5 fun facts about Woolworths’ roast chicken

There's no denying that the Woolworths roast chicken is one of the most popular offerings in the supermarket's ready-to-eat range.

Shoppers love the convenience of being able to pick up a hot, ready-to-eat roast chook for their dinner, and the fact that they're usually very reasonably priced doesn't hurt either.

So, for our dear members who are self-professed fans of this delicious meal, Woolies staff member Liam Kirley — who runs the retailer's official TikTok page — shared five fun facts about the supermarket giant's "famous" $11 roast chicken!

Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au

Here are the juicy (pun intended) details:

1. Barbecue chooks are second only to fresh produce in popularity

Liam begins the clip by sharing one fun fact that might not be so surprising to most Woolies fans.

"Fact number one: Roast chicken is our most popular food product after fresh produce,” he says.

2Bi6RMlrABEpGUDDv3C4XeM1BuhhLhRV730tqy2gNgZx0lP293mcRS4iqioI81O_5WxGAeRXu0HLwH9129XuQA4RLursW3pfXMtuPBr1BZVqVa_LxrlTfX_zxkn8bbjLBTrp8AY

Woolworths fans said that these fun facts are not surprising, considering the popularity of the item among its customers. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

2. How many roast chickens does Woolworths sell in a year?

“Fact number two: We sell 4,500 tonnes of roast chickens each year which is the equivalent of seven Airbus 8380s,” Liam discloses.

It should be noted that the Airbus 8380 is the world's largest passenger airliner, catering to a maximum of 853 passengers.

Imagine selling 7 times the weight of the world's largest aircraft? Mind blown!

3. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year for the roast chickens

Liam jokingly quips: “When the weather gets warmer our chickens fly off the shelves.”

As it turned out, Christmas is the barbecue chooks' "most popular time" as more customers purchase them during this period.

No surprises there.

4. The secret stuffing used in the chicken roast

The staff member shares: “Fact number four: The stuffing inside is made of delicious breadcrumbs and country-style herbs.”

Now we're thinking of trying the recipe ourselves…

C3Cs0kHsoKDbp5JfepPQCOWajL8yj_Pr6WbnKxlLJSzC_33MIp3D23kpR5cx8G4k8fwmAG2KoeUnek1iB4mHyrGuIc44iXbVoKFgiMeDLbbLiE7SkOrT1Ft5UB30j_EagV7ffiU

Liam said that the roast chooks “fly off the shelves” during Christmas. Credit: Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

5. Two states battle it out to be the home of roast chook lovers

Liam reveals that when it comes to which state loves the barbecue chicken the most, two states are currently battling out for the title.

“It’s neck and neck between Queensland and NSW because they’re our most popular states with roast chickens," he says.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 24,000 views from Woolworths fans who rave over the popular item.

One person wrote: “I think any Aussie knows that when the heat season comes around for us … good luck getting one of our chooks lol.”

Are you a fan of Woolworths' roast chicken?

Also, for those who are looking to prepare their own roast chicken, we recommend checking out this video for a tutorial on how to roast a whole chicken using an air fryer.

Credit: YouTube/Low Carb Recipes with Jennifer

Sponsored
I love the chooks but have always hated any kind of stuffing. I wish they offered some without.

Reactions: Ricci
5 fun facts about Woolworths’ roast chicken

There's no denying that the Woolworths roast chicken is one of the most popular offerings in the supermarket's ready-to-eat range.

Shoppers love the convenience of being able to pick up a hot, ready-to-eat roast chook for their dinner, and the fact that they're usually very reasonably priced doesn't hurt either.

So, for our dear members who are self-professed fans of this delicious meal, Woolies staff member Liam Kirley — who runs the retailer's official TikTok page — shared five fun facts about the supermarket giant's "famous" $11 roast chicken!

Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au

Here are the juicy (pun intended) details:

1. Barbecue chooks are second only to fresh produce in popularity

Liam begins the clip by sharing one fun fact that might not be so surprising to most Woolies fans.

"Fact number one: Roast chicken is our most popular food product after fresh produce,” he says.

2Bi6RMlrABEpGUDDv3C4XeM1BuhhLhRV730tqy2gNgZx0lP293mcRS4iqioI81O_5WxGAeRXu0HLwH9129XuQA4RLursW3pfXMtuPBr1BZVqVa_LxrlTfX_zxkn8bbjLBTrp8AY

Woolworths fans said that these fun facts are not surprising, considering the popularity of the item among its customers. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

2. How many roast chickens does Woolworths sell in a year?

“Fact number two: We sell 4,500 tonnes of roast chickens each year which is the equivalent of seven Airbus 8380s,” Liam discloses.

