$200 worth of electricity credit to be given just in time for Christmas—find out if you’re eligible!

Australians are facing rising costs on multiple fronts, from higher grocery bills to increasing power prices.

However, thousands of eligible residents are set to receive a $200 power credit—a welcome relief to the increasing cost of living and a much-needed boost ahead of the festive season.

This credit, applicable to West Australians who receive their electricity bills from Synergy or Horizon Power, will be automatically applied to their next bill starting from Saturday.

This move is part of the state government's $400 power relief package, a strategic initiative announced in the state budget to alleviate the burden of escalating inflation and interest rates.

SDC .png
Eligible West Australians will receive their $200 power rebate on their next bill starting Saturday. Image source: evening_tao on Freepik.

This pre-Christmas boost is the second instalment of the relief package, following the first credit that was applied to bills during the July and August billing cycles.

The initiative has been warmly received by residents, with many expressing their gratitude for the financial relief.

Janet McLeod, a Synergy customer and grandmother of six, expressed her relief, saying, 'Being able to direct that $200 away from my Synergy bill towards my six grandchildren—that's an absolute bonus because that's where it should be going.'

Synergy has assured its customers that they do not need to apply for these offset payments as they will be ‘automatically identified’ by the energy provider.

However, residents living in caravan parks, retirement villages, and apartment buildings will need to apply for the credit online. You can find out more details on how to apply through this link.

The announcement of this credit comes at a crucial time, as WA's power demand hit an all-time high on Thursday in the midst of the city's six-day heatwave.

The relief package was initially revealed in May by former Premier Mark McGowan, who stated that the state's sixth consecutive operating surplus would allow for the rollout of budget measures that could help families and small businesses cope with rising inflation and interest rates.

The package's centrepiece was a whopping $715 million in cost of living support, with every WA household set to receive a minimum $400 electricity credit.

'We want everyone, particularly at this time of the year as Christmas is approaching, to benefit from this household electricity credit,' Premier Roger Cook said.

He also announced that the deadline for applications had been extended to March 31.

'This will give eligible households more time to apply and to receive the credit, and that will be welcome news for those who haven’t had the opportunity.'

In other news, drivers discovered that the government owes them hundreds of dollars, a significant amount that could ease the financial strain going into Christmas.

Eligible drivers could claim up to $1552, as the NSW government has set aside a substantial sum for drivers who have used toll roads since July 2022.

Drivers were urged to log into their Service NSW account and look for the 'claim your toll rebate' option. Following the prompts would reveal whether they were eligible for a rebate and, if so, how much.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Thousands of West Australian households will receive a $200 power credit on their next bill from Synergy or Horizon Power.
  • This is the second instalment of the state government’s $400 power relief package, designed to help families and small businesses cope with the rising cost of living and interest rates.
  • Customers living in caravan parks, retirement villages and apartment buildings will need to apply online to receive the credit.
  • The deadline for applying for this credit has been extended to March 31, 2024, allowing eligible households more time to submit their applications.
What are your thoughts on this initiative, members? Have you received your credit yet? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why don't you let us know in the opening paragraph that it is for one state only. This would save us a bit of extra scrolling.
Haha fir a change WE in WA get to be in the news I don’t suppose you notice how many times we need to scroll thru th find out it’s ( the article) is only relevant with the east coast .Sorry if its a bit rude BUT SUCK IT UP R .Kloosterman

Not all WA residents are eligible:
  • “Customers living in caravan parks, retirement villages and apartment buildings will need to apply online to receive the credit.”
I’m not eligible because I’m in an apartment building where the strata dictates that electricity payments are made via an Embedded Network. I was happy enough with Synergy but…😡

Not all WA residents are eligible:
  • “Customers living in caravan parks, retirement villages and apartment buildings will need to apply online to receive the credit.”
I’m not eligible because I’m in an apartment building where the strata dictates that electricity payments are made via an Embedded Network. I was happy enough with Synergy but…😡

It's being paid by the WA state government, so obviously will only be for residents of WA.
Lodge a complaint with your state government. I don't know where you live, but I thought all state govts would have offered some sort of help.
The main reason that the WA state government can offer this rebate is because unlike other states In Australia The power company that operates the electricity grid in WA is still owned by the state government, and not by price gouging private companies, something that other state governments did not think about when they sold their state owned companies, all they saw was the windfall in cash that was being offered by private companies who wanted to buy them.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
That’s not fair I wonder if the apartment owners are cashing in
I’d say the strata company would be. The majority of the apartments in this building are owner occupied (like me) and a small number of owners rent theirs out. For the first couple of years, (the building construction was completed in early 2020), it was all good. But it all changed last September. I guess the strata company wasn’t making money out of owners paying their own bills. Just another example of corporate greed. 👎🏻

This is unfair every Australian Pensioner, should get it not just Western Australian citizens,
You should be asking your own State Government why? We had a very good Premier Mark McGowan back then but our new Premier is useless just like the PM.

Reactions: DLHM