10 surprising kitchen mistakes draining your wallet every day

The kitchen is the heart of the home, where meals are prepared and memories are made. But did you know it could also be where you're unknowingly wasting money?

Small habits and overlooked details can add to significant spending on groceries, utilities, and more.

Let's explore 10 ways you might unknowingly waste money in your kitchen and how to fix them.

1. Ignoring Your Fridge Coils

The fridge coils, often hidden and forgotten, can be a silent money drain. When covered in dust and grime, they can make your fridge less efficient, leading to higher power bills.

According to Fast Fridge Repairs, dirty coils could add $15 to $20 to your monthly power bill. Regular cleaning of these coils can help your fridge run more efficiently and save you money in the long run.

jason-briscoe-7MAjXGUmaPw-unsplash.jpg
Ten kitchen mistakes make you spend more. Credit: Unsplash

2. Overlooking Your Pantry Before Grocery Shopping

Before heading out for your grocery shopping, take a moment to check what you already have in your pantry and fridge.

This simple habit can prevent you from doubling up on items, especially perishable ones that need to be used quickly.

A well-planned shopping list can save you from unnecessary spending and reduce food waste.

3. Mismanaging Food Storage

Proper food storage is key to extending the shelf life of your groceries.

From using airtight containers to storing milk in the right section of the fridge, these small steps can prevent food from spoiling prematurely.

This means you won't have to replace items as frequently, saving you money.

4. Misunderstanding 'Use By' and 'Best Before' Dates

Many confuse 'use by' and 'best before' dates, leading to unnecessary food waste.

While 'use by' labels indicate when a product may no longer be safe to eat past a certain date, 'best before' dates simply suggest when the product may lose its quality.

Understanding these labels can help you make the most of your groceries and avoid throwing away perfectly good food.

According to Dr Rozita Vaskoska, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's (CSIRO) Consumer Food Safety Spokesperson, ‘The use-by dates are very firm. The product shouldn't be used (past that date).'

But when it comes to ‘best before’ dates, she said that ‘they reflect the quality will drop after that date, it doesn’t mean it will be unsafe to use’.

5. Relying on Disposables Instead of Reusables

While paper towels, plastic wrap, and snap-lock bags are convenient, they can also be a constant drain on your budget by having you go for replacements as soon as they run out.

Consider investing in reusable alternatives like cloth towels, silicone ziplock bags, and glass containers. Not only are these options more environmentally friendly, but they can also save you money in the long run.

6. Pre-rinsing Dishes

Contrary to popular belief, pre-rinsing dishes before loading them into the dishwasher is not necessary.

This habit wastes a significant amount of water, leading to higher utility bills. Moreover, modern dishwashers are designed to detect the level of dirt on dishes and adjust their cleaning cycle accordingly.

By skipping the pre-rinse, you can save water and ensure your dishwasher cleans effectively.

7. Leaving Appliances on Standby

Leaving appliances like your microwave on standby may seem harmless, but it's actually using more power than you're paying for.

By turning off these appliances at the wall, you could save yourself $100 to $150 annually, according to Simply Energy.

A safer alternative is to invest in a ‘smart power board’. These devices are specifically designed to detect when an appliance should be cut off from its energy supply and then turn it off.

8. Overusing Cleaning Products

When it comes to cleaning products, less is often more. Overusing products like dishwashing powder and washing-up detergent not only leads to unnecessary spending but can also be less effective.

By using these products sparingly, you can make them last longer and save money.

9. Ignoring Leaky Taps

A leaking tap might seem like a minor annoyance, but it can lead to significant water waste over time. Some services estimate that a leaky tap can lead to about 260 litres of water lost yearly, amounting up to $200 in excess charges in the same time.

Fixing leaks promptly can save you money and conserve water, a precious resource.

10. Overusing the Oven

The oven is the most expensive cooking appliance in the kitchen. Consider using smaller appliances like the microwave or toaster where possible.

According to CHOICE, smaller appliances cost less to run, especially if they don't require pre-heating.

10 Kitchen Mistakes That Drains Your Wallet.jpg

While we've highlighted the top 10 ways you might be wasting money in your kitchen, it's also important to understand the hidden costs associated with your kitchen appliances.

Regular maintenance and timely repairs can help ensure your appliances are running efficiently, saving you money in the long run.

