“My kids curse. A lot.”: Parenting video goes viral on TikTok

A parent-of-eight’s video has gone viral on TikTok for their controversial parenting rules, which include allowing kids to take a mental health day off from school, not imposing any traditional gender roles, and letting the kids curse as much as they want.

Do you agree with them?

lqk472Tt3sVJ3f1eZsOCVRsMDylI7ElLChkPvY1jsFk76FaoFmYImMTHSkKa-ASD_NiPuvFANLfqwGfkMo7KuUyBzeY6IPNC2d1NtHECvTRsewECcOk5r9k_r5Ev7Rdh_HkGEuFv

Credit: Instagram/@cptsdwhisperer.

The therapist, who goes by the username @cptsdwhisperer on Instagram and TikTok, said that people have been trolling them online for their parenting style.

However, their video, which has gained over 1.1M views and 206.7K likes since last month, was flooded with comments from fellow parents who support her.

One person wrote: “I feel like it’s better to teach kids what situations it’s not okay to curse, rather than say ‘Don’t do it at all’ for sure.”

“No, because kids are gonna cuss. There’s no point in trying to stop it, as long as they aren’t yelling obscenities in public,” said another user in the comments section.

Another parent supported the therapist, saying, “I can’t believe it’s controversial to treat your kids as human beings and with respect. You’re doing great!”

One mum inquired about her ‘rule’ and asked: “Totally curious, do you implement the idea behind a time and place for it? Or is it kind of a free for all?” to which the TikTok user responded, saying: “Cursing? Time and place, the same practice most adults use.”

Aside from her ‘swearing’ rule, parents commended her other tips.

One dad wrote: “I think it is really good to let kids skip a day or two of school. Adults think they don't get as overwhelmed as we do,” while another user added, “My mother allowed us to take at minimum one mental health day a school term. My attendance was never better than that.”

After their video went viral, the parent posted more videos of their parenting ‘style’ on TikTok.

In the second video, they wrote that their kids “do NOT have to sit on Santa’s lap”, and they “do not have to hug/kiss anyone unless they want to”. These are followed by the advice that their kids’ bodies are their own; hence the choices should be their own as well.

They also said that they encourage their kids to be more open with their gender identity and self-expression.

They also added that grades in school are “insignificant” and that effort is what matters.

Many fellow parents agree with the TikTok user, while some users wrote that they wished they had this kind of guidance growing up.

What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Gladly or maybe sadly I'm from an older generation, for much of my life I never heard a woman use the f word, and was horrified when I did.
My wife never heard me use sexually implicit "swear words" until our dotage years and then only rarely when used in jokes.
My children learned that there was a time and place for everything, especially swearing, as they were growing up and mainly by example.
This modern family are not doing their kids any favours... :rolleyes:

A parent-of-eight’s video has gone viral on TikTok for their controversial parenting rules, which include allowing kids to take a mental health day off from school, not imposing any traditional gender roles, and letting the kids curse as much as they want.

Do you agree with them?

lqk472Tt3sVJ3f1eZsOCVRsMDylI7ElLChkPvY1jsFk76FaoFmYImMTHSkKa-ASD_NiPuvFANLfqwGfkMo7KuUyBzeY6IPNC2d1NtHECvTRsewECcOk5r9k_r5Ev7Rdh_HkGEuFv

The therapist, who goes by the username @cptsdwhisperer on Instagram and TikTok, said that people have been trolling them online for their parenting style.

However, their video, which has gained over 1.1M views and 206.7K likes since last month, was flooded with comments from fellow parents who support her.

One person wrote: “I feel like it’s better to teach kids what situations it’s not okay to curse, rather than say ‘Don’t do it at all’ for sure.”

“No, because kids are gonna cuss. There’s no point in trying to stop it, as long as they aren’t yelling obscenities in public,” said another user in the comments section.

Another parent supported the therapist, saying, “I can’t believe it’s controversial to treat your kids as human beings and with respect. You’re doing great!”

One mum inquired about her ‘rule’ and asked: “Totally curious, do you implement the idea behind a time and place for it? Or is it kind of a free for all?” to which the TikTok user responded, saying: “Cursing? Time and place, the same practice most adults use.”

One dad wrote: “I think it is really good to let kids skip a day or two of school. Adults think they don't get as overwhelmed as we do,” while another user added, “My mother allowed us to take at minimum one mental health day a school term. My attendance was never better than that.”

