$20K Gone in Minutes: This Bank Account Story Will Keep You Vigilant

The last thing we want is to have our savings hacked and our financial security destroyed in an instant.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to one Melbourne man, Sze Chan, who had almost $20,000 of his savings (that he had worked hard to accumulate over several years) drained from his account in a matter of minutes.

Mr Chan had been a customer of the online bank Ubank for quite some time, but he always felt safe and secure in the knowledge that his money was in good hands.

However, it took just one bad evening for that to all be ripped away from him.

On the evening of December 6, Mr Chan received a notification that a new device had been connected to his Ubank account. Three minutes later, a staggering $19,900 was taken from his savings account.

936f65ef4f35ad1765330400eb4803af

A screenshot of the notification that Mr Chan received about the new device that was added to his bank account. Credit: news.com.au/Supplied.

He said he hadn't requested the device addition so he called the bank right away to confirm the unusual activity.

Mr Chan added that at 9 pm, which was after the customer service line's working hours, he called every number on the website to see if anyone was still working. But sadly, all of his calls went unanswered.

'I tried to contact Ubank on Facebook and Twitter and email them and there was no response,' he recalled, adding that the whole experience was incredibly stressful for him.

'It was surprising that if a crime could happen outside the working hours there was nothing you could do as I had to wait until the next morning and by then, it was too late.'

The following day, Sze called Ubank again and this time he was able to talk to a customer service agent. He was told that the incident would be classified as a disputed transaction and had been sent to the fraud team – but he was still upset by Ubank’s poor customer service.

ac03ebf8d21021768f3766c712f97de3

This text message about a scam warning from Ubank was sent in the same thread as the one informing him of the addition of a new device in Mr Chan's account. Credit: news.com.au/Supplied.

‘It was quite curt and brief so I was kind of surprised about their response. I was hoping for some sort of sympathy and hoping they could explain how this could happen,’ he explained.

‘I think the case was routed to a general query line, so there wasn't much the person could do aside from just raising a case. It was quite disappointing.’

Additionally, he shared that he was put on hold for three hours just to talk to someone about how 'stressful' the whole situation was before his account was suspended by Ubank.

'It’s quite distressing actually. I was saving up for a car so a lot of that has gone. I’m hoping to recover the money back but it was very stressful trying to get in touch with someone and I couldn't sleep,' Mr Chan said.

'I was pretty anxious and… sad.'

He claimed that the majority of his savings were kept in his Ubank account, so when it was lost, he had almost little money in the bank.

'My salary is paid into a Commbank account and from there I transfer my savings to Ubank so I just have two weeks of money left as all the additional money was the savings in Ubank, so I’m waiting on the next fortnight’s pay,' he continued.

He added that Ubank needs to offer 24/7 customer service to help people in case of fraud. Sze has stated he won’t remain a customer of Ubank, once the whole case is resolved.

A Ubank spokesperson released a statement to the media about the supposed incident. It read: ‘We have alerted customers impacted by this scam via text, the App messaging, social media channels and on our website,’

‘The SMS claims to be Ubank. Anyone who receives this SMS should not click on any links, send the SMS to +61 476 220 003 and delete it immediately. Ubank will never SMS you asking for banking details.’

‘Our Security team is working hard to prevent this scam from impacting our customers. We encourage customers to remain vigilant.’

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne man lost almost $20,000 in mere minutes.
  • He was faced with a number of obstacles while trying to get in contact with Ubank and reported the incident to the police.
  • Ubank's customer service was curt and unhelpful, leaving Mr Chen feeling anxious and frustrated.
  • Ubank has informed its customers about a phishing scam that may be related to Mr Chen's case.

Members, if this ever happens to you, contact the customer service department of your bank immediately. Be sure to check their hours of operation though, and remember that if you need to report something out of hours, your local police station is likely to be open to taking your report.

Above all, remain vigilant – your hard-earned savings could be at risk at any time, as this unfortunate story shows.

What are your thoughts on this shocking case? Do you think Mr Chan has the right to be upset over the lack of service from the bank? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
The last thing we want is to have our savings hacked and our financial security destroyed in an instant.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to one Melbourne man, Sze Chan, who had almost $20,000 of his savings (that he had worked hard to accumulate over several years) drained from his account in a matter of minutes.

Mr Chan had been a customer of the online bank Ubank for quite some time, but he always felt safe and secure in the knowledge that his money was in good hands.

On the evening of December 6, Mr Chan received a notification that a new device had been connected to his Ubank account. Three minutes later, a staggering $19,900 was taken from his savings account.

A screenshot of the notification that Mr Chan received about the new device that was added to his bank account. Credit: news.com.au/Supplied.

He said he hadn't requested the device addition so he called the bank right away to confirm the unusual activity.

Mr Chan added that at 9 pm, which was after the customer service line's working hours, he called every number on the website to see if anyone was still working. But sadly, all of his calls went unanswered.

'I tried to contact Ubank on Facebook and Twitter and email them and there was no response,' he recalled, adding that the whole experience was incredibly stressful for him.

'It was surprising that if a crime could happen outside the working hours there was nothing you could do as I had to wait until the next morning and by then, it was too late.'

The following day, Sze called Ubank again and this time he was able to talk to a customer service agent. He was told that the incident would be classified as a disputed transaction and had been sent to the fraud team – but he was still upset by Ubank’s poor customer service.

This text message about a scam warning from Ubank was sent in the same thread as the one informing him of the addition of a new device in Mr Chan's account. Credit: news.com.au/Supplied.

