“The best Kmart hack ever!”: Kmart fan reveals how she transformed an old dining table into a top-dollar piece of furniture using an unlikely $19 buy

“The best Kmart hack ever!”: Kmart fan reveals how she transformed an old dining table into a top-dollar piece of furniture using an unlikely $19 buy
A Kmart fan's transformation of an outdated, broken dining table into a designer piece using an unlikely $19 buy has gained traction on social media.

U1axoAVh5SOKgE_cVEDzzzBVMi1TnbSwcBSjUr668dO6cTal02eFdQY6n8NbEjvMR8pMCapDSdh5_IGvPk-YVJRHRAO4gz4ttzozrtl-fyqETu9cMj5XKRfEaWHrefWrM-dO-_k

Kmart shopper Tara revealed how she transformed an old dining table she bought online into a ritzy-looking piece by using an unlikely $19 buy from the retail giant. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

DIY enthusiast Tara took to Facebook to share how she transformed an old long oval table she bought online into a posh-looking furniture piece by only using four of Kmart's $19 Ribbed Storage Ottomans.

“I turned a $40 marketplace find into what I think is a beautiful dining table,” she wrote in a post on Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia page.

“I used four of the Kmart ottomans stacked (cut down slightly) with a timber frame inside as the legs. To hide the join I used some gold-painted aluminium strip trim."

“It was all a labour of love but I’m happy with the outcome.”

AywP_zheeLSPlbqkV2WgCRKD8tzBwyDr2YcWX3cMHQJOw242tKAngPidfYLbdd1gVOSA23uQR_UAQZGqTkMYmoEcbKfyIRRdxl5u_ywM8mxJKRoGndk4h6CwqxP1vGlvv7klXVI

A photo of the dining table before Tara gave it a makeover. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

Tara then revealed that she made the intricate herringbone pattern on the tabletop using strips of plywood.

Tara said: “Then I just glued everything down with liquid nails and used my nail gun in some pieces (mostly where the extension of the table was). Whitewashed the lot and coated with a benchtop clear.”

-D2JxqFa4Nsn0oZPUg0n_VmDSqNBxLWmTsPNIQ21HSlfJXwHgTY1T-Qwo5gUDjyE83VzYeVb1MS83gGeNlA-C0Ir4I3ZmZdVL_4VnRQwQffWJhdUSgDv-Yy2XKVmLdP1c4zsBcU

The intricate herringbone pattern on the tabletop was made with 7mm strips of plywood, according to Tara. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

Fellow Kmart fans and DIY enthusiasts swooned over the show-stopping table, with several hailing it as the "best Kmart hack ever".

One Facebook user wrote: “It literally looks like it’s from a luxury furniture store. Great job!”

“Wow! That’s the best and most beautiful Kmart hack I’ve ever seen! Well done!” added another.

A third wrote: “You need to open a store!”

“WOW, just WOW. Probably the best Kmart hack ever," added one more.

The Kmart fan also shared that her dining chairs and table accessories were all purchased from the retail giant "a while back".

Do you know of any DIY hacks that turn old furniture into a ritzy piece? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Reactions: Itene
Sponsored
Obviously it was NOT just a $19 buy.
I cannot stand false information!!
I agree with you berylrenton. The cost of the aluminium strips, the white wash paint, the cost of the plywood, cost of the clear lacquer,cost of purchasing liquid nails....this needs to be added into the cost as well as the $19 for "each" of the four ottomans ($79)

Why be picky. She has doe it and it looks good. If you are envious go and try something similar yourself. You will find any number of broken or discarded tables at any recycling centre attached to the local rubbish/land fill site. Normally known as 'The Tip Shop' and try your hand.

Why be picky. She has doe it and it looks good. If you are envious go and try something similar yourself. You will find any number of broken or discarded tables at any recycling centre attached to the local rubbish/land fill site. Normally known as 'The Tip Shop' and try your hand.
That is not the point at all.

Reactions: Dave5290 and Peppa