“I have never seen discounts like this!”: Coles shopper REVEALS how she scored $243 meat buys for only $10 by shopping at an EXACT TIME

“I have never seen discounts like this!”: Coles shopper REVEALS how she scored $243 meat buys for only $10 by shopping at an EXACT TIME
I'm sure most of us here at the SDC are on the lookout for sale dates to score quality items at a cheaper price (we wouldn't be called the Seniors Discount Club if we didn’t love a bargain). But did you know that you can still score marked down items even if you shop on a regular day?

Coles customer Sarah took to Facebook to reveal the best times to score reduced buys at her local supermarket.

The shopper posted a photo of her epic haul of meat buys — which included whole chooks, chicken tenderloins, diced lamb, and steak packs — sharing that she nabbed them for just $10.05 despite being originally worth $243.30.

RRX2I-bIP3jB69BClwN1QpKu1NiF-rRHT9zLFfCzXh-JLLpVLmZ7enZGOpej1qOSOL4i6XqKClu_Bw2eWnUsEKSjKFHJYj9tTpo9juF7YMeFfqnnQueTug043tuZq9eG4WR0_vM

Coles shopper Sarah scored $243 worth of meat buys for only $10.05. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Sarah also remarked that other food products were also marked down, writing: “Was also a huge rack of goods for all 20 and 50 cents, stocked up on honey, peanut butter, snacks and extras for the food bank and meat given to a family who will very much appreciate it.”

So, how did Sarah score such a bargain?

Sarah revealed in the comments that she goes grocery shopping at her local store on specific time schedules, noting that the supermarket offers items with different marked down prices depending on the time of the day.

Sarah wrote: “Most do 10-20% off in the morning of expiry day, 50% off just before dinner and then 90% just before close. If it’s not marked down, try asking if [they are] willing to [go] further - often they will.”

However, Sarah highlighted that every Coles store is different so it's best to ask staff members to learn about the best times to shop for reduced buys.

“Different stores have markdown times, what I’ve learnt is ask the times and policies,” she wrote.

The post was met with praises from Facebook users, with many congratulating her for her epic haul.

One person wrote: “Congrats and serious question, why does anyone shop at any other time of the day?! For real!”

“Man, I have never seen discounts like this! Well done,” added another.

A third wrote: “So happy for you, love seeing someone score!”

IyQVOjCX_95zI8tWmt91HJRQaGRxXrMtFVwz8bGfIRtw5QWGJiN-RG7h7MVwvmZpJJDHA9DD8JgnjXyY-QnyofWT-gvxNW7AgNjR-x3i4yUYU76rVOfAt8tqKJ_jezZjHkt5dho

Sarah revealed that Coles offers products at slashed prices throughout the day, noting that you must ask the staff members of your local store for the best schedule as stores may differ. Credit: Bloomberg/Bloomberg via Getty Images.

Coles responds

A Coles spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au that many factors are being taken into account when items are marked down.

The spokesperson said: “We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its Best Before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.”

“Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering.”

Do you know the best times to purchase bargain buys at your local supermarket? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC that are near your area can be informed of them too!

Sponsored
This is a great way to avoid food wastage. Good on Coles

She is extremely lucky, as Very few Coles do such big markdowns, and usually only 2-3 items.
What I really hate is paying full price, only to find when home that the meat "Use By" date is that same day. Shopping done betwn 4.30-6.45pm.
Freeze it straight away and it will be fine even a week later when you go to use it

Reactions: Peppa
I'm sure most of us here at the SDC are on the lookout for sale dates to score quality items at a cheaper price (we wouldn't be called the Seniors Discount Club if we didn’t love a bargain). But did you know that you can still score marked down items even if you shop on a regular day?

Coles customer Sarah took to Facebook to reveal the best times to score reduced buys at her local supermarket.

The shopper posted a photo of her epic haul of meat buys — which included whole chooks, chicken tenderloins, diced lamb, and steak packs — sharing that she nabbed them for just $10.05 despite being originally worth $243.30.

RRX2I-bIP3jB69BClwN1QpKu1NiF-rRHT9zLFfCzXh-JLLpVLmZ7enZGOpej1qOSOL4i6XqKClu_Bw2eWnUsEKSjKFHJYj9tTpo9juF7YMeFfqnnQueTug043tuZq9eG4WR0_vM

Coles shopper Sarah scored $243 worth of meat buys for only $10.05. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

Sarah also remarked that other food products were also marked down, writing: “Was also a huge rack of goods for all 20 and 50 cents, stocked up on honey, peanut butter, snacks and extras for the food bank and meat given to a family who will very much appreciate it.”

So, how did Sarah score such a bargain?

Sarah revealed in the comments that she goes grocery shopping at her local store on specific time schedules, noting that the supermarket offers items with different marked down prices depending on the time of the day.

Sarah wrote: “Most do 10-20% off in the morning of expiry day, 50% off just before dinner and then 90% just before close. If it’s not marked down, try asking if [they are] willing to [go] further - often they will.”

However, Sarah highlighted that every Coles store is different so it's best to ask staff members to learn about the best times to shop for reduced buys.

“Different stores have markdown times, what I’ve learnt is ask the times and policies,” she wrote.

The post was met with praises from Facebook users, with many congratulating her for her epic haul.

One person wrote: “Congrats and serious question, why does anyone shop at any other time of the day?! For real!”

“Man, I have never seen discounts like this! Well done,” added another.

A third wrote: “So happy for you, love seeing someone score!”

IyQVOjCX_95zI8tWmt91HJRQaGRxXrMtFVwz8bGfIRtw5QWGJiN-RG7h7MVwvmZpJJDHA9DD8JgnjXyY-QnyofWT-gvxNW7AgNjR-x3i4yUYU76rVOfAt8tqKJ_jezZjHkt5dho

Sarah revealed that Coles offers products at slashed prices throughout the day, noting that you must ask the staff members of your local store for the best schedule as stores may differ. Credit: Bloomberg/Bloomberg via Getty Images.

Coles responds

A Coles spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au that many factors are being taken into account when items are marked down.

The spokesperson said: “We know our customers love good value so when a product is near its Best Before date we often mark it down so it can be enjoyed for a cheaper price, instead of being wasted.”

“Markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores. There are many things that can impact when this takes place including stock on hand, delivery schedules and team member rostering.”

Do you know the best times to purchase bargain buys at your local supermarket? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC that are near your area can be informed of them too!
I think it's appaling that this person didn't leave any for anyone else

Reactions: BabsL
She is extremely lucky, as Very few Coles do such big markdowns, and usually only 2-3 items.
What I really hate is paying full price, only to find when home that the meat "Use By" date is that same day. Shopping done betwn 4.30-6.45pm.

but you can freeze as long as before date. Will keep for a few extra weeks. Some of the prepared fresh food like lasagna etc. even have this printed on the back of container with instructions for heating from both frozen and fresh.

All super markets do it, for all sorts of items, I shop and Woolworths and get the same thing.
It's good that we do things this way. I always hear the horror stories of America and how they literally fire people for giving away food that otherwise would've been thrown away. Capitalism has ruined this world in my opinion.

but you can freeze as long as before date. Will keep for a few extra weeks. Some of the prepared fresh food like lasagna etc. even have this printed on the back of container with instructions for heating from both frozen and fresh.
I have also seen unsold items that have been marked down that didn't sell (not meat) but good food donated to the local food bank. As well as being picked up by OZHARVEST to cook meals for homeless.