11-hour domestic flight?! Passenger shocked after Jetstar changed her flight plans hours before take-off

Everyone loves a good deal – especially when it comes to travelling or booking a flight. It's no wonder then, that budget airlines such as Jetstar have become very popular with cost-conscious travellers.

Travel plans are a tricky thing to juggle sometimes, so, when booking a flight, it’s important to make sure the airline you’re using is reliable. After all, there’s nothing worse than having your plans ruined at the last minute.

This is exactly what happened to Perth resident, Claire Bagot, who had booked a short flight with Jetstar from Perth to Adelaide, which is usually a three-hour trip.

In a video she uploaded to TikTok, Ms Bagot called out the budget airline for cancelling her flight just hours before take-off and then offering alternate flights that would take roughly half a day to get Ms Bagot to her destination.

‘If anyone wants to let me know how Jetstar is still in business, I would love that,’ she said in the clip.

jetstar.jpg
Jetstar cancelled Ms Bagot’s flight hours before take-off. Credit: Pascal Borener/Pexels

‘My flight was cancelled five hours before, lovely,’ she continued before showing the two replacement flight options she was offered.

She included the alternate flight options in the video, with one departing from Perth airport at 5:30 pm, and the other one leaving at 10:45 pm.

The first option was for an 11-hour and 15-minute trip involving two flights, while the other was a nine-hour and 50-minute trip that also required two flights. We don’t know about you, but this seems a bit much, doesn’t it?

‘Eleven hours and 15 minutes or nine hours and 50 minutes for a normally three-hour flight. That’s exactly what I want to do, and still not even get there the day that I’m meant to be getting there,’ she stated.

flight.jpg
These are the flight options that Ms Bagot received from the airline. Credit: sw4g.b1tchh/TikTok

Viewers of Ms Bagot’s post also criticised the budget airline’s mismanagement over flight cancellations, delays, and poor service.

‘Why is Jetstar so appalling, who runs it?’ One woman asked.

Another shared: ‘And they have the audacity to weigh your carry-on luggage to try and slug you for more money.’

While another said that they had the ‘exact same experience’. ‘And you have to collect your luggage and check it again during your stopover,’ they added.

‘They cancelled our GC>PER flights and gave us a lovely 8-hour stopover in MEL. At midnight. With a toddler,’ a third wrote.

This comes after previous reports of Jetstar’s mishandling of passengers’ belongings and ‘poor customer service’ sparked complaints online.

flight2.jpg
Jetstar faced backlash from travellers. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

In one instance, a group of unlucky Jetstar passengers bound for Australia were left stranded in a Japanese airport for 24 hours. They were given blankets and muesli bars as compensation for the delay. More details about that story can be found here.

In another instance, Jetstar passengers were furious when their luggage was taken off their flight without their permission – leaving them without their belongings in another country. You can read more details about this story here.

However, other TikTok users said that Ms Bagot shouldn’t be complaining. Some even suggested that passenger expectations should be managed accordingly, and others said that travellers shouldn’t rely too heavily on Jetstar because it is a budget airline.

‘You get what you pay for,’ one declared, to which Ms Bagot replied: ‘I paid 600 bucks for these flights.’

‘They literally don’t have control over most of these,’ another wrote. While another said that this circumstance ‘happens with all the Aussie airlines’.

‘You can just say you don’t want either, and you’ll get a credit or refund and can rebook a flight that works,’ they added.

‘At this point, you only have yourself to blame if you choose Jetstar,’ a fourth suggested.

And another viewer said that people have to realise that cheap airlines are ‘unreliable’. ‘It’s why it’s a low-budget airline. It’s never going to be reliable,’ the viewer commented further.

You can watch Ms Bagot’s video below:

A spokesperson told reporters: ‘We’re very sorry Claire’s flight from Perth to Adelaide had to be cancelled last week, and the inconvenience this caused.’

They added that they were doing everything they could to avoid disruptions, but unfortunately, they claimed that ‘sometimes there is no other option’.

‘Passengers were given the choice to rebook on the next available flight, which due to limited availability included both direct and indirect services, or they could opt for a refund. After being notified of the cancellation, Claire accepted a refund,’ the spokesperson explained.

According to the ACCC, services such as flights come with basic consumer rights known as consumer guarantees. This includes the guarantee that flights will be provided within a reasonable time after being delayed or cancelled. They also said that consumers may be entitled to a replacement flight or refund if a flight is delayed or cancelled depending on the circumstances.

When asked for the reason why Ms Bagot’s flight had been cancelled, the spokesperson cited crew sickness and that there were ‘no other staff available’.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman has slammed Jetstar for cancelling her short flight from Perth to Adelaide five hours before take-off and then offering her alternate flights that would take up half a day to get to the destination.
  • Jetstar was criticised by viewers for flight cancellations, delays, and poor service.
  • Jetstar responded by apologising for the inconvenience caused and said the flight had been cancelled due to crew sickness, with passengers given the choice to rebook on the next available flight or opt for a refund.
Have you ever had flight mismanagement issues? Share your stories in the comments!

Sponsored
Prior to covid i had a flight booked with Qantas business class from Alice Springs to Sydney direct, when i arrived at the airport i was informed the flight had been cancelled. I was told that all flights for the next 2 days were booked out so they had booked me on flight to Sydney via Adelaide to Melbourne connecting to a Sydney flight. I eventually arrived home 14 hours after leaving Alice.

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
I was booked on an early morning Qantas flight from Sydney to Brisbane for an urgent business appointment, arrived at the airport to be advised flight was cancelled, no help was given for an alternative flight and the only airline said no so had to charter a flight from Bankstown in a little 4 seater to Archifield

• Wow
Just this weekend gone I had several misfortunes or misadventures. Booked a flight from OOL to SYD in the morning. I thought that I had time to spare but there are roadworks along the highway which extends the travel time to the airport from 25 min to 55 min. Then when it came to booking in using the little boxes I was unable to read the extremely small print of my booking number. A number of tries failed so I hunted around and asked various people at the airport if they could read my booking number. Finally resolved, I attempted to book in and get a boarding pass but to no avail. I was told to go to the service desk where I was told that the flight had closed 3 minutes ago. $75 later (penalty) I was able to book another flight. The fun didn't stop there. Coming home my 5pm flight was going to be too tight so it was rebooked for 6.15pm. Waited in the holding lounge until 7pm. No announcement. The plane had eventually turned up. Lined up for over an hour to be told that the flight was cancelled and I would have to go upstairs to the booking desk for a replacement flight. Lined up for at least 1.5 hrs to be given another flight the following day. Then came the wait for accommodation. Had to catch a taxi to Hurstville. $75 down, $39 back. Something wrong, one might ask. Taxi did not know where the Hurstville Travelodge was. He kept telling me that there is no such hotel. I had to call people to find out. Something is certain wrong with the Qantas/jetstar administration. Joyce should give some of his $16m bonus back and rectify the situation. I really felt like I was in a third world country. On the flight home the attendant walked straight past me when taking food orders. When I caught her attention I informed her that I had paid for a meal. Checking her paperwork she said - Oh yes you have. Travelling to Australia has really gone to the pack. Oh, and the flight home was at least 40 min late. No penalty when it is the other way around.

• Angry
Everyone loves a good deal – especially when it comes to travelling or booking a flight. It's no wonder then, that budget airlines such as Jetstar have become very popular with cost-conscious travellers.

Travel plans are a tricky thing to juggle sometimes, so, when booking a flight, it’s important to make sure the airline you’re using is reliable. After all, there’s nothing worse than having your plans ruined at the last minute.

This is exactly what happened to Perth resident, Claire Bagot, who had booked a short flight with Jetstar from Perth to Adelaide, which is usually a three-hour trip.

In a video she uploaded to TikTok, Ms Bagot called out the budget airline for cancelling her flight just hours before take-off and then offering alternate flights that would take roughly half a day to get Ms Bagot to her destination.

‘If anyone wants to let me know how Jetstar is still in business, I would love that,’ she said in the clip.

View attachment 13194
Jetstar cancelled Ms Bagot’s flight hours before take-off. Credit: Pascal Borener/Pexels

‘My flight was cancelled five hours before, lovely,’ she continued before showing the two replacement flight options she was offered.

She included the alternate flight options in the video, with one departing from Perth airport at 5:30 pm, and the other one leaving at 10:45 pm.

The first option was for an 11-hour and 15-minute trip involving two flights, while the other was a nine-hour and 50-minute trip that also required two flights. We don’t know about you, but this seems a bit much, doesn’t it?

‘Eleven hours and 15 minutes or nine hours and 50 minutes for a normally three-hour flight. That’s exactly what I want to do, and still not even get there the day that I’m meant to be getting there,’ she stated.

View attachment 13192
These are the flight options that Ms Bagot received from the airline. Credit: sw4g.b1tchh/TikTok

Viewers of Ms Bagot’s post also criticised the budget airline’s mismanagement over flight cancellations, delays, and poor service.

‘Why is Jetstar so appalling, who runs it?’ One woman asked.

Another shared: ‘And they have the audacity to weigh your carry-on luggage to try and slug you for more money.’

While another said that they had the ‘exact same experience’. ‘And you have to collect your luggage and check it again during your stopover,’ they added.

‘They cancelled our GC>PER flights and gave us a lovely 8-hour stopover in MEL. At midnight. With a toddler,’ a third wrote.

This comes after previous reports of Jetstar’s mishandling of passengers’ belongings and ‘poor customer service’ sparked complaints online.

View attachment 13193
Jetstar faced backlash from travellers. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

In one instance, a group of unlucky Jetstar passengers bound for Australia were left stranded in a Japanese airport for 24 hours. They were given blankets and muesli bars as compensation for the delay. More details about that story can be found here.

In another instance, Jetstar passengers were furious when their luggage was taken off their flight without their permission – leaving them without their belongings in another country. You can read more details about this story here.

However, other TikTok users said that Ms Bagot shouldn’t be complaining. Some even suggested that passenger expectations should be managed accordingly, and others said that travellers shouldn’t rely too heavily on Jetstar because it is a budget airline.

‘You get what you pay for,’ one declared, to which Ms Bagot replied: ‘I paid 600 bucks for these flights.’

‘They literally don’t have control over most of these,’ another wrote. While another said that this circumstance ‘happens with all the Aussie airlines’.

‘You can just say you don’t want either, and you’ll get a credit or refund and can rebook a flight that works,’ they added.

‘At this point, you only have yourself to blame if you choose Jetstar,’ a fourth suggested.

And another viewer said that people have to realise that cheap airlines are ‘unreliable’. ‘It’s why it’s a low-budget airline. It’s never going to be reliable,’ the viewer commented further.

You can watch Ms Bagot’s video below:

A spokesperson told reporters: ‘We’re very sorry Claire’s flight from Perth to Adelaide had to be cancelled last week, and the inconvenience this caused.’

They added that they were doing everything they could to avoid disruptions, but unfortunately, they claimed that ‘sometimes there is no other option’.

‘Passengers were given the choice to rebook on the next available flight, which due to limited availability included both direct and indirect services, or they could opt for a refund. After being notified of the cancellation, Claire accepted a refund,’ the spokesperson explained.

According to the ACCC, services such as flights come with basic consumer rights known as consumer guarantees. This includes the guarantee that flights will be provided within a reasonable time after being delayed or cancelled. They also said that consumers may be entitled to a replacement flight or refund if a flight is delayed or cancelled depending on the circumstances.

When asked for the reason why Ms Bagot’s flight had been cancelled, the spokesperson cited crew sickness and that there were ‘no other staff available’.

Key Takeaways

• A woman has slammed Jetstar for cancelling her short flight from Perth to Adelaide five hours before take-off and then offering her alternate flights that would take up half a day to get to the destination.
  • Jetstar was criticised by viewers for flight cancellations, delays, and poor service.
  • Jetstar responded by apologising for the inconvenience caused and said the flight had been cancelled due to crew sickness, with passengers given the choice to rebook on the next available flight or opt for a refund.
Have you ever had flight mismanagement issues? Share your stories in the comments!

Somebody asked who owns Jetstar? Isn't it the cheap option for Quantas?

Reactions: Wandiwa