsworth voices her concerns about the future supply chain, questioning how they'll manage to provide double the dosage come September, especially for rural communities like Mount Isa, where medication supplies are already limited.

A new report by economist Professor Henry Ergas and Griffith University, commissioned by The Pharmacy Guild, supports Ms Houldsworth's concerns. The report reveals that 665 pharmacies could close and another 900 might be at risk, along with the loss of 20,000 jobs, due to the 60-day prescription scheme.

The loss of these pharmacies and jobs would have a disproportionate impact on vulnerable rural communities, further widening the health gap in remote areas of Australia and affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in particular.

Despite these concerns, some experts, such as health economist Stephen Duckett, dismiss the idea that the change will result in shortages. He argues that the number of drugs dispensed won't change, just how often they are dispensed. However, Houldsworth insists that the situation is different for rural pharmacists, whose supply chains are already stretched thin.

It's worth noting that the government's decision to extend prescription lengths was made with the intention of providing greater convenience and cost-savings to consumers. By reducing the number of visits to the pharmacy and potentially lowering out-of-pocket expenses, the 60-day prescription scheme was designed to make life a little easier for all Australians.

So, how can rural residents deal with this impending issue? Ms Houldsworth and The Pharmacy Guild have called for greater consultation with the government on this matter, stating that they have a long history of working together on policy changes which hasn't happened in this situation.

Key Takeaways
  • A new report claims huge job losses in the pharmacy sector as a result of 60-day prescriptions, impacting vulnerable rural communities hardest.
  • The supply chain of medication to rural communities is significantly hampered by distance, causing difficulties in sourcing in-demand drugs.
  • The report states that 665 pharmacies would close, 900 would be at serious risk, and 20,000 jobs would be lost due to the 60-day dispensing scheme.
  • Rural and regional communities are at a higher risk of experiencing medicine shortages and financial losses incurred by local chemists.

In the meantime, rural residents can take certain steps to cope with potential medication shortages. Here are a few practical tips:

1. Contact your healthcare provider ahead of time and discuss your concerns about medication availability. They may be able to provide a plan or alternative solutions specific to your situation.
2. Establish a good line of communication with your local pharmacist, who can keep you informed about potential shortages and work with you to secure your required medications.
3. Explore alternative ways to access your medications, such as online pharmacies or delivery services, and be proactive in staying informed about any supply chain issues.

As a community for seniors, we know just how important it is to have the right medications at the right time, especially for those with chronic health conditions. That's why it's crucial to voice our concerns over potential changes and policy shifts in the health sector. So, tell us in the comments below what you think of this policy change? Do you think it will help or hinder your access to medication?

Sponsored
Why are stocks still low and why is everything blamed on Covid ?

Why would this close pharmacies or put people out of work?

The government is giving pharmacist more power to prescribe medications such as antibiotics, contraception ect.

I think they need to look at how many people go without medicine because they can't afford it. This will hopefully help those in need

In a world where we're often overwhelmed by a plethora of information (and sometimes misinformation), it's important for us here at the Seniors Discount Club to keep you up-to-date on any news that might directly affect you, our lovely readers.

One issue that has recently caught our attention is the potential fallout from the Australian government's decision to extend some medicine prescriptions from 30 up to 60 days.

You must be wondering, what's the problem with longer prescriptions? Well, it seems that extending the prescription length may have some unintended consequences, particularly for our rural residents who are already struggling to access essential medications.

View attachment 22792

Rural pharmacist Leigh Houldsworth explains that the global medicine shortage, which has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, has forced her to often turn away 20 customers before 10am because their prescribed medications were simply not available.

‘Sometimes a doctor can change it to something else but often they have to see a patient again to completely change the therapy,’ Ms Houldsworth explained.

‘It means we are ringing the GPs and hospital doctors all day because we don't have the medicine they are prescribing. It makes servicing the health needs of a community of nearly 20,000 in the rural city of Mount Isa difficult.’

As you can imagine, when the federal government announced in April that consumers would be able to purchase a 60-day supply of 320 medications on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) from September 1, rather than the current 30-day supply, Ms Houldsworth panicked.

Janet, a 75-year-old resident from the remote Queensland town, shared her concerns: ‘With my heart condition, I rely on my medication every single day. The thought of not being able to access it is terrifying.’

With the decision to extend prescriptions to 60 days, Ms Houldsworth voices her concerns about the future supply chain, questioning how they'll manage to provide double the dosage come September, especially for rural communities like Mount Isa, where medication supplies are already limited.

A new report by economist Professor Henry Ergas and Griffith University, commissioned by The Pharmacy Guild, supports Ms Houldsworth's concerns. The report reveals that 665 pharmacies could close and another 900 might be at risk, along with the loss of 20,000 jobs, due to the 60-day prescription scheme.

The loss of these pharmacies and jobs would have a disproportionate impact on vulnerable rural communities, further widening the health gap in remote areas of Australia and affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in particular.

Despite these concerns, some experts, such as health economist Stephen Duckett, dismiss the idea that the change will result in shortages. He argues that the number of drugs dispensed won't change, just how often they are dispensed. However, Houldsworth insists that the situation is different for rural pharmacists, whose supply chains are already stretched thin.

It's worth noting that the government's decision to extend prescription lengths was made with the intention of providing greater convenience and cost-savings to consumers. By reducing the number of visits to the pharmacy and potentially lowering out-of-pocket expenses, the 60-day prescription scheme was designed to make life a little easier for all Australians.

So, how can rural residents deal with this impending issue? Ms Houldsworth and The Pharmacy Guild have called for greater consultation with the government on this matter, stating that they have a long history of working together on policy changes which hasn't happened in this situation.