After their video went viral, the parent posted more videos of their parenting ‘style’ on TikTok.

In the second video, they wrote that their kids “do NOT have to sit on Santa’s lap”, and they “do not have to hug/kiss anyone unless they want to”. These are followed by the advice that their kids’ bodies are their own; hence the choices should be their own as well.

They also said that they encourage their kids to be more open with their gender identity and self-expression.

They also added that grades in school are “insignificant” and that effort is what matters.

Many fellow parents agree with the TikTok user, while some users wrote that they wished they had this kind of guidance growing up.

I would never ever ever use TikTok...way toooo dangerous...the way they use their algorithms is atrocious. It's akin to spying on users. On 4 Corners last year they featured TikTok and how bad the app is. It was a real eye-opener, every parent should know about it.

Do you agree with them?

I would never ever ever use TikTok...way toooo dangerous...the way they use their algorithms is atrocious. It's akin to spying on users. On 4 Corners last year they featured TikTok and how bad the app is. It was a real eye-opener, every parent should know about it.

I too am an old schooler and prefer kids not swear , but these days it is just natural to do so. As long as these kids know when and where and are respectful of others, the parenting style is theirs. Having a less stressed generation may be a good thing. I dont really see the need to swear in everyday conversations, but there it is.

Gladly or maybe sadly I'm from an older generation, for much of my life I never heard a woman use the f word, and was horrified when I did.
My wife never heard me use sexually implicit "swear words" until our dotage years and then only rarely when used in jokes.
My children learned that there was a time and place for everything, especially swearing, as they were growing up and mainly by example.
This modern family are not doing their kids any favours... :rolleyes:
Unfortunately cursing seems to be the norm. Was lunching with two sisters and 18 yo grandson when he told a story which inclued f word then contined with "pardon the French" Bullshit. He didnt feel the f word was bad was apologising for saying Bulshit. We all laughed as we are fairly non swearing and he is a most caring, compassionate young man. Perception is everything.

Reactions: Ricci
... help these youngsters. Surely saying 'monkey's love' (not to offend animals) does not lead to anything good. Young generation has so little respect to people around them. Help them before it is too late.

Children are growing up hearing their parents swear vulgarities and watching movies with them used all the time so they don't think they are doing anything wrong. Perhaps the movie makers should re-asses the damage they are doing? I grew up in a household where men respected their women and didn't swear in front of them. I remember my brother coming home from school one day when he was 6 years old and used the "C" word. I thought my dad's head would explode and he grabbed my brother by the collar and took him to the sink and washed his mouth out with soap. He told my brother to show more respect for his elders and women. Just because you hear something spoken doesn't mean it is the correct thing to to. This world has gone the way of Soddom and Gomorrah and look what happened to them. I am not religeous but I do feel that we need to take a good look at the damage done by allowing children so much freedom from instruction of how to be a decent human being and being a poor example.

Reactions: terri and Ricci
Children are growing up hearing their parents swear vulgarities and watching movies with them used all the time so they don't think they are doing anything wrong. Perhaps the movie makers should re-asses the damage they are doing? I grew up in a household where men respected their women and didn't swear in front of them. I remember my brother coming home from school one day when he was 6 years old and used the "C" word. I thought my dad's head would explode and he grabbed my brother by the collar and took him to the sink and washed his mouth out with soap. He told my brother to show more respect for his elders and women. Just because you hear something spoken doesn't mean it is the correct thing to to. This world has gone the way of Soddom and Gomorrah and look what happened to them. I am not religeous but I do feel that we need to take a good look at the damage done by allowing children so much freedom from instruction of how to be a decent human being and being a poor example.
I once washed my sons mouth out with soap. What a debacle, he's been taller than me since he was 12. The bathroom walls and floor, him and I all got liberally doused in soapy water and to this day I'm not sure how much went in his mouth! Still, I think I got the message across as he sure cleaned up his act from then on and has been a perfect gentleman since. We can now laugh about it!:):ROFLMAO:

"Children should be seen and not heard" was the order of the day in the 50's and 60's and swearing was unheard of except from drunks and people regarded as undisciplined low-life and NEVER from a woman.
Today I see "child directed parenting" where kids do whatever they want. I even heard a 4 yo say to his grandfather"f... of turkey" and lack of respect is now the order of the day. How refreshing is it when we (rarely) receive respect from young people.