“Chicken Kiev” to “Chicken Kyiv” ⁠— Woolworths takes a stand on the Russia-Ukraine conflict

Woolworths announced on Thursday that its own brand of "Chicken Kiev" will be renamed to "Chicken Kyiv" to honour the real name of the Ukrainian capital city.

The move is said to be an expression of support for the Ukrainian people as the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict endangers their security.

Additionally, other Deli buys that are similarly named will no longer be using the Russian spelling.

fnQGvpJU0TBiyiv5Oh9sayfn11R2giXvfbPy1ApAvUxDSk1-0rkNrZW4MnAh6DSBo5uZ7yFeW3xBRbxsBxsiu00KXunH0GxaNzsD6Zb6MevdbTE68ojJ0IWI7N3CXdIEXwaSgzU

Woolworths announced the renaming of “Chicken Kiev” to “Chicken Kyiv” to express its solidarity with Ukrainian-Australians. Credit: Woolworths.

The supermarket giant revealed that it had discussed the matter with the Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations before making the move.

Woolworths said that the "small, but meaningful" act is its way of expressing its solidarity with the Ukrainians living in Australia.

A Woolworths spokesperson said: “Kyiv is the globally recognised name of the capital, so it’s only appropriate we reflect that in the labelling of the product.”

“The name change will be made immediately online, and gradually roll out to our own brand products and signage in-store in the coming weeks.”

The Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations expressed their gratitude for the move, with chairman Stefan Romaniw saying that the major retailer's action on the global issue showed respect for Australian-Ukrainians.

“Woolworths gets it — Ukraine is different to Russia. Ukraine, Ukraine has its own language, its own culture, its own history. That’s why using the Russian spelling for the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, in ‘Chicken Kiev’ has always offended Ukrainians,” he said.

“By changing the name of Chicken Kiev to Chicken Kyiv, a major Australian business has shown it stands with Ukraine in support of democracy, decency and peace."

“We hope other food providers can make the same change Woolworths has made. As Ukraine continues to suffer, we invite all Australian businesses to consider how they can be socially responsible and incorporate their values into their business practices.”

Woolworths also pledged to donate 50 cents for every pack of its own brand Chicken Kyiv sold to the Australian Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal over the next four weeks.

STRcOsGL2xrhPHYyTOLrskAGJ261JSgcAl3BentCPhCwc6TmCkMcAipphzS-gWprOgOCCmx2CWEWPnLNMHcC9WSkF2duajx_2CYwPNIJXgdjLvA9FKy4jgWo9m3iytakDgV391o

Woolworths will be donating 50 cents for every pack of its own brand’s Chicken Kyiv sold. Credit: NCA NewsWire / Sarah Marshall.

It should be noted, however, that while the supermarket's brand will have the "Chicken Kyiv" name, the supermarket is not in control of the labelling of the other brands of the chicken products that it carries.

Below is a video showing how the Russia-Ukraine conflict is impacting the prices of basic commodities:

Credit: YouTube/WION

What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored
When I was having an MRI last Monday, the flowers being delivered to the desk were sunflowers, the symbol of peace for Ukraine.
It brought tears to my eyes, as I explained to the girls on the desk the significance of the 🌻🌻 at this time of turmoil.
The photo of the Queen at her first public meeting this week showed blue and yellow flowers behind her, also significant to Ukraine...their flag has 2 horizontal stripes of blue and yellow. The blue represents the wide blue sky, the yellow represents their fields of wheat. Blue symbolises calm and yellow symbolises joy. May these return quickly to these suffering people.
I applaud Woolies stance.

When I was having an MRI last Monday, the flowers being delivered to the desk were sunflowers, the symbol of peace for Ukraine.
It brought tears to my eyes, as I explained to the girls on the desk the significance of the 🌻🌻 at this time of turmoil.
The photo of the Queen at her first public meeting this week showed blue and yellow flowers behind her, also significant to Ukraine...their flag has 2 horizontal stripes of blue and yellow. The blue represents the wide blue sky, the yellow represents their fields of wheat. Blue symbolises calm and yellow symbolises joy. May these return quickly to these suffering people.
I applaud Woolies stance.
Totally agree, trying to support Ukranian cross stitchers by buying a couple of their patterns on Etsy, my little way to trying to suport them in this terrible and wrong war.

