“It could’ve been a lot worse”: Kmart shopper issues an urgent warning after his son got injured at his local store

“It could’ve been a lot worse”: Kmart shopper issues an urgent warning after his son got injured at his local store
A Kmart shopper has issued an urgent warning after his son got injured at his local store.

The Sydney shopper, who wished to remain anonymous, told 7NEWS.com.au that he and his 5-year-old son had been walking through the clothing section of a Miranda Kmart when the boy suddenly let out a "huge scream".

The dad was alarmed when he found a long, bloody scratch on his son's arm which he suspected was caused by a metal clothing rack.

k1i4jXYxFeZsnS7-v8xN5qEYqX7P4BkGgwGKQQhLQPfy3W-U8XWAfc9Ab_E9t_r7agDCqDBfFTSO3cZY7H4QR5Affy9vtOE0BjlHp3EJxORuivxhfAcptENpsY6Cn_f21VF_anI

A Sydney shopper found a long, bloody scratch on his son’s arm after the 5-year-old screamed while they were walking through the clothing section of a Kmart Miranda store. Credit: 7News.com.au.

The Sydney dad told 7NEWS.com.au: “I was at Kmart Miranda over the weekend with my son, who’s five.”

“We were walking around when all of a sudden he let out this huge scream."

“I turned around and he was holding his arm - he’d been walking through a clothing section and had cut himself on one of the metal clothing hooks."

The Sydney shopper claimed that the metal hooks have "very sharp" ends and can be "dangerous" when there are no plastic price tags covering them.

“Some of the hooks have plastic price tags at the end, but the ones that don’t are actually very sharp. I think the plastic covers protect them a bit, but if the hooks are bare they can do some damage. It’s dangerous," said the shopper.

“My son was in tears over it because there was some blood and that upset him as much as anything. It wasn’t a great experience.”

“My son didn’t sustain a serious injury, but it could’ve been a lot worse."

“The hooks are at different heights and the ones that are lower to the ground can certainly cause injuries to kids, to their arms or even faces when there are no plastic coverings."

“I think parents should be cautious of them and I’d like to see Kmart add a little more protection.”

h88ujl_z5mdbboLrRFGvCwsXlUyCmK5tlEWOd7-64Rff7OmfkGXCKYLvdjkmipqoWzMWVjl-2w5i7wYtxrO51cGSFxI53DJsdPtYpX7Bs0YoCuCgKRmzjTjO5pcK6OnspLWVWSQ
RK8AeXEmm3BfGtYlTXTz1toRZopczBoiLgbTZ8B1fFSukEBVUwjQv7HmpJER9_HVTnJ_lTr6GnYPruWThJsGXECzGz6rwQDHS6jhCPgM-I9daJlBzcPsFAVh1QtkTD14r-5naVU

The Sydney dad said that the metal hooks have "very sharp" ends and can be "dangerous" when there are no plastic price tags covering them. Credit: 7NEWS.com.au.

It should be noted that last year, a similar incident happened when a Sydney mum called out Kmart after her daughter sustained a serious eye injury — which required two surgeries — from the apparel hooks,

Kmart vowed to add 1.2 million plastic caps to cover the 'apparel arms', which caused the eye injury to the little girl, at their stores across the country earlier this year.

At the time, a Kmart spokesperson confirmed that the move was meant to "significantly reduce the risk of injury or laceration if someone accidentally hits the apparel arm".

Kmart also confirmed to 7NEWS.com.au that the roll-out of the plastic caps is now complete.

It is understood that the clothing hook that injured the boy's arm is different to the apparel arms that injured the girl's eye.

Currently, the recent injury is being viewed as an unfortunate incident and is under review.

Reactions: Tervueren
Sponsored
A Kmart shopper has issued an urgent warning after his son got injured at his local store.

The Sydney shopper, who wished to remain anonymous, told 7NEWS.com.au that he and his 5-year-old son had been walking through the clothing section of a Miranda Kmart when the boy suddenly let out a "huge scream".

The dad was alarmed when he found a long, bloody scratch on his son's arm which he suspected was caused by a metal clothing rack.

k1i4jXYxFeZsnS7-v8xN5qEYqX7P4BkGgwGKQQhLQPfy3W-U8XWAfc9Ab_E9t_r7agDCqDBfFTSO3cZY7H4QR5Affy9vtOE0BjlHp3EJxORuivxhfAcptENpsY6Cn_f21VF_anI

A Sydney shopper found a long, bloody scratch on his son’s arm after the 5-year-old screamed while they were walking through the clothing section of a Kmart Miranda store. Credit: 7News.com.au.

The Sydney dad told 7NEWS.com.au: “I was at Kmart Miranda over the weekend with my son, who’s five.”

“We were walking around when all of a sudden he let out this huge scream."

“I turned around and he was holding his arm - he’d been walking through a clothing section and had cut himself on one of the metal clothing hooks."

The Sydney shopper claimed that the metal hooks have "very sharp" ends and can be "dangerous" when there are no plastic price tags covering them.

“Some of the hooks have plastic price tags at the end, but the ones that don’t are actually very sharp. I think the plastic covers protect them a bit, but if the hooks are bare they can do some damage. It’s dangerous," said the shopper.

“My son was in tears over it because there was some blood and that upset him as much as anything. It wasn’t a great experience.”

“My son didn’t sustain a serious injury, but it could’ve been a lot worse."

“The hooks are at different heights and the ones that are lower to the ground can certainly cause injuries to kids, to their arms or even faces when there are no plastic coverings."

“I think parents should be cautious of them and I’d like to see Kmart add a little more protection.”

h88ujl_z5mdbboLrRFGvCwsXlUyCmK5tlEWOd7-64Rff7OmfkGXCKYLvdjkmipqoWzMWVjl-2w5i7wYtxrO51cGSFxI53DJsdPtYpX7Bs0YoCuCgKRmzjTjO5pcK6OnspLWVWSQ
RK8AeXEmm3BfGtYlTXTz1toRZopczBoiLgbTZ8B1fFSukEBVUwjQv7HmpJER9_HVTnJ_lTr6GnYPruWThJsGXECzGz6rwQDHS6jhCPgM-I9daJlBzcPsFAVh1QtkTD14r-5naVU

The Sydney dad said that the metal hooks have "very sharp" ends and can be "dangerous" when there are no plastic price tags covering them. Credit: 7NEWS.com.au.

It should be noted that last year, a similar incident happened when a Sydney mum called out Kmart after her daughter sustained a serious eye injury — which required two surgeries — from the apparel hooks,

Kmart vowed to add 1.2 million plastic caps to cover the 'apparel arms', which caused the eye injury to the little girl, at their stores across the country earlier this year.

At the time, a Kmart spokesperson confirmed that the move was meant to "significantly reduce the risk of injury or laceration if someone accidentally hits the apparel arm".

Kmart also confirmed to 7NEWS.com.au that the roll-out of the plastic caps is now complete.

It is understood that the clothing hook that injured the boy's arm is different to the apparel arms that injured the girl's eye.

Currently, the recent injury is being viewed as an unfortunate incident and is under review.
Is the father going to sue Kmart?