3 Ways To Make The Most Out Of Your Lemons & Refresh Your Home

As the weather gets warmer and the days get longer, we naturally start to feel more inclined to spend time outdoors, enjoying all that nature has to offer. But that doesn't mean we should neglect our homes! Spring is the perfect opportunity to give your living space a little refresh.

And what's a better way to do so than with some delicious lemons? Not only are they great for adding zest and flavour to food and drinks, but this versatile citrus fruit can also be used for cleaning surfaces, removing stains and even freshening up the air in your home.

Here are three ways you can use lemons around your home:

Lemon-infused vinegar and all-purpose cleaner.

The acidic, antibacterial qualities of lemon make it ideal for cleaning surfaces and removing odours. You can easily craft batches of lemon-infused vinegar using just leftover rinds or lemon halves.

For the lemon-infused vinegar all you’ll need is:
  • A jar
  • 1 ½ to 2 cups of lemon peels
  • 3 to 4 cups of white vinegar

shutterstock_2052318158.jpg
Lemon and vinegar all-purpose cleaner. Image source: Shutterstock.

To make lemon-infused vinegar simply put the lemon rinds or halves in a jar or bottle filled with white vinegar, seal it tightly and let it sit for two weeks to a month before using it as an all-purpose cleaner throughout your home. The longer you let it infuse, the stronger the cleaning power will be!

To turn the lemon-infused vinegar into an all-purpose cleaning all you’ll need is
  • 1 cup of your lemon-infused vinegar
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • ¼ cup liquid soap (Morning Fresh works fine)
  • 1 tablespoon borax
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
Combine all of the above ingredients into a spray bottle and shake until everything dissolves. Also, shake before spraying, and then use this perfect spring-cleaning companion to leave surfaces spotless.

Leftover lemon scrubber.

If you're in a pinch and need to clean something quickly, simply use the cut side of a halved lemon as a scrubber! Coat your surfaces or appliances in lemon juice, let soak for a few minutes then rinse – voila! This is such a quick and easy way to spruce up any room without resorting to harsh chemicals.

You can also add some salt (just regular table salt will do) to ‘supercharge’ the cleaning effects of your lemons:
  • Soak utensils or serving tools in a mixture of salt and lemon juice. Rinse after 10 to 20 minutes and marvel at this duo's ability to bust the lingering scent of onions and garlic.
  • Slice a lemon in half and dip it in salt before scrubbing tarnished brass, copper, or stainless-steel pots and pans. (For aluminium, leave out the salt and buff with a soft cloth after rinsing.)
  • Sprinkle salt and lemon juice over fabric stains. Rub the stained area together for light abrasion, and dry the fabric in sunlight to restore it to a bright, unblemished state.

Scent-sational Lemon Steam.

If you want your home not just to look clean, but smell fresh too – try this simple trick:
  1. Combine cut lemon and/or leftover lemon peels with water in a pot and place it on the stove over low heat—just enough to release steam.
  2. You can also add other herbs and spices to customise the scent released by the steam (try lavender oil or cinnamon for example).
  3. Keep an eye on the water and either refill or turn off the heat after it's evaporated.
  4. By the time the water has dispersed, your home will be filled with the fresh scent of lemon!

So, what did you think of these lemon tips and tricks, members? And do you have any of your own that you’d like to share? We’d love to hear from you! And if you do end up trying any of these tips, let us know how you went in the comments below.

Sponsored
A few years ago, I made a lemon infused vinegar cleaner recipe.
Unfortunately, I couldn't stand the smell. I thought I must have done something wrong, but no :sneaky:
These days, I skip DIY and shop at my local bulk store for cleaning products ie. lemon myrtle & castile soap which are both concentrated liquids.
Thanks for the above recipe though, which is different from the one I made.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
I find the vinegar and dishwashing great for the bathtub and vinegar, dishwashing liquid and bi carb great for the tiles both these work better than using chemicals.

I clean the fridge by mixing in a spray bottle 1 cup warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. This not only cleans but leaves it smelling great.

I also place half a lemon in a bowl of water and put in the microwave and cook for 5 minutes. I then just wipe over with a cloth , a great microwave cleaner

The best ever window cleaner is 2 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of dishwashing detergent all placed in a spray bottle. Spray on window or glass and wipe with paper towel ...keep unused mixture in your fridge. Once you use this you won't use anything else

I find the vinegar and dishwashing great for the bathtub and vinegar, dishwashing liquid and bi carb great for the tiles both these work better than using chemicals.

I clean the fridge by mixing in a spray bottle 1 cup warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. This not only cleans but leaves it smelling great.

I also place half a lemon in a bowl of water and put in the microwave and cook for 5 minutes. I then just wipe over with a cloth , a great microwave cleaner

The best ever window cleaner is 2 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 cup of dishwashing detergent all placed in a spray bottle. Spray on window or glass and wipe with paper towel ...keep unused mixture in your fridge. Once you use this you won't use anything else
Thanks. Do you have a diy recipe for cleaning ovens? I have previously tried making a bicarb & vinegar paste and left it overnight.

Reactions: Ricci
Coles has one and you just put all the racks in a bag and i painted some of the goo on the walls of my oven left it over night and it washed most of the mess off I had to rub a few parts so easy and no smell

Im looking for a good cleaner to clean my grandsons work cloths it is coal and grease on them

My Mum loved using lemons.
When she came to my home when my children were little to help me weed my large garden, she always brought a lemon with her.
She also brought her own hand towel and bags for the weeds to put in her bin at her home.
When she'd finished her day, playing with the children in the garden, her bags of weeds loaded in the car, she'd cut her lemon and rub both halves over her hands. I know the lemon juice stung all the nicks and cuts she'd accumulated throughout her day, but she'd say,
"Do them good, clean them out!"
The lemon removed all stains...grass, dirt and bugs, especially from the creases in her beautiful soft hands. Then she'd come inside and wash her hands in the bathroom, using her towel.
I was never able to convince her that she didn't have to bring a towel, or even take the weeds home.
But that fragrance of her lemon in her hands still lingers with me.
She passed away 27 years ago tomorrow, so I guess I'm off down memory lane.
🍋 💛 🍋💛🍋💛