“Chicken Kiev” to “Chicken Kyiv” ⁠— Woolworths takes a stand on the Russia-Ukraine conflict

Woolworths announced on Thursday that its own brand of "Chicken Kiev" will be renamed to "Chicken Kyiv" to honour the real name of the Ukrainian capital city.

The move is said to be an expression of support for the Ukrainian people as the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict endangers their security.

Additionally, other Deli buys that are similarly named will no longer be using the Russian spelling.

fnQGvpJU0TBiyiv5Oh9sayfn11R2giXvfbPy1ApAvUxDSk1-0rkNrZW4MnAh6DSBo5uZ7yFeW3xBRbxsBxsiu00KXunH0GxaNzsD6Zb6MevdbTE68ojJ0IWI7N3CXdIEXwaSgzU

Woolworths announced the renaming of “Chicken Kiev” to “Chicken Kyiv” to express its solidarity with Ukrainian-Australians. Credit: Woolworths.

The supermarket giant revealed that it had discussed the matter with the Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations before making the move.

Woolworths said that the "small, but meaningful" act is its way of expressing its solidarity with the Ukrainians living in Australia.

A Woolworths spokesperson said: “Kyiv is the globally recognised name of the capital, so it’s only appropriate we reflect that in the labelling of the product.”

“The name change will be made immediately online, and gradually roll out to our own brand products and signage in-store in the coming weeks.”

The Australian Federation of Ukrainian Organisations expressed their gratitude for the move, with chairman Stefan Romaniw saying that the major retailer's action on the global issue showed respect for Australian-Ukrainians.

“Woolworths gets it — Ukraine is different to Russia. Ukraine, Ukraine has its own language, its own culture, its own history. That’s why using the Russian spelling for the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, in ‘Chicken Kiev’ has always offended Ukrainians,” he said.

“By changing the name of Chicken Kiev to Chicken Kyiv, a major Australian business has shown it stands with Ukraine in support of democracy, decency and peace."

“We hope other food providers can make the same change Woolworths has made. As Ukraine continues to suffer, we invite all Australian businesses to consider how they can be socially responsible and incorporate their values into their business practices.”

Woolworths also pledged to donate 50 cents for every pack of its own brand Chicken Kyiv sold to the Australian Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal over the next four weeks.

STRcOsGL2xrhPHYyTOLrskAGJ261JSgcAl3BentCPhCwc6TmCkMcAipphzS-gWprOgOCCmx2CWEWPnLNMHcC9WSkF2duajx_2CYwPNIJXgdjLvA9FKy4jgWo9m3iytakDgV391o

Woolworths will be donating 50 cents for every pack of its own brand’s Chicken Kyiv sold. Credit: NCA NewsWire / Sarah Marshall.

It should be noted, however, that while the supermarket's brand will have the "Chicken Kyiv" name, the supermarket is not in control of the labelling of the other brands of the chicken products that it carries.

Below is a video showing how the Russia-Ukraine conflict is impacting the prices of basic commodities:

Credit: YouTube/WION

What are your thoughts on this?

I doubt the average shopper would even notice the spelling (spelling is so bad these days anyway lol) or even care.

I doubt the average shopper would even notice the spelling (spelling is so bad these days anyway lol) or even care.
I too doubt that many will notice or care but the people who do notice will hopefully understand the motives behind the change, and I'm sure anyone of Ukrainian extract would appreciate it.:)

• Love
Reactions: Gaena and Jena60
I too doubt that many will notice or care but the people who do notice will hopefully understand the motives behind the change, and I'm sure anyone of Ukrainian extract would appreciate it.:)
That answers a question that has been irritating me since the terrible Russian invasion/ conflict began, it is the way that TV presenters seem to be incapable of pronouncing The Ukrainian Capital cities name without making themselves sound stupid. The spelling of Kyiv is not English it is Ukrainian so why should the pronounciation be in English? Only a small thing but a constant irritation to me, sorry but I cant help it, the worst examples of this would have to be Ki-eve or even Keeve. Apologies to any members who are of Ukrainian exttract, I could be the one who is wrong here but to me the correct prononciation is Kieve the same as the much loved chicken dish that Woolworths have now changed the spelling of.