Moreover, when it's time to replace an appliance, consider investing in energy-efficient models. While these may cost more upfront, they can save you money in the long term through lower energy bills.
Key Takeaways
  • Keeping fridge coils clean can save $15 to $20 on your power bill each month by increasing appliance efficiency.
  • Checking existing food supplies before grocery shopping prevents doubling up on items, especially perishables, and can reduce food waste and overspending.
  • Correct food storage and understanding the difference between 'use by' and 'best before' dates can prolong food lifespans, preventing premature disposal and unnecessary repurchasing.
  • Utilising reusable items, fixing leaks, turning off standby appliances, using appropriate amounts of cleaning products, and opting for smaller cooking appliances can lead to significant savings on household expenses.
What other kitchen budget-saving tips do you do? Let us know your thoughts and any additional tips you might have in the comments below!

Sponsored
I love those Goliath Slider Bags from Aldi for dividing up food portions or marinating.

View attachment 38212

At about $2.69 for a 25 pack or about 11 cents each. Reusable if you wish and leakproof.
These look good Veggi must get some. My son, of course (single & big income) buys all these fancy compostable bags for the fridge etc. I try to use my seal up glass bowls etc. I get all tangled up in plastic wrap, quite a sight sometimes & that’s before I’ve managed to fully open the the box.

We are very careful with electricity. Only use the necessary lights on. Our electric oven is built in so there is no way we can turn that off plus it has a clock so that would be inconvenient then the Microwave is is almost built being on a shelf at eye level for me and the power point is behind so no way to get to and turn that off also has a clock. The TV and recorder are really the only items I could turn off so the little amount that draws on electricity it is left on and for the amount quoted we could save would not make all that difference to us. We have an electric clock in the bedroom which is left on all day too

We are very careful with electricity. Only use the necessary lights on. Our electric oven is built in so there is no way we can turn that off plus it has a clock so that would be inconvenient then the Microwave is is almost built being on a shelf at eye level for me and the power point is behind so no way to get to and turn that off also has a clock. The TV and recorder are really the only items I could turn off so the little amount that draws on electricity it is left on and for the amount quoted we could save would not make all that difference to us. We have an electric clock in the bedroom which is left on all day too
I know what you mean maggiej I’d have to be a contortionist to turn off every appliance, especially the main tv. I often record movies etc overnight. I do turn the microwave off after each use but the kettle is ready to go for whoever stumbles out to make early coffee. You can only manage to do so much.

These look good Veggi must get some. My son, of course (single & big income) buys all these fancy compostable bags for the fridge etc. I try to use my seal up glass bowls etc. I get all tangled up in plastic wrap, quite a sight sometimes & that’s before I’ve managed to fully open the the box.
I'm always here to help and give out tips.... well, hopefully!

• Love
Reactions: Observer and PattiB
The kitchen is the heart of the home, where meals are prepared and memories are made. But did you know it could also be where you're unknowingly wasting money?

Small habits and overlooked details can add to significant spending on groceries, utilities, and more.

Let's explore 10 ways you might unknowingly waste money in your kitchen and how to fix them.

1. Ignoring Your Fridge Coils

The fridge coils, often hidden and forgotten, can be a silent money drain. When covered in dust and grime, they can make your fridge less efficient, leading to higher power bills.

According to Fast Fridge Repairs, dirty coils could add $15 to $20 to your monthly power bill. Regular cleaning of these coils can help your fridge run more efficiently and save you money in the long run.

View attachment 37766
Ten kitchen mistakes make you spend more. Credit: Unsplash

2. Overlooking Your Pantry Before Grocery Shopping

Before heading out for your grocery shopping, take a moment to check what you already have in your pantry and fridge.

This simple habit can prevent you from doubling up on items, especially perishable ones that need to be used quickly.

A well-planned shopping list can save you from unnecessary spending and reduce food waste.

3. Mismanaging Food Storage

Proper food storage is key to extending the shelf life of your groceries.

From using airtight containers to storing milk in the right section of the fridge, these small steps can prevent food from spoiling prematurely.

This means you won't have to replace items as frequently, saving you money.

4. Misunderstanding 'Use By' and 'Best Before' Dates

Many confuse 'use by' and 'best before' dates, leading to unnecessary food waste.

While 'use by' labels indicate when a product may no longer be safe to eat past a certain date, 'best before' dates simply suggest when the product may lose its quality.

Understanding these labels can help you make the most of your groceries and avoid throwing away perfectly good food.

According to Dr Rozita Vaskoska, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's (CSIRO) Consumer Food Safety Spokesperson, ‘The use-by dates are very firm. The product shouldn't be used (past that date).'

But when it comes to ‘best before’ dates, she said that ‘they reflect the quality will drop after that date, it doesn’t mean it will be unsafe to use’.

5. Relying on Disposables Instead of Reusables

While paper towels, plastic wrap, and snap-lock bags are convenient, they can also be a constant drain on your budget by having you go for replacements as soon as they run out.

