34-carat diamond valued at $3.6 million 'ALMOST THROWN IN THE BIN' by shocked British pensioner

34-carat diamond valued at $3.6 million 'ALMOST THROWN IN THE BIN' by shocked British pensioner
A British pensioner was left in shock after discovering that a piece of 'costume jewellery' she 'almost threw in a bin' while clearing out her home was actually a 34-carat diamond worth $3.6 million.

mLUuNHozFsly0GByBxF2T1A8JULduhGcU2DwMsCysVPcNrVZESo4wWV-MAsHHwGuMT-q6kd_H03_fpbEUnwqYa-ZJI9DKxLG27dw-gRt_8dikWX6gqRLJ8calkAFUAAzUsExSq4

British pensioner thought that the stone she’s keeping is ‘costume jewellery’ until experts discovered that it is a 34-carat diamond valued at $3.6 million. Credit: North News & Pictures Ltd.
The Northumberland pensioner, who wished to remain anonymous, took the diamond to be valued along with costume jewellery she had bought at car boot sales over many years at Featonby's Auctioneers in North Shields, North Tyneside.

Auctioneer Mark Lane told the BBC that it was a 'huge shock' when he learned of the diamond's true value.

'The lady came in with a bag of jewellery as she just thought she would bring it in as she was passing by because she had another appointment in the town,' said Mr Lane.

Mr Lane told the BBC that the pensioner revealed to him that the diamond, which is larger than a pound coin, had been kept in a box along with the pensioner's wedding bands and low-value pieces of costume jewellery.

'We saw quite a large stone, bigger than a pound coin, and I thought it was a CZ (cubic zirconia, a synthetic diamond lookalike). It sat on my desk for two or three days until I used a diamond tester machine.'

'We then sent it off to our partners in London before it was certified by experts in Antwerp, Belgium, who said it was 34.19 carat colour HVS1, which is extremely rare.'

The weight of a diamond determines its carat measurement and value — heavier stones have a higher carat, and therefore have a higher value.

re0aT6JSg8jKcTh-1ruqPdEZxTfY2IoNTTI0R42s6uDLqmaAUXZRBsmNYyMRWeRHTglW5BkVgRafSAIojraMIqr4OPR0_AStOVsA8eTh7nOHM8IPinw2t3PcOm--q24zJ2_m2vw

The 34-carat diamond was almost thrown in a bin during a home clearance. Credit: North News & Pictures Ltd.
The auctioneer said that the diamond is the most expensive item he had handled since he bought the company from its previous owners five years ago.

Mr Lane said: 'The colour, the clarity, the size... to find a 34-carat diamond is off the scale.'

The pensioner also told Mr Lane that she had no idea that the jewellery was a real diamond. In fact, she was ready to dispatch it.

'She told us she'd been having a clearout and that it nearly went in the bin before her neighbour suggested bringing her items to us to get valued.'

Mr Lane added: 'I was in shock when I was told how much it was worth. It was an out of body experience, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. It's crazy how it all happened.

'We get everything from jewellery to fine art, and furniture. I've seen everything across the board but nothing of that magnitude in the five years I've been here.'

Currently, the diamond is being kept safe in London's Hatton Garden jewellery quarter and is set to be auctioned on November 30.

• Wow
Reactions: Defiant540
Sponsored
I am so happy for this retired Pensioner. It was found by the right person, one who will be able to live a better life now.

Thank goodness they actually had the sense to have it evaluated. It would've been such a waste