10 emojis that give away your age - and what they really mean

When it comes to technology and social media, we here at the Seniors Discount Club love our smartphones and tablets as much as anyone else. But even though we’re fully plugged into the digital world, there are still some things about modern life that leave us feeling a bit bewildered.

Emoji usage is one of them.

Most people use these fun little symbols without giving them too much thought; they add visual interest to texts and messages and help convey meaning in a more fun and relatable way than words alone can do.

But believe it or not, there’s quite a lot of etiquette that goes along with using emojis! Not everyone uses them in the same way – which can sometimes lead to misunderstandings between people of different generations.

emoji1.JPG
Do you have a favourite emoji? Credit: Roman Odintsov in Pexels

In a popular Reddit post, a 20-year-old Gen Z-er asked: ‘Am I not adult enough to be comfortable with the “thumbs up” emoji reaction?’ and it prompted many others to share how they feel about the issue.

According to the user, they recently started a ‘professional’ job where they use Microsoft Teams to communicate with their team. They go on further to state that currently, there are very few emojis that they can use to react to a message. ‘Most people at work use the “thumbs up” reaction all the time. I don’t use it much.’ They explained.

The user was quick to clarify that they think it’s ‘normal’ to ‘thumbs up’ the messages, but that they feel unsettled by it. ‘Does anyone else feel this way?’ They ask their audience.

This thread gained hundreds of responses, and many validated what the user was feeling. One person wrote: ‘For younger people (I’m 24 for reference) the thumbs up emoji is used to be really passive-aggressive.’

emoji2.JPG
Do you agree that a ‘thumbs up’ reaction is a passive-aggressive response? Credit: cottonbro in Pexels

Someone else chimed in and said ‘It’s super rude if someone just sends you a thumbs up. So, I also had a weird time adjusting because my workplace is the same.’ They went on further to explain that there tends to be a generational communication difference when it comes to using emojis.

However, not everyone agreed with this stance. ‘Why do you feel like it’s unsettling? Honest question... because that’s literally how I respond to 90 per cent of messages... I’m almost 40 though, so I wonder if it’s a generational thing.’ One person wrote in the comments. They even stated that they’d feel more unsettled if they were sent a ‘heart reaction’.

Another user supported this statement with: ‘Agree, to me the heart is reserved for friends and family, and has a more intimate meaning of love, while “thumbs up” is just simply agreeing. I’m 43.’

In a survey of 2,000 people made by Perspectus Global, it was revealed that people aged 16-29 think it’s a bit outdated to use the ‘thumbs up’ or ‘heart emoji’. Some of the emojis that made this list are:

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Loudly crying face’.
  • The ‘Monkey eye cover’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

emoji3.JPG
Some of these emojis give away your age. Credit: Shutterstock

Key Takeaways

• Gen Z folk have stated that using the ‘thumbs up’ emoji is kind of ‘rude’.
  • This debate comes after a Reddit user asked if it is normal to ‘thumbs up’ messages.
  • Many commenters said that for younger people, the ‘thumbs up’ emoji conveys passive-aggressiveness.
  • A survey of 2000 people by Perspectus Global found that most people aged 16-29 think that using the ‘thumbs up’ or ‘heart emoji’ is outdated.

Well, dear readers. What can you say about this story? Do you agree that using a ‘thumbs up’ reaction is ‘rude’? Or is it normal to send this emoji to friends and family? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!

Sponsored
When it comes to technology and social media, we here at the Seniors Discount Club love our smartphones and tablets as much as anyone else. But even though we’re fully plugged into the digital world, there are still some things about modern life that leave us feeling a bit bewildered.

Most people use these fun little symbols without giving them too much thought; they add visual interest to texts and messages and help convey meaning in a more fun and relatable way than words alone can do.

But believe it or not, there’s quite a lot of etiquette that goes along with using emojis! Not everyone uses them in the same way – which can sometimes lead to misunderstandings between people of different generations.

View attachment 7422

In a popular Reddit post, a 20-year-old Gen Z-er asked: ‘Am I not adult enough to be comfortable with the “thumbs up” emoji reaction?’ and it prompted many others to share how they feel about the issue.

According to the user, they recently started a ‘professional’ job where they use Microsoft Teams to communicate with their team. They go on further to state that currently, there are very few emojis that they can use to react to a message. ‘Most people at work use the “thumbs up” reaction all the time. I don’t use it much.’ They explained.

The user was quick to clarify that they think it’s ‘normal’ to ‘thumbs up’ the messages, but that they feel unsettled by it. ‘Does anyone else feel this way?’ They ask their audience.

This thread gained hundreds of responses, and many validated what the user was feeling. One person wrote: ‘For younger people (I’m 24 for reference) the thumbs up emoji is used to be really passive-aggressive.’