It should be noted that the Airbus 8380 is the world's largest passenger airliner, catering to a maximum of 853 passengers.

Imagine selling 7 times the weight of the world's largest aircraft? Mind blown!

3. Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year for the roast chickens

Liam jokingly quips: “When the weather gets warmer our chickens fly off the shelves.”

As it turned out, Christmas is the barbecue chooks' "most popular time" as more customers purchase them during this period.

No surprises there.

4. The secret stuffing used in the chicken roast

The staff member shares: “Fact number four: The stuffing inside is made of delicious breadcrumbs and country-style herbs.”

Now we're thinking of trying the recipe ourselves…

C3Cs0kHsoKDbp5JfepPQCOWajL8yj_Pr6WbnKxlLJSzC_33MIp3D23kpR5cx8G4k8fwmAG2KoeUnek1iB4mHyrGuIc44iXbVoKFgiMeDLbbLiE7SkOrT1Ft5UB30j_EagV7ffiU

Liam said that the roast chooks “fly off the shelves” during Christmas. Credit: Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

5. Two states battle it out to be the home of roast chook lovers

Liam reveals that when it comes to which state loves the barbecue chicken the most, two states are currently battling out for the title.

“It’s neck and neck between Queensland and NSW because they’re our most popular states with roast chickens," he says.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 24,000 views from Woolworths fans who rave over the popular item.

One person wrote: “I think any Aussie knows that when the heat season comes around for us … good luck getting one of our chooks lol.”

Are you a fan of Woolworths' roast chicken?

Also, for those who are looking to prepare their own roast chicken, we recommend checking out this video for a tutorial on how to roast a whole chicken using an air fryer.

Credit: YouTube/Low Carb Recipes with Jennifer

Roast chicken or roast budgie?

• Haha
Reactions: Julie1 and Ricci
Personally my family and I prefer a Coles roast chook to Woolies. The Coles stuffing is much tastier and not as dry as Woolies. The chooks are also juicier with less fat.

We bought a BBQ and rotisserie and have cooked a chook on the rotisserie several times, absolutely delicious, nice and juicy. Don't bother buying an already cooked on now!

Since taking over the cooking for myself and my wife I have regularly bought the roast chickens from Woollies and have seen the whole gamut of games they play. A few years ago a price war with Coles saw the roast chooks sold at $7.50, then easing up again to $9 for a few months, then $10 for quite some time, during which the chooks got smaller and smaller... It is only a month or two ago that the price went up to $11.00 and it's being touted as a bargain. Come on now get real! That's a 10% price hike!
Originally all Woollies chooks we cooked on rotisseries in store, now they are just on shelves in ovens. It is hard to find one that is not charred with burnt wings falling off & drumsticks so dried out as to be inedible!
Quite often it's the (overworked?) staff at fault, the alarm goes off to indicate the chooks are cooked and to remove from oven... but often left sitting in the hot oven for a considerable time. rant over sorry folks....:(:cool:

Reactions: Rietjies and Ricci
I hope they don't get bones and all, saying if you have to dismember the chooks yourself every day OMG, I'd hate the job. :rolleyes:
Beagles do get bones they eat every part of the chicken. It’s their breed, never been an issue ever in all my years of owning that breed

I buy my roast chooks from Coles - tried Woolworths and didn't like it especially once the meat was cold and since there is only two of us I like to make sure none is wasted so will stick with Coles as long as it continues to taste good for at one time we had the same problem with theirs too but then the son was living with us and he was happy to polish it off.

Since taking over the cooking for myself and my wife I have regularly bought the roast chickens from Woollies and have seen the whole gamut of games they play. A few years ago a price war with Coles saw the roast chooks sold at $7.50, then easing up again to $9 for a few months, then $10 for quite some time, during which the chooks got smaller and smaller... It is only a month or two ago that the price went up to $11.00 and it's being touted as a bargain. Come on now get real! That's a 10% price hike!
Originally all Woollies chooks we cooked on rotisseries in store, now they are just on shelves in ovens. It is hard to find one that is not charred with burnt wings falling off & drumsticks so dried out as to be inedible!
Quite often it's the (overworked?) staff at fault, the alarm goes off to indicate the chooks are cooked and to remove from oven... but often left sitting in the hot oven for a considerable time. rant over sorry folks....:(:cool:
We usually wait until about an hour before store closing time (Coles and Woolies) and then they mark down the prices of the chooks, because they can's sell them the next day. Quite often we get them for about $4.00 or slightly more, which is a great saving.

Reactions: Duchess and Ricci