$500 worth of petrol flushed down the drain in costly ‘wrong hole’ slip-up

It's best to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at the petrol pump, especially when you're filling up a beloved boat, van, or car.

After all, refuelling can be a bit tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

Unfortunately, one NSW fisherman recently made a mistake that cost him an absolute fortune and endangered everyone around him.

In a video posted to the popular Facebook page Fishing Sydney, a man can be seen hosing down a boat at a 7-Eleven pump in the city’s northwest.

‘Don’t make this mistake ever,’ a man said as a car towing the boat could be seen on-screen parked just beside the pump.

‘They put 231 litres — they thought this was the petrol,’ he continued, pointing at the circular hole where fishing rods are plugged.

A large puddle of water mixed with petrol was also pooled beneath the parked boat.

A longer version of the clip also revealed that people were frantically hosing the overflowing petrol down as the man who was recording the clip said he’d call 000.

Screenshot_6.png
Over 230 litres of petrol were seen gushing out of a boat after a regular refuelling trip went awry. Image Credit: Facebook

In total, $536.76 of fuel was wasted with the boat owner’s mistake, and as expected, commenters on the page had a field day with the man’s carelessness.

‘No fuel cap to remove,’ a user said. ‘(He) shouldn’t own a boat or a vehicle with that level of common sense.’

‘And it took 231 litres to realise!’ exclaimed another.

Apparently, among fishing enthusiasts, such events are the stuff of legend: ‘Yeah, I always thought this was just an urban myth.’

The man’s mistake also managed to draw in more sympathetic reactions from some who said they or someone they knew had done the same thing before.

A user admitted: ‘I put 125 litres in (my boat’s) rod holder a few weeks back, I’ll never get high before boating again.’

‘It happened to a mate in Mandurah over Christmas,’ another shared. ‘He took another guy with him and my mate took the cap off and went on doing something else.’

‘He only put about $40 in it down the rod holder into the bilge.’ Just $496 to go to beat this bloke’s (unfortunate) record…

‘My partner did it years ago with his Kevlacat but realised after about 50c, not $500,’ added a third.

Screenshot_7.png
The owner of the boat allegedly plugged the petrol pump’s nozzle into the fishing rod holder. Image Credit: Facebook

And others meanwhile saw the danger lurking beyond the cheeky remarks.

‘Don’t worry about the fuel, this is an explosion waiting to happen,’ one user said.

Another added: ‘One flash and you’re ash!’

'I hope no one flicks a match down the drain. Every manhole will be sent into orbit,' another said.

Key Takeaways
  • A boat owner accidentally filled up his rod holder instead of the fuel tank and wasted 231 litres of petrol.
  • The incident took place at a 7-Eleven pump in Sydney's northwest.
  • Several commenters criticised the owner’s lack of attentiveness in making such a mistake, but some sympathised and said they made similar errors in the past.
  • Others went beyond humour and stressed that the petrol spill was very dangerous.
  • In similar cases it is advised to immediately seek assistance to mitigate the harmful effects of spilled petrol.
But what does one do in similar instances?

Shell Australia says rule number one is not to panic.

‘Don't try to clean it up yourself, start your car or just hope the problem goes away on its own,’ they said on their website.

‘Locate a service station staff member and let them know about it.’

Shell said staff should be equipped with the right equipment to handle the mess.

‘Just follow their lead and they’ll get it cleaned up — and you’ll be back on your way.’

Source: YouTube/JSP Limited

BP also adds that aside from informing servo staff, it is important not to start the car until staff have given the all-clear.

They also said to watch out for static electricity, which may cause a spark that can pose a fire hazard.

BP also said it‘s against their policy to hose down the spilled petrol with water as it is illegal.

ServoPro offers a great explanation of why water and petrol are a no-go (in the context of small petrol spills): ‘(Water) will thin the (petrol), spread it further, and leave a lingering residue that increases fire risk at your petrol station.’

As an alternative, ServoPro says absorbent materials like baking soda or cat litter are adequate for use in small spills.

But perhaps most of all, it would be best to keep one’s wits about to avoid spilling petrol in the first place.

That said, it’s becoming increasingly common to find servos without attendants these days, which is why one station was the talk of the town last year when actor Shane Jacobson experienced something that had him hollering ‘What a champion! Go Australia!’

So, what are your thoughts on this amusing — and equally dangerous — story?

Do you agree with criticisms of the boat owner making a ridiculous mistake? Or have you had experiences in the past that make you more sympathetic?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: Facebook/Fishing Sydney

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I saw this on sunrise a week ago.
How did he not see this happening , the petrol would have started to pour out very quickly 🤔
If he didn't know where to put the petrol, then how would he even know how to start the engine.
Did he even have a boat licence

What a complete moron.
Could he not smell the petrol or see the overflow going onto the ground.
Lucky he didn't have a lighted cigarette in his hand

Reactions: Ezzy
I can't but help feel sorry for the bloke......only scratching my head as to why it took $500 worth of fuel before he realised something was amiss.....his credit card would have curled up at the edges after that transaction......I did something similar at Snowtown Service Station in Hwy1 back in 2012 - pulled up at the end bowser, grabbed the hose and started pumping what I thought was diesel, turned out to be petrol - put $25 worth in an already 1/4 full tank. I stopped and notified the RAA who were next to useless at trying to resolve the problem - all they wanted to do was truck my Cruiser back to their place and then fix it. - To cut a long story short, I got some 20L cooking oil tins from the kitchen there and drained the tank (I put the contents in a 200lt drum I had in my trailer) - put 10L of diesel in and flushed the tank then drained and refilled the tank to full - only then did I start the car...ran as sweet as a nut (Brand new car - less than 6 months old).
I then went inside and told the proprietor that it was a daft idea to have diesel and petrol operating from a single bower (diesel on the left / petrol on the right).....I learnt the hard way - I wonder how many more elderly citizens have been caught this way????

Never owned a boat but if l did I'd be sure to acquaint myself of certain things first. Part blame could possibly be placed on the seller who should have acquainted the gent of certain important points at the time of sale or picking up the boat. Refuelling is one important factor as is what type of fuel.

I don't know if an Owner's Manual went with this, though l guess like a Car Owner's Manual, most people don't read this until something goes wrong or they need to know how to adjust something well after a purchase (guilty as charged).