View attachment 7423
Do you agree that a ‘thumbs up’ reaction is a passive-aggressive response? Credit: cottonbro in Pexels

Someone else chimed in and said ‘It’s super rude if someone just sends you a thumbs up. So, I also had a weird time adjusting because my workplace is the same.’ They went on further to explain that there tends to be a generational communication difference when it comes to using emojis.

However, not everyone agreed with this stance. ‘Why do you feel like it’s unsettling? Honest question... because that’s literally how I respond to 90 per cent of messages... I’m almost 40 though, so I wonder if it’s a generational thing.’ One person wrote in the comments. They even stated that they’d feel more unsettled if they were sent a ‘heart reaction’.

Another user supported this statement with: ‘Agree, to me the heart is reserved for friends and family, and has a more intimate meaning of love, while “thumbs up” is just simply agreeing. I’m 43.’

In a survey of 2,000 people made by Perspectus Global, it was revealed that people aged 16-29 think it’s a bit outdated to use the ‘thumbs up’ or ‘heart emoji’. Some of the emojis that made this list are:

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

• This debate comes after a Reddit user asked if it is normal to ‘thumbs up’ messages.
  • Many commenters said that for younger people, the ‘thumbs up’ emoji conveys passive-aggressiveness.
  • A survey of 2000 people by Perspectus Global found that most people aged 16-29 think that using the ‘thumbs up’ or ‘heart emoji’ is outdated.

Well, dear readers. What can you say about this story? Do you agree that using a ‘thumbs up’ reaction is ‘rude’? Or is it normal to send this emoji to friends and family? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section!
Of course it's not rude, how absolutely ridiculous. I hold my finger on the thumbs up emoji until it's as big as I can get it. I'm 68 years of age and love it!
So for all you precious people out there that think it's rude, really???

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7423

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

I can remember when giving the thumbs-up, was the same as giving the British two-fingered salute

Of course it's not rude, how absolutely ridiculous. I hold my finger on the thumbs up emoji until it's as big as I can get it. I'm 68 years of age and love it!
I agree, 67 here. It's acknowledging. Simple as that. Actually I find a lot of their list above is more offensive/rude. It surprises me how the young are forever inventing new meanings for words that have existed forever. Find a new word altogether to stop confusion of intended meaning.

What?? 😳 so I must be very rude, as I use the thumbs up all the time 😂
It shows our age?? So what, my friends and family know it 😉😉
Young ones, let us be in peace with whatever emojies we share in our social pages!! Would you like us “oldies” to tell you about good manners or how to behave yourselves?? I don’t think you would. So, let us be, please, ok?? 🤭🤭🤭

I can remember when giving the thumbs-up, was the same as giving the British two-fingered salute
So can I; received 'the cuts' for allegedly making that signal during a Scripture class in 5th Grade. I don't remember doing so, nor even knowing what the allegedly-offensive gesture was supposed to mean, but I do remember the hatchet-faced spinster-biddy (think of the boiler on the pushbike at the beginning of The Wizard Of Oz "I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog, too!") gleefully handing me over to the Deputy Principal for the caning. She'd probably be 120-something by now if she hasn't already met a violent end.

In retrospect, I rather wish there was an emoji for "Brown-eye".....

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7423

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

Seriously. Pls I need an emoji dictionary 🤷‍♀️

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7423

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

👍

• Love
Reactions: Bellclare and Ricci
Who in their right mind would actually listen to Gen Z, pack of air heads. Thumbs up being rude, why ? what do they think it means, something dumb I bet. I'm under the impression it means OK, I understand, or yes, so where is the RUDE.

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7423

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

Emojis are a way to communicate with other people accepting what they wrote o no and like many other things are evolving and changing !!!

Emojis are a way to communicate with other people accepting what they wrote o no and like many other things are evolving and changing !!!
Are we still discussing this, when Churchill used the two-fingered sign with the palm facing you it was V for Victory. When It was used with the palm up and the palm was in an upward it meant get F***ed. In Australia at the same time, the closed fist with the thumb up was the Australian equivalent. As I found out when I came to Australia in the 1950s The same the use of the term bastard in Australia was generally a term of endearment, In Britain, it was fighting talk/words, which was a bit of a confusing Bastard. For some reason unknown I put the 1980's which was erroneous I have edited it to the correct era.
What an utter Bastard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7423

• The ‘OK hand’.
  • The ‘Tick’.
  • The ‘Poo’.
  • The ‘Clapping hands’.
  • The ‘Lipstick Kiss.’
  • The ‘Grimacing face’.

View attachment 7424

Key Takeaways

Thumbs up is an indication that’s she’s right mate or alls good maybe it is a generation thing but thats some people cut don’t get it

Since I was a kid I've always seen it as an "up yours" act/symbol.

• Wow