21 years of laughter and tears: Revisit David Koch's unforgettable Sunrise moments!

All good things must come to an end, and this week sees beloved TV host David ‘Kochie’ Koch bidding farewell to his Sunrise friends and family.

And as we prepare to bid farewell to the endearing Kochie, who is ready to hang up the boots on Friday (9 June) after an impressive 21 years fronting Australia's No. 1 breakfast show, Sunrise, we take a trip down memory lane to revisit some of his most unforgettable moments.

It's hard to believe that some years ago, Kochie (who was a financial analyst with the Seven Network) was asked to fill in for regular Sunrise anchor Chris Reason.

Little did he know this temporary gig alongside Melissa Doyle would span more than two decades! Time flies when you're having fun, and it's safe to say Kochie had plenty of it!

kochie1.jpg
Kochie with Natalie Barr and Melissa Doyle. Credit: Kochie_online/Instagram

Meeting Broadway Veteran Julie Andrews (2005)

Kochie is a massive fan of the hit musical The Sound Of Music, so imagine his thrill when he had the honour of meeting the legendary Julie Andrews during a live broadcast at Disneyland in 2005.

In a later interview, he shared this story with radio hosts Kyle and Jackie O:

‘She was the ambassador for that Disney birthday, and she comes down the red carpet and looks over and goes, “Hello, Kochie, how are you?” And comes over and chats.’

Covering the intense story of the Beaconsfield Mine Collapse (2006)

One of the most intense moments of Kochie's time on Sunrise was covering the rescue of miners Brant Webb and Todd Russell, who were trapped after a rock collapse at Tasmania’s Beaconsfield mine.

Their colleague Larry Knight tragically lost his life when a small earthquake triggered the rockfall, while Webb and Russell faced a harrowing 321-hour ordeal.

kochie2.jpg
Kochie covered the story of Brant Webb and Todd Russell in 2006. Credit: Pixabay

After enduring two weeks of the horrifying ordeal, rescue workers managed to save the pair from further harm.

One of Kochie's most treasured memories was being invited into the ambulance by the rescued men and receiving Todd Russell’s ID tag.

Walking the Kokoda Track (2006)

For those who can't fathom Kochie embarking on an adventure, cast your mind back to 2006 when he joined forces with political guests Joe Hockey and Kevin Rudd to walk the gruelling Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea ahead of ANZAC Day that year.

They encountered the tail-end of a massive tropical storm while trekking, making the experience both physically and emotionally taxing.

Still, the trio agreed it was a profound moment for all and well worth the effort.

Kochie’s cameo in Home and Away (2007)

And who could forget Kochie's brief stint in Summer Bay on the popular soap opera Home and Away? It's certainly not every day that you find a respected television presenter taking a turn towards acting!

Meeting International Celebrities (2010-2012)

The arrival of international stars to the Sunrise set always caused excitement, and Kochie was right in the thick of it.

From the buzz of pop icon Justin Bieber performing live in Martin Place in 2010 to the hysteria surrounding One Direction's visit in 2012, he witnessed firsthand how fans would flock to catch a glimpse of their idols.

Live from Antarctica (2012)

In an Australian TV first, Kochie broadcasted live from Casey Station in Antarctica for three days in 2012.

Tasked with planting the Sunrise flag and gaining insight into life on the frozen continent, it's an experience he claimed will undoubtedly be etched in his memory forever.

Co-hosting with musician Katy Perry (2017)

Of course, we can't fail to mention the time Katy Perry co-hosted Sunrise in 2017. The pop sensation got cosy with Kochie, critiqued his choice of tie, and read from the autocue like a seasoned pro. It was definitely a day for the history books!

Together with Dame Edna (2020)

Kochie also has the privilege of interviewing the always cheeky Dame Edna Everage in 2020, rattling off his family tree in the process.

The news of his departure from Sunrise in late May filled the TV host with much emotion, acknowledging that he has gone through a whirlwind of laughter, tears, joy, and challenges in his 21-year journey on the show.

‘I have loved every single minute of my time at Sunrise, and I’m incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved over the last 21 years,’ he said.

Matt Shirvington is set to replace David Koch in the coming days, but can he rise up to the challenge of keeping Sunrise’s ratings up against rival TV show Today? Find out what experts have to say here.
Key Takeaways
  • Sunrise co-host David Koch is preparing to leave the show after 21 years of hosting Australia's No. 1 breakfast show.
  • Some of Kochie's most memorable moments include meeting The Sound of Music star Julie Andrews, the rescue of Brant Webb and Todd Russell at Tasmania's Beaconsfield mine, and walking the Kokoda Track with Joe Hockey and Kevin Rudd, to name a few.
  • Kochie also had some memorable encounters with celebrities during his time on Sunrise, such as Katy Perry co-hosting the show in 2017 and interviewing Dame Edna Everage in 2020.
  • Kochie announced his departure from Sunrise in late May, stating he's incredibly proud of what the team has achieved over the years and that he has loved every minute of his time with the network.
What are your thoughts on Kochie’s departure from the show? Do you think Matt Shirvington can keep the network’s ratings up? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
All good things must come to an end, and this week sees beloved TV host David ‘Kochie’ Koch bidding farewell to his Sunrise friends and family.

And as we prepare to bid farewell to the endearing Kochie, who is ready to hang up the boots on Friday (9 June) after an impressive 21 years fronting Australia's No. 1 breakfast show, Sunrise, we take a trip down memory lane to revisit some of his most unforgettable moments.