‘It was quite curt and brief so I was kind of surprised about their response. I was hoping for some sort of sympathy and hoping they could explain how this could happen,’ he explained.

‘I think the case was routed to a general query line, so there wasn't much the person could do aside from just raising a case. It was quite disappointing.’

Additionally, he shared that he was put on hold for three hours just to talk to someone about how 'stressful' the whole situation was before his account was suspended by Ubank.

'It’s quite distressing actually. I was saving up for a car so a lot of that has gone. I’m hoping to recover the money back but it was very stressful trying to get in touch with someone and I couldn't sleep,' Mr Chan said.

He claimed that the majority of his savings were kept in his Ubank account, so when it was lost, he had almost little money in the bank.

'My salary is paid into a Commbank account and from there I transfer my savings to Ubank so I just have two weeks of money left as all the additional money was the savings in Ubank, so I’m waiting on the next fortnight’s pay,' he continued.

He added that Ubank needs to offer 24/7 customer service to help people in case of fraud. Sze has stated he won’t remain a customer of Ubank, once the whole case is resolved.

A Ubank spokesperson released a statement to the media about the supposed incident. It read: ‘We have alerted customers impacted by this scam via text, the App messaging, social media channels and on our website,’

‘The SMS claims to be Ubank. Anyone who receives this SMS should not click on any links, send the SMS to +61 476 220 003 and delete it immediately. Ubank will never SMS you asking for banking details.’

‘Our Security team is working hard to prevent this scam from impacting our customers. We encourage customers to remain vigilant.’

Key Takeaways

• He was faced with a number of obstacles while trying to get in contact with Ubank and reported the incident to the police.
  • Ubank's customer service was curt and unhelpful, leaving Mr Chen feeling anxious and frustrated.
  • Ubank has informed its customers about a phishing scam that may be related to Mr Chen's case.

Members, if this ever happens to you, contact the customer service department of your bank immediately. Be sure to check their hours of operation though, and remember that if you need to report something out of hours, your local police station is likely to be open to taking your report.

Above all, remain vigilant – your hard-earned savings could be at risk at any time, as this unfortunate story shows.

What are your thoughts on this shocking case? Do you think Mr Chan has the right to be upset over the lack of service from the bank? Let us know in the comments below.
Absolutely he has a right to be upset! Ubank are trying to say they warn not to click on any links etc, but start of story doesn't mention that he clicked on any link, it jus says another device accessed his account then 3 mins later his money had vanished, so how does this happen? Seems way too easy to be ripped off these days & seems to be too little of care factor from banks involved.
Are we safer NOT storing savings in any bank accounts any more/these days? Makes one wonder if under the bed might be a better spot after all as Malcolm Frazer indicated years ago!

Maybe if all banks could have a 24 hour holding period for all withdrawals done online on large amounts of money. We check our bank balance every morning. Maybe this would cut down on a lot of these scams being successful.
What a great idea, why haven’t our banks heard about this?

Reactions: Cheezil

Key Takeaways

I feel so sad and sorry for this nice gentleman. I hope that they are able to get his money back. It's not fair because I've just had money taken out of my account and it stated that the money was taken out by Uber in Sydney and I am disabled, I have my own car and I've NEVER been to Sydney. I am with Bank SA AND it took me 47 minutes to get through to the bank only to have them disconnect me. When I tried to call again after 26 minutes I got a message saying they were now closed. I was so bloody furious because I'm only on a disability pension and I can't afford to lose any money. Today I finally got my new card but what's the point of having a new card when there's no money in it. So I hope and pray that Mr. CHAN GETS HIS MONEY BACK! I send him love and best wishes for Christmas and a happy New Year. God bless you. 🙏😢👍❤️🌹🎅🐦
Vicki Hughes From
South Australia

I feel so sad and sorry for this nice gentleman. I hope that they are able to get his money back. It's not fair because I've just had money taken out of my account and it stated that the money was taken out by Uber in Sydney and I am disabled, I have my own car and I've NEVER been to Sydney. I am with Bank SA AND it took me 47 minutes to get through to the bank only to have them disconnect me. When I tried to call again after 26 minutes I got a message saying they were now closed. I was so bloody furious because I'm only on a disability pension and I can't afford to lose any money. Today I finally got my new card but what's the point of having a new card when there's no money in it. So I hope and pray that Mr. CHAN GETS HIS MONEY BACK! I send him love and best wishes for Christmas and a happy New Year. God bless you. 🙏😢👍❤️🌹🎅🐦
Vicki Hughes From
South Australia
So sorry this has happened to you also! There are way too many stories like this now times, damn technology! It almost seems like the banks are deliberately avoiding the calls for help as it's all too common they aren't answering the calls!
Anyone with any money in the bank that they can't afford to lose should now be thinking seriously about taking it out themselves before the criminals get hold of it! Starting to think it would be safer at home if I had some! The banks would start to show concern then or govt would step in, surely!

Ubank and ALL banks should be required to have staff available 24/7 given that they ALL promote online banking and ALL enthusiastically encourage customers to use technology for banking services.

Reactions: Jill57
I know what he felt! One day someone withdrew my money. My phone is always connected to my bank card, so I get instant notifications about every transaction. Each message includes the amount withdrawn from the card and the ATM or bank location. That evening, when I almost lost $10k, someone withdrew money from Dubai. I immediately called the bank, froze the account, disputed the transaction, and got the money back. I'm glad that the staff of Tide Bank took my call seriously. I found this bank through referandsave.co.uk, and I'm happy I created a business account through the Tide app. This app saved my finances.