Consider investing in reusable alternatives like cloth towels, silicone ziplock bags, and glass containers. Not only are these options more environmentally friendly, but they can also save you money in the long run.

6. Pre-rinsing Dishes

Contrary to popular belief, pre-rinsing dishes before loading them into the dishwasher is not necessary.

This habit wastes a significant amount of water, leading to higher utility bills. Moreover, modern dishwashers are designed to detect the level of dirt on dishes and adjust their cleaning cycle accordingly.

By skipping the pre-rinse, you can save water and ensure your dishwasher cleans effectively.

7. Leaving Appliances on Standby

Leaving appliances like your microwave on standby may seem harmless, but it's actually using more power than you're paying for.

By turning off these appliances at the wall, you could save yourself $100 to $150 annually, according to Simply Energy.

A safer alternative is to invest in a ‘smart power board’. These devices are specifically designed to detect when an appliance should be cut off from its energy supply and then turn it off.

8. Overusing Cleaning Products

When it comes to cleaning products, less is often more. Overusing products like dishwashing powder and washing-up detergent not only leads to unnecessary spending but can also be less effective.

By using these products sparingly, you can make them last longer and save money.

9. Ignoring Leaky Taps

A leaking tap might seem like a minor annoyance, but it can lead to significant water waste over time. Some services estimate that a leaky tap can lead to about 260 litres of water lost yearly, amounting up to $200 in excess charges in the same time.

Fixing leaks promptly can save you money and conserve water, a precious resource.

10. Overusing the Oven

The oven is the most expensive cooking appliance in the kitchen. Consider using smaller appliances like the microwave or toaster where possible.

According to CHOICE, smaller appliances cost less to run, especially if they don't require pre-heating.

View attachment 37767

While we've highlighted the top 10 ways you might be wasting money in your kitchen, it's also important to understand the hidden costs associated with your kitchen appliances.

Regular maintenance and timely repairs can help ensure your appliances are running efficiently, saving you money in the long run.

Moreover, when it's time to replace an appliance, consider investing in energy-efficient models. While these may cost more upfront, they can save you money in the long term through lower energy bills.
Key Takeaways

• Keeping fridge coils clean can save $15 to $20 on your power bill each month by increasing appliance efficiency.
  • Checking existing food supplies before grocery shopping prevents doubling up on items, especially perishables, and can reduce food waste and overspending.
  • Correct food storage and understanding the difference between 'use by' and 'best before' dates can prolong food lifespans, preventing premature disposal and unnecessary repurchasing.
  • Utilising reusable items, fixing leaks, turning off standby appliances, using appropriate amounts of cleaning products, and opting for smaller cooking appliances can lead to significant savings on household expenses.
What other kitchen budget-saving tips do you do? Let us know your thoughts and any additional tips you might have in the comments below!
These are very useful ideas but I have one protest to make. How do you clean your fridge coils. I assume they are at the back so how do I get to them? Many Fridges are placed in a nook especially designed for them. They are virtually unmovable.

Haven’t had a clock or a lamp in bedroom for years found I just don’t require them. But I do have a t.v. I mean ya gotta have a t.v. Don’t ya.🤣

I’m so tired of being told to turn the microwave off when it’s not being used. How many microwaves have the plug at the back of the cupboard making it in accessible?
I would guess every single one in a built in cupboard.
Can’t turn the TV off as it will lose all its current date and time settings.

I’m so tired of being told to turn the microwave off when it’s not being used. How many microwaves have the plug at the back of the cupboard making it in accessible?
My microwave sits on my bench and yes I do turn it off after every use.t.v I don’t as you say you lose all your data.my fridge/freezer has an enclosed back so no coils showing just wipe down too easy and so light to move. Even for this granny.🤣

Reactions: Observer
My microwave sits on my bench and yes I do turn it off after every use.t.v I don’t as you say you lose all your data.my fridge/freezer has an enclosed back so no coils showing just wipe down too easy and so light to move. Even for this granny.🤣
My microwave sits on a bench so is easy to turn off. I have more to do than worry about turning stuff off especially when it’s hard to get too. I wonder how much money you actually save, my son says not a lot over a year. Maybe someone out there knows. I tend to use whatever I need too whenever. My husband & I set up an automatic deduction from our bank into our Hydro account each month so we are usually in credit. We can reduce the amount deducted or skip a payment if we need to. Our reverse cycle heat pump runs most of the year, it’s cold in Tassie, though I do try to avoid the air conditioning as it upsets my asthma.

Don’t worry about it Mika. Lots of people’s advice just doesn’t apply to some of us, well that’s my thinking anyway. 😇