It's hard to believe that some years ago, Kochie (who was a financial analyst with the Seven Network) was asked to fill in for regular Sunrise anchor Chris Reason.

Little did he know this temporary gig alongside Melissa Doyle would span more than two decades! Time flies when you're having fun, and it's safe to say Kochie had plenty of it!

View attachment 21795
Kochie with Natalie Barr and Melissa Doyle. Credit: Kochie_online/Instagram

Meeting Broadway Veteran Julie Andrews (2005)

Kochie is a massive fan of the hit musical The Sound Of Music, so imagine his thrill when he had the honour of meeting the legendary Julie Andrews during a live broadcast at Disneyland in 2005.

In a later interview, he shared this story with radio hosts Kyle and Jackie O:

‘She was the ambassador for that Disney birthday, and she comes down the red carpet and looks over and goes, “Hello, Kochie, how are you?” And comes over and chats.’

Covering the intense story of the Beaconsfield Mine Collapse (2006)

One of the most intense moments of Kochie's time on Sunrise was covering the rescue of miners Brant Webb and Todd Russell, who were trapped after a rock collapse at Tasmania’s Beaconsfield mine.

Their colleague Larry Knight tragically lost his life when a small earthquake triggered the rockfall, while Webb and Russell faced a harrowing 321-hour ordeal.

View attachment 21796
Kochie covered the story of Brant Webb and Todd Russell in 2006. Credit: Pixabay

After enduring two weeks of the horrifying ordeal, rescue workers managed to save the pair from further harm.

One of Kochie's most treasured memories was being invited into the ambulance by the rescued men and receiving Todd Russell’s ID tag.

Walking the Kokoda Track (2006)

For those who can't fathom Kochie embarking on an adventure, cast your mind back to 2006 when he joined forces with political guests Joe Hockey and Kevin Rudd to walk the gruelling Kokoda Track in Papua New Guinea ahead of ANZAC Day that year.

They encountered the tail-end of a massive tropical storm while trekking, making the experience both physically and emotionally taxing.

Still, the trio agreed it was a profound moment for all and well worth the effort.

Kochie’s cameo in Home and Away (2007)

And who could forget Kochie's brief stint in Summer Bay on the popular soap opera Home and Away? It's certainly not every day that you find a respected television presenter taking a turn towards acting!

Meeting International Celebrities (2010-2012)

The arrival of international stars to the Sunrise set always caused excitement, and Kochie was right in the thick of it.

From the buzz of pop icon Justin Bieber performing live in Martin Place in 2010 to the hysteria surrounding One Direction's visit in 2012, he witnessed firsthand how fans would flock to catch a glimpse of their idols.

Live from Antarctica (2012)

In an Australian TV first, Kochie broadcasted live from Casey Station in Antarctica for three days in 2012.

Tasked with planting the Sunrise flag and gaining insight into life on the frozen continent, it's an experience he claimed will undoubtedly be etched in his memory forever.

Co-hosting with musician Katy Perry (2017)

Of course, we can't fail to mention the time Katy Perry co-hosted Sunrise in 2017. The pop sensation got cosy with Kochie, critiqued his choice of tie, and read from the autocue like a seasoned pro. It was definitely a day for the history books!

Together with Dame Edna (2020)

Kochie also has the privilege of interviewing the always cheeky Dame Edna Everage in 2020, rattling off his family tree in the process.

The news of his departure from Sunrise in late May filled the TV host with much emotion, acknowledging that he has gone through a whirlwind of laughter, tears, joy, and challenges in his 21-year journey on the show.

‘I have loved every single minute of my time at Sunrise, and I’m incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved over the last 21 years,’ he said.

Matt Shirvington is set to replace David Koch in the coming days, but can he rise up to the challenge of keeping Sunrise’s ratings up against rival TV show Today? Find out what experts have to say here.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise co-host David Koch is preparing to leave the show after 21 years of hosting Australia's No. 1 breakfast show.
  • Some of Kochie's most memorable moments include meeting The Sound of Music star Julie Andrews, the rescue of Brant Webb and Todd Russell at Tasmania's Beaconsfield mine, and walking the Kokoda Track with Joe Hockey and Kevin Rudd, to name a few.
  • Kochie also had some memorable encounters with celebrities during his time on Sunrise, such as Katy Perry co-hosting the show in 2017 and interviewing Dame Edna Everage in 2020.
  • Kochie announced his departure from Sunrise in late May, stating he's incredibly proud of what the team has achieved over the years and that he has loved every minute of his time with the network.
What are your thoughts on Kochie’s departure from the show? Do you think Matt Shirvington can keep the network’s ratings up? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
I can’t believe I actually shed a tear this morning. I’ve always watched Sunrise and have huge respect for Kochie. Matt was the best choice. Ten years ago I was in a really dark place and my only constant was Kochie and Sam, then Nat of course. Todays farewell was so beautiful. Nat’s tears were real and that’s what set me off!! Sail on Kochie, I will miss you ❤️

I can’t believe I actually shed a tear this morning. I’ve always watched Sunrise and have huge respect for Kochie. Matt was the best choice. Ten years ago I was in a really dark place and my only constant was Kochie and Sam, then Nat of course. Todays farewell was so beautiful. Nat’s tears were real and that’s what set me off!! Sail on Kochie, I will miss you ❤️
I agree. Some people have nothing good to say about him but when you see what he and Libby did behind the scenes you have to admire them both. Agree Matt the best choice. Don't think Channel 9's morning show will over take Sunrise. Good luck Kochie.

Reactions: Jarred Santos