Key Takeaways

• A new report claims huge job losses in the pharmacy sector as a result of 60-day prescriptions, impacting vulnerable rural communities hardest.
  • The supply chain of medication to rural communities is significantly hampered by distance, causing difficulties in sourcing in-demand drugs.
  • The report states that 665 pharmacies would close, 900 would be at serious risk, and 20,000 jobs would be lost due to the 60-day dispensing scheme.
  • Rural and regional communities are at a higher risk of experiencing medicine shortages and financial losses incurred by local chemists.

In the meantime, rural residents can take certain steps to cope with potential medication shortages. Here are a few practical tips:

1. Contact your healthcare provider ahead of time and discuss your concerns about medication availability. They may be able to provide a plan or alternative solutions specific to your situation.
2. Establish a good line of communication with your local pharmacist, who can keep you informed about potential shortages and work with you to secure your required medications.
3. Explore alternative ways to access your medications, such as online pharmacies or delivery services, and be proactive in staying informed about any supply chain issues.

As a community for seniors, we know just how important it is to have the right medications at the right time, especially for those with chronic health conditions. That's why it's crucial to voice our concerns over potential changes and policy shifts in the health sector. So, tell us in the comments below what you think of this policy change? Do you think it will help or hinder your access to medication?
This Labour government is losing the plot! No Consultation with agencies, elder communities, user groups, remote and rural communities; an idiot could determine that with the current shortage of critical medicines, two months supply for one could, and probably does mean NONE for the next patient, compounded by supply to rural and remote towns.
Could you just for once answer a question Labour; how are you going to SUPPLY in an already critically interrupted pharmaceutical supply chain ????! Are you going to let us die/suffer in rural and regional Australia … whilst your placation of your city centric voter base, in this instance also puts their health at risk??

the 60 day script is designed to save the government lots of money.
it is designed to halve the number of scripts.
therefore is stops people from reaching the safety net, and getting free medication.
so we, the people find it hard to get medications , but the government save millions. they win.

I live in a small rural town and don't have any problem accessing any of my family medications.
It's not as if everybody goes to the pharmacist on the same day and over the year we are still purchasing the same amount, not more, I don't really understand the problem, except the chemist doesn't make as much money and I think that is what their hue and cry is about.
There are far too many pharmacies anyway all cutting each other's throats.
I for one will be happy to get my meds cheaper and not have to go to the shops as often.
Just my opinion.

therefore is stops people from reaching the safety net, and getting free medication.
so we, the people find it hard to get medications , but the government save millions. they win.
YES!!!! I am rural and have a disability and I get 60 day scripts already - my husband has a drug that a bottle of 100 tabs lasts him 3 weeks so he gets 3 bottles each script - I have no doubt that there would be many who currently have the same situation and also take longer to get the safety net earlier than they do.

The safety net kicks in after you have spent a certain amount, so the fact that you will reach the safety net later makes no difference to how much it will cost you
Yes, the govt may save a lot of money which can hopefully be put to better use.

Mmm I’m totally confused !! SO when I next visit my gp the script will have 10 repeats instead of 5 which basically means I don’t need to visit my gp as often ? But how does that impact on my chemist .unless I get 2 scripts for the price of 1 mmm looking forward to some interesting answers

YES!!!! I am rural and have a disability and I get 60 day scripts already - my husband has a drug that a bottle of 100 tabs lasts him 3 weeks so he gets 3 bottles each script - I have no doubt that there would be many who currently have the same situation and also take longer to get the safety net earlier than they do.
I take seven different medications regularly. My GP provides me with individual scripts for each medication which also have five repeats for each thus not affecting the safety net.

Mmm I’m totally confused !! SO when I next visit my gp the script will have 10 repeats instead of 5 which basically means I don’t need to visit my gp as often ? But how does that impact on my chemist .unless I get 2 scripts for the price of 1 mmm looking forward to some interesting answers
nothing to do with repeats. you get scripts for 6 months then gp will give you the next script for 6 months. i already get scripts with 5 repeats. total of 6. damned if i know what they are doing,

View attachment 22792

Key Takeaways

As a community for seniors, we know just how important it is to have the right medications at the right time, especially for those with chronic health conditions. That's why it's crucial to voice our concerns over potential changes and policy shifts in the health sector. So, tell us in the comments below what you think of this policy

View attachment 22792

Key Takeaways

If the system is working why stuff around with it, ok so Mt Isa and rulal areas are having trouble getting medication so 60 days supply is a good idea, but in the city we don’t need 60 days, so leave it alone in the city’s, we need our chemest, if we lose them then what? Where do we go? The Hospitals? back log them for medications, more patients left outside hospital doors to die 🤬🤬 the government just doesn’t think 💭

Reactions: melnugro and Jennie
I agree that chemists have had adequate notice of this and should have started to order more stock of the drugs they use the most. They have records of scripts all their regular customers need, how many, how often etc. etc. surely they know how to work out what they need to order to cover customers needs. If they don’t have double amount to dispense at once why can’t they just advise the customer when the extra arrive so they can pick them up. Chemists need to stop whinging about losing money, I’m sure there are not too many around that don’t make huge profits, but there are a lot of people around who can’t afford to buy the often life saving medication they need.

View attachment 22792

Key Takeaways

Is this just another dumb idea Albo was to scared to admit to prior to the last election.
I find that the local chemist has a better understanding of patients illnesses and medical issues.
At least our chemist Malouf in Manly has a great understanding of our medical issues and care.

I rely on Questran Lite for my IBS and they have run out of stock, the same happened last year, and it was months before they got any. Im from Skye Vic Jan Purcell