10 things you should never put in your dishwasher if you want it to last

The dishwasher is, we reckon, the ultimate appliance for making your life easier. If you’ve had one for a while you probably take it for granted but take it from us, it’s a bit of a hassle going back to handwashing dishes again. But despite how versatile modern dishwashers are, there are some things you should never put in there, according to cleaning coach Kelsey, who runs the popular Instagram account Life on Stacy Lane.

Kelsey said that there are certain kitchenware items that should only be hand-washed instead of being placed inside a dishwasher as the heat, water exposure, and detergents used by the appliance can damage or break the surfaces of these items.

“The dishwasher is great for so many items!” the cleaning coach wrote along with a clip showing which items we should avoid placing inside a dishwasher.

“But there are a few things that just need to be washed by hand to maintain the quality of your stuff, and to keep it looking great for years to come!”

So, if you’re looking to keep both your dishwasher and kitchenware in tiptop condition and prolong their lifespan in the process, then you might want to keep reading on to learn more about the items that you should avoid cleaning using this appliance.

Here's a list of items that you should never put in the dishwasher:

Credit: Instagram/@lifeonstacylane

1. Knives

Kelsey said that you should only hand-wash knives with soapy water.

She explained: “The dishwasher can potentially dull the blade, and a dull knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one, and [can] even cause the handle to loosen over time.”

She also noted the hazards behind washing knives using a dishwasher, saying that the kitchenware could potentially cut you while you unload the appliance, especially if you place the knife in the cutlery basket handle first.

2. Wooden cutting boards and utensils

While wooden kitchenware is best hand-washed, the cleaning coach warned against soaking them as the “hot water warps the wood and dries it out”.

She said: "To maintain, wash and dry thoroughly by hand and use a food-grade mineral oil to condition."

It should also be noted that detergent can strip the finish off.

3. Cast iron cookware

Cast iron cookware can rust if it gets wet, so it's best to hand wash it, according to Kelsey.
Additionally, hot water and detergent used by dishwashers can wear away the coating of this type of cookware.

So, if you’re looking for an easy way to clean cast iron cookware, the cleaning coach advised cleaning it with hot water and a gentle scrubber that can help scrape off food.

4. Non-stick cookware

Generally speaking, non-stick cookware can be damaged in the dishwasher. The detergent can strip the coating off and the high temperatures can warp the cookware.

However, there are a number of non-stick cookware that can be cleaned using a dishwasher as per the care instructions of the item.

Still, if you’re looking to maintain the quality of your non-stick cookware, it is best to clean them by handwashing.

"The high temps and harsh detergents over time can eat away at the special coating. My exact pots clearly state 'dishwasher safe', but I still wash mine by hand," Kelsey added.

5. Delicate items

Delicate items like crystal, china, and silver should never go in the dishwasher. They can be damaged by the detergent and the high temperatures.

J2nABOZ-omhbEHbQcqTqV09M0WwfTczxTgtLR_7UChMX5qjDtljY07BbZRKNIPQZxIxF4-6A1fxLhu1gZobing59hSHicqGBsBYnk8ZmrslkB9WGGllWd2W4y9mLZqVlTR7wEgFcv0PqD7Sv

There are a number of items that you should never clean using your dishwasher if you want to prolong the lifespan of these items and the appliance. Credit: Getty Images.

Honestly, we here at the SDC are fans of prolonging the lifespan of our appliances so we did more research on this topic and we found a couple of no-no items that are not listed in Kelsey’s advice.

So, without further ado, we would like to share five more items that you should not clean using the dishwasher:

6. Pots and pans - Pots and pans should never go in the dishwasher. They are too big and will block the spray arm from getting to all the dishes. Plus, they can damage the dishwasher.

7. Glasses and cups - Glasses and cups can break in the dishwasher, so it's best to hand wash them, especially if they’re delicate or fragile, like those fancy double-walled glass coffee cups.

3. Copper cookware - Copper cookware can discolour in the dishwasher. The detergent can also damage the finish.

4. Stainless steel cookware - Similar to copper cookware, stainless steel cookware can discolour in the dishwasher. Plus, the detergent can damage the finish.

5. Anything with food residue - Dishes with food residue should be scraped off before they go in the dishwasher. Otherwise, the food will attract bacteria and can cause problems with the dishwasher’s plumbing lines and cleaning mechanisms.

So, there you have it, folks! We hope this simple tip can help you maintain your dishwasher and kitchenware in good condition for years to come. Do you know any other tips for prolonging the lifespan of your dishwasher?

Sponsored
They are mostly just ridiculous 'rules' - why would anyone bother having a dishwasher if that was really the case? All those things get washed in dishwashers in hospitality.... dishwashers were invented for pots & pans in particular and glassware is actually less likely to get damaged in dishwashers than washing by hand ! Apart from wood - which shouldn't go in dishwashers of course (and that's because it's porous (duh!)) I'll use the different cycles for different things which dishwashers have ........

Last edited:
I agree with the first five, and maybe copper cookware (don't know as I've never owned any), but not the rest! Also don't put uncoated aluminium in the dishwasher, it eats through the surface and makes it dull. I guess there isn't much aluminium cookware around these days, but I still have a couple of vintage items that belonged to my Mum.

Reactions: Annette V and Ricci
I do put cups and glasses in and some corningware cookware but nothing else from the list. One thing I have noticed is the stamp on the back of my china has faded over the years from being in the dishwasher which I believe to be common.

Reactions: Ricci
What’s the point in having a dishwasher??
I’ve had one, only for the last 2 years. Before I did all my dishes by hand 😊.

10 things you should never put in your dishwasher if you want it to last

The dishwasher is, we reckon, the ultimate appliance for making your life easier. If you’ve had one for a while you probably take it for granted but take it from us, it’s a bit of a hassle going back to handwashing dishes again. But despite how versatile modern dishwashers are, there are some things you should never put in there, according to cleaning coach Kelsey, who runs the popular Instagram account Life on Stacy Lane.

Kelsey said that there are certain kitchenware items that should only be hand-washed instead of being placed inside a dishwasher as the heat, water exposure, and detergents used by the appliance can damage or break the surfaces of these items.

“The dishwasher is great for so many items!” the cleaning coach wrote along with a clip showing which items we should avoid placing inside a dishwasher.

“But there are a few things that just need to be washed by hand to maintain the quality of your stuff, and to keep it looking great for years to come!”

So, if you’re looking to keep both your dishwasher and kitchenware in tiptop condition and prolong their lifespan in the process, then you might want to keep reading on to learn more about the items that you should avoid cleaning using this appliance.

Here's a list of items that you should never put in the dishwasher:

Credit: Instagram/@lifeonstacylane

1. Knives

Kelsey said that you should only hand-wash knives with soapy water.

She explained: “The dishwasher can potentially dull the blade, and a dull knife is way more dangerous than a sharp one, and [can] even cause the handle to loosen over time.”

She also noted the hazards behind washing knives using a dishwasher, saying that the kitchenware could potentially cut you while you unload the appliance, especially if you place the knife in the cutlery basket handle first.

2. Wooden cutting boards and utensils

While wooden kitchenware is best hand-washed, the cleaning coach warned against soaking them as the “hot water warps the wood and dries it out”.

She said: "To maintain, wash and dry thoroughly by hand and use a food-grade mineral oil to condition."

It should also be noted that detergent can strip the finish off.

3. Cast iron cookware

Cast iron cookware can rust if it gets wet, so it's best to hand wash it, according to Kelsey.
Additionally, hot water and detergent used by dishwashers can wear away the coating of this type of cookware.

So, if you’re looking for an easy way to clean cast iron cookware, the cleaning coach advised cleaning it with hot water and a gentle scrubber that can help scrape off food.

4. Non-stick cookware

Generally speaking, non-stick cookware can be damaged in the dishwasher. The detergent can strip the coating off and the high temperatures can warp the cookware.

However, there are a number of non-stick cookware that can be cleaned using a dishwasher as per the care instructions of the item.

Still, if you’re looking to maintain the quality of your non-stick cookware, it is best to clean them by handwashing.

"The high temps and harsh detergents over time can eat away at the special coating. My exact pots clearly state 'dishwasher safe', but I still wash mine by hand," Kelsey added.

5. Delicate items

Delicate items like crystal, china, and silver should never go in the dishwasher. They can be damaged by the detergent and the high temperatures.

J2nABOZ-omhbEHbQcqTqV09M0WwfTczxTgtLR_7UChMX5qjDtljY07BbZRKNIPQZxIxF4-6A1fxLhu1gZobing59hSHicqGBsBYnk8ZmrslkB9WGGllWd2W4y9mLZqVlTR7wEgFcv0PqD7Sv

There are a number of items that you should never clean using your dishwasher if you want to prolong the lifespan of these items and the appliance. Credit: Getty Images.

Honestly, we here at the SDC are fans of prolonging the lifespan of our appliances so we did more research on this topic and we found a couple of no-no items that are not listed in Kelsey’s advice.

So, without further ado, we would like to share five more items that you should not clean using the dishwasher:

6. Pots and pans - Pots and pans should never go in the dishwasher. They are too big and will block the spray arm from getting to all the dishes. Plus, they can damage the dishwasher.

7. Glasses and cups - Glasses and cups can break in the dishwasher, so it's best to hand wash them, especially if they’re delicate or fragile, like those fancy double-walled glass coffee cups.

3. Copper cookware - Copper cookware can discolour in the dishwasher. The detergent can also damage the finish.

4. Stainless steel cookware - Similar to copper cookware, stainless steel cookware can discolour in the dishwasher. Plus, the detergent can damage the finish.

5. Anything with food residue - Dishes with food residue should be scraped off before they go in the dishwasher. Otherwise, the food will attract bacteria and can cause problems with the dishwasher’s plumbing lines and cleaning mechanisms.

So, there you have it, folks! We hope this simple tip can help you maintain your dishwasher and kitchenware in good condition for years to come. Do you know any other tips for prolonging the lifespan of your dishwasher?

With this list of no no’s why would you use a dishwasher at all? What can you put in the machine? Logically wood and sharp knives should be hand washed but crystal, delicate cups etc can go in on a gentle cycle with liquid detergent. Stainless steel cutlery, saucepans and Airfryer baskets when there is room are regulars in mine on